Butterfly on my fingers

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Re: Butterfly on my fingers

Post by Vito Simplicio » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:32 pm

HNLim wrote: Let's put things in perspective. For those who are blessed with nice finger tip and strong thick nails, you might just prefer the natural way.
No doubt. I think that those of us that are interested have weak nails so just speaking for me I'm looking forward to trying them and doing away with regular trips to the nail salon for acrylic nails. I hope to get my order next week.
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:20 pm

My wife informed me that she forgot to hit the "Submit" button when ordering these
Vito Simplicio wrote:I was just wondering when we were going to start receiving these. This is encouraging. Thanks for the update.
My wife informed me yesterday that she forgot to hit the "Submit" button when ordering these. :evil: Now I have to wait all over again. :(

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:14 pm

Vito Simplicio wrote:My wife informed me that she forgot to hit the "Submit" button when ordering these
Vito Simplicio wrote:I was just wondering when we were going to start receiving these. This is encouraging. Thanks for the update.
My wife informed me yesterday that she forgot to hit the "Submit" button when ordering these. :evil: Now I have to wait all over again. :(
Vito, were you waiting for your acrylic nails to dry and that is why your wife was ordering them for you? :P
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:54 pm

Yeah, something like that. :wink:

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Ben Hoffman

Post by Ben Hoffman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:31 am

HNLim wrote:I am buying additional sets most likely with three different colours so that I do not get confused which butterfly for which finger. I am taking some time to decide because the coloured butterfly are made of aluminium as opposed to the first set I got which is copper and harder. I should be placing an order next week.
You could also fashion tabs to put on the copper butterflies to color-separate them--of course the tabs would be attached away from the striking portion. One idea would be to cut a little snip off of the adhesive portion of a colored post-it note, for each finger, and wrap it around an unaffecting section of the butterfly, adhering the sticky to itself, making a little flag.

The downside of this would be visibility to any audience you would play for, as you probably would have to make the "flags" be on the outside of the fingers rather than the undersides.

Maybe it could work for practicing?

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:49 pm

HNLim wrote: As for me, I am comfortable with both, I like the strong and brilliant treble sound with the butterfly.
Any chance you could post a short scale mp3 or something - how brilliant is the sound?
"Besides, this criticism of Segovia is pointless. If you disagree with what Segovia did, take that energy and go out and do something positive. Otherwise, shut up." - Eliot Fisk

CityEnd

Post by CityEnd » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:17 pm

I am taking some time to decide because the coloured butterfly are made of aluminium as opposed to the first set I got which is copper and harder
I believe all three sets are made with copper with different colours. There should not be any difference playing with either set.

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:43 pm

I've ordered a set myself. It would be great to not have my fiddly 'a' fingernail to work around anymore.
"Besides, this criticism of Segovia is pointless. If you disagree with what Segovia did, take that energy and go out and do something positive. Otherwise, shut up." - Eliot Fisk

jimmyz1972

Post by jimmyz1972 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:53 am

i have messed up psoriasis nails and that looks promising , please let us know when you get and try, very insterested.

chelson

Post by chelson » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:12 am

My nail is small and weak too. So, just regular cuts to keep it as short as possible so that it can be strong and dun break easily, when feel that its long enough to turn soft. Nevertheless, really wanting for some reviews on this, which personally felt that it's not truly practical and may introduce many other issues in order to solve one problem. Or, it may be successful too.
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:52 am

chelson wrote:My nail is small and weak too. So, just regular cuts to keep it as short as possible so that it can be strong and dun break easily, when feel that its long enough to turn soft. Nevertheless, really wanting for some reviews on this, which personally felt that it's not truly practical and may introduce many other issues in order to solve one problem. Or, it may be successful too.
I can always let you try them. Coffee on me.

chelson

Post by chelson » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:07 pm

HNLim wrote:
chelson wrote:My nail is small and weak too. So, just regular cuts to keep it as short as possible so that it can be strong and dun break easily, when feel that its long enough to turn soft. Nevertheless, really wanting for some reviews on this, which personally felt that it's not truly practical and may introduce many other issues in order to solve one problem. Or, it may be successful too.
I can always let you try them. Coffee on me.
Coffee sure! But not trying. You know me better, never like add on.

Learning how to control every tone colors with every bit of my finger tip is my challenge and what I always want to achieve.

Just a joke, no offense. Think I wouldn't want to finger both my Hanzhou and Spanish "wife" with that thingy. Hahaha!
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:10 pm

I'm tempted to try these, but not for classical.

I play with relatively short nails and I also play steel. My nails take an absolute beating on steel strings. Placing these picks just under my nails could protect them without my having to make too much of an adjustment in my technique.

I'm disappointed though that they don't have something that could be used for the thumb.

henry dumay

Post by henry dumay » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:31 pm

I began using the butterfly picks 3 weeks ago and have found them to have
a great tone.
I did, however, find that they either slid a bit on my finger and did not
feel quite stable........

My solution:
Get some cloth (not paper) tape from the drug store.. like 3M Durapore.
Whatever width you can get, cut 1/4 inch strips about 4 inches long.
Put on the picks, and wrap this tape around the last joint of your finger..
over the nail and around.
This keeps the pick from sliding and gives it a stable feeling.

Henry.......... :bye:
2000 Olivo Chiliquinga Grand Concert (Equador)

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Mine came in yesterday. They are a bit fiddly to adjust; I needed a pair of pliers to fit them on my fingers so they weren't too tight or too loose. The tone was rather too metallic for my ears.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”