Butterfly on my fingers

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Rehoboam

Re: Butterfly on my fingers

Post by Rehoboam » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:34 pm

Could someone please record a video for me? I would like to see how these sound, but I can not find a sound sample anywhere.

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:24 am

I've never seen these before, I'll have to research them. I would love to know how they sound.

dbeau

Post by dbeau » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:57 pm

SO ?
Are they any good?
Have they benefited any of the players who bought them?
I'm anxious to hear, as silence is condemning.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:31 pm

Let me help you by listing the following points:
1. If you have strong nails, then you may not require them.
2. If your work or for some other reason forbid you to keep nails, then this will work.
3. I am comfortable with both but I am lazy to wear them.
4. You need to make sure that the butterfly is tightly wrap around the fingers, otherwise it will be uncomfortable.
5. Make sure you spend some time to adjust it around your fingers just below the fingertip joint, otherwise it will be uncomfortable.
6. After the first set, I bought additional 3 sets, all different colour so that I have one colour for each finger.

Hope this helps.

I think it is not too expensive to give it a try. Maybe you can request them to mix the different colour, one for each finger.
1978 Yamaha GC30A-S/BRW
2012 Esteve Adalid-S/BRW
2014 Sen #5-S/BRW
2016 HNLim-S/BRW
1974 S.Yairi 950-S/BRW-0-string-convert 2015
2017 HN Lim-14-string-S/BRW
HN Lim 13-string-S/NEW-WIP
1974 S.Yairi 800-Retired

ALL ARE FOR SALE IF PRICE IS RIGHT

clivepics

Post by clivepics » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:47 am

I guess much will depend on how secure they are on your fingers [do they slip around etc.} do they make different sizes. I had an "ouch" feeling imagining them being used to tap the guitar - mucho dento!!!

Awohaliunega

Post by Awohaliunega » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:16 pm

I am glad I found this forum. I play both classical and steel string guitar.

It isn't the playing that messes up my nails. I'm a machinery fabricator. I build machinery from scratch, so I work with steel at my job. I also do my own vehicle maintenance. Both occupations make it a problem to keep nails long enough to pick. Inevitably I'll bang or hang a nail and it will tear or chip; then I feel crippled when I try to play guitar.

I just can't get the hang of conventional steel or plastic finger picks. I like to feel the strings as I'm playing, and I consider it almost a sin to use solid finger picks on a classical guitar. There's just an intimacy that comes from playing a guitar without picks that is lost when using them. I know that you know what I mean. Consequently, I've been looking for picks exactly like those described in this article.

I found some similar picks on e - b a y that looked promising (see photo), but they are only available from the UK through e - b a y; and they look a bit clunky to me. I really wanted something that brought the strike point closer to my nails. Then I found the ad on e - b a y for the "butterfly" finger picks and decided to try them. Before I order, though, I wanted to see if there was any mention of these picks on any guitar forum; so I Googled "butterfly finger picks" and found this thread.

Thank you, HNLim, for the good information. I agree that it's worth the price of the picks to try them. If I don't like them, I'm just out the price of the picks. If I like them, then I'm better off and have the solution to my problem well in hand, if you'll pardon the pun.

This thread has convinced me to try the butterfly finger picks. Thanks a bunch to all of you guys.

Oh. You all may already know about this trick, but I've found that it really helps strengthen my nails and takes away a lot of their brittleness to either eat a serving or two of gelatin each day. It has really helped me to strengthen my nails. Unfortunately, it's still no match to the beating my nails get from my job. The best solution for that is to wear gloves; but in my line of work, where touch is just as important as sight in fitting and fine-tuning small machined machinery parts, gloves are sometimes impractical.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:21 am

Hi Awohaliunega, welcome to the forum. Could I invite you to introduce yourself here?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

slidika

Post by slidika » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:17 am

Rasgueados feel/sound ok? No slippage or anything?
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:07 pm

slidika wrote:
Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:17 am
Rasgueados feel/sound ok? No slippage or anything?
I'm wondering about this as well

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:55 pm

What about "p"?
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”