Butterfly on my fingers

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Re: Butterfly on my fingers

Post by Vito Simplicio » Sat May 26, 2012 2:55 pm

I've ordered a set. They are probably wondering why the rash of orders lately. :lol: The design looks ingenious in its simplicity. It kind of reminds me of the SoloEtte silent guitars. Hopefully they'll live up to our expectations. I've been playing with acrylic nails for over a decade now and it would be great not to have to run down to the nail salon for my regular fill-ins. :chaud:
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Pierre330

Post by Pierre330 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:49 pm

I look forward to hearing a recording made using these. I might be able to go back to my nail biting if they sound decent!
Pierre

A painter paints pictures on canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence. - Leopold Stokowski

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Sat May 26, 2012 4:13 pm

Vito, let us know how they turn out. Do you need any nail at all with these things?
"Besides, this criticism of Segovia is pointless. If you disagree with what Segovia did, take that energy and go out and do something positive. Otherwise, shut up." - Eliot Fisk

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Sat May 26, 2012 6:05 pm

Tarbaby wrote:When I play ponticello, I try to play with just the nails to get the most "metallic" tone I can. Is that possible with these?
Well, they're copper, that'd be metallic, right? :lol:

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Sun May 27, 2012 12:10 am

Sean Eric Howard wrote:Vito, let us know how they turn out. Do you need any nail at all with these things?
Apparently from the picture it looks like the copper becomes the "nail."

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Sun May 27, 2012 12:12 am

JQ. wrote:
Tarbaby wrote:When I play ponticello, I try to play with just the nails to get the most "metallic" tone I can. Is that possible with these?
Well, they're copper, that'd be metallic, right? :lol:
Indeed. :wink:

I would think so, Alan, but we won't know until we try them out.

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

HNLim

Re: Butterfly on my fingers J------WebKitFormBoundaryiOTpAbV

Post by HNLim » Thu May 31, 2012 8:28 am

Just gotten my butterfly. Didn't have much time to test it but the initial result is impressive. The treble sound is definitely clearer, louder and more brilliant. Not metallic sounding at all. I didn't have time to read through the instruction to fine-tune it to my fingers. It should be easy to get used to it.

Will make another comments after some time when I fine-tune it and get used to it.

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Thu May 31, 2012 9:40 am

I was just wondering when we were going to start receiving these. This is encouraging. Thanks for the update.

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Thu May 31, 2012 12:40 pm

HNLim wrote:Just gotten my butterfly. Didn't have much time to test it but the initial result is impressive. The treble sound is definitely clearer, louder and more brilliant. Not metallic sounding at all. I didn't have time to read through the instruction to fine-tune it to my fingers. It should be easy to get used to it.

Will make another comments after some time when I fine-tune it and get used to it.
Any issue with these things being too loose or tight on the fingers?
"Besides, this criticism of Segovia is pointless. If you disagree with what Segovia did, take that energy and go out and do something positive. Otherwise, shut up." - Eliot Fisk

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Thu May 31, 2012 1:01 pm

I'm sure that we'll find that out soon but from looking at the picture, it looks like you can conform them to the shape of your fingers.

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Thu May 31, 2012 1:48 pm

They are adjustable to suit your fingers. I am seriously considering cutting off my nails. Let me try them n for another day or two before I decide to go "bald". I am also planning to order another 4 more sets soon.

It would be good if they can offer the 3 picks in different colour as a set. I had difficulty identifying which pick belongs to which finger. So I use a small file to make small markings on each of the picks to identify them.

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Thu May 31, 2012 8:46 pm

So they do fit comfortably?

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Thu May 31, 2012 11:07 pm

And how do they sound? And do they feel 'solid' (no movement when striking notes)?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:49 pm

HNLim, It sounds like you like them so far. How long have these things been around, anyway?

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:17 pm

robin loops wrote:And how do they sound? And do they feel 'solid' (no movement when striking notes)?
Let's put things in perspective. For those who are blessed with nice finger tip and strong thick nails, you might just prefer the natural way. For those with weak nails or poor finger tip profile, the butterfly should in my opinion be the better option. As for me, I am comfortable with both, I like the strong and brilliant treble sound with the butterfly.

I think you need to be using them for several days to get used to it as the position of final contact with the string changes more to the center than the end of the finger tip. You don't get your nails chewed-up after a long playing session. Keeping long nails for me is very troublesome as my work requires me to handle vehicles engine. The amount of black dirt getting stuck under the nails requires me to not only brush the underside of my nails but also using a nail scraper to dig out the dirt. Short nails is definitely the better option for me.

Sean Eric Howard wrote:HNLim, It sounds like you like them so far. How long have these things been around, anyway?
I only saw them on e - b a y recently and decided to try them out. I am buying additional sets most likely with three different colours so that I do not get confused which butterfly for which finger. I am taking some time to decide because the coloured butterfly are made of aluminium as opposed to the first set I got which is copper and harder. I should be placing an order next week.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”