The ideal guitarists' nail file???

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Jim Thompson

Re: The ideal guitarists' nail file???

Post by Jim Thompson » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:01 pm

I used to have a Diamond Deb -- think that's what it was called. Small and fit in my wallet. They don't have them in stores anymore. Had it for decades but now it's lost. I do carry a wallet size piece of cardboard with 220 and 400 grit paper on either side. It's gotten pretty ratty -- need to make a new one.

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:59 pm

Are those multi (3 sides) sided filers okay? Will they cover the need for sandpaper for polishing? Or

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:34 pm

For many years I used a four-way buffer , but got annoyed by all of the writing on it (Tropical Shine was the manufacturer). I started instead to use the four way buffer sold by Strings by Mail because it only had writing on one section, and it was slightly smaller so it fit in pocket, pocketbook, or purse.
No need for anything else except the glass file for major shaping; the buffer makes it glassy smooth after.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:35 am

Nice! What side do you use for polishing?

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:51 am

twistedblues wrote:Nice! What side do you use for polishing?
One side of the SBM buffer has a gray area and a pink area. It is obvious that this is the course file and 2nd step because you can see the glitter of the carborundum crystals on the gray section. The other side is white and gray. This is the polishing side, with gray being the finest.
Most of the time, the glass file does a fine enough job that I only use the two finest buffer areas to get a glassy finish. But my nails seem particularly fine grained and finish very nicely. If your glass file isn't as good or your nails are not as dense, you might need the courser pink area on the other side to start off in the polishing process.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:56 pm

The SBM glass file is virtually identical to the Wolfram (I have both). Wolfram is also now making a glass file for artificial nails as well, check their site. And SBM and Wolfram make 3" versions, great to keep in a pocket, case or purse.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:13 am

Trondis23 wrote:This is a nail file for guitarists
Wow, this looks awesome! :merci:

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:14 am

Les Backshall wrote:Personally, I file to the final shape with an ordinary nail file and then do the final smoothing and buffing with a few grades of emery paper. Cut a small square, fold it once or twice and it will follow the shape of your nails. A few sheets should last you a couple of years at least. You can also get some double sided tape and stick it to old credit cards to make thin, flexible files.

Les
That's a really good idea about getting some double sided tape and sticking it to old credit cards! :merci: :)

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:55 am

lagartija wrote:
twistedblues wrote:Nice! What side do you use for polishing?
One side of the SBM buffer has a gray area and a pink area. It is obvious that this is the course file and 2nd step because you can see the glitter of the carborundum crystals on the gray section. The other side is white and gray. This is the polishing side, with gray being the finest.
Most of the time, the glass file does a fine enough job that I only use the two finest buffer areas to get a glassy finish. But my nails seem particularly fine grained and finish very nicely. If your glass file isn't as good or your nails are not as dense, you might need the courser pink area on the other side to start off in the polishing process.
Thank you!

leafhound

Post by leafhound » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:01 am

[Mod edit; no commercial sites please.]
Search for myglassnailfiles.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”