Hooked Nails?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Jny6strng

Hooked Nails?

Post by Jny6strng » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:54 am

Hooked nails:
If you have a hooked nail, and many people do, then you will not have a good tone, and your technique will also suffer, but don't worry, there is a quick fix. Acquire a lighter and a spoon. If you're a child, then don't get a lighter and ask your parents to read this post and help you. Why use a spoon and a lighter? Because you can change the shape of your nail. Heat up the spoon, but not too hot, and mold your hooked nail to a perfect spoon contour. There, now your nail is fixed for 4 hours. I do this everyday, and I'm sure plenty professionals do the same. If this is already mentioned somewhere on the sight, then I apologize. Sincerely, Jon

altnaez

Re: Hooked Nails?

Post by altnaez » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi Jny6strng.
First time I hear of this technique. however, It's not to clear how you use the hot spoon. Do you push the jooked section up from underneath?
So far I have gotten by with shaping with a file but mabe my case is not so severe. I have also noticed that when they have been wet for some time, like in the beach, they strighten out by themselves,but don't last very long after they dry.

Thanks for the tip,
Albert

Jny6strng

Post by Jny6strng » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:44 pm

yes, push up from underneath. Use the thumb of your right hand to pull back the fingertip skin of i, m, or a when using the hot spoon to prevent getting a little burned. If the spoon is to hot, it could melt the nail, but that has only happened once in my life because I heated the spoon way to long. Try heating the spoon for five seconds first, if there isn't a change in nail shape, then heat for a few more seconds. It works great, and you'll see a greater consistency in tone. -Jon

Rehoboam

Post by Rehoboam » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:10 am

I have heard of people using hair straighteners and other such things to achieve the same goal, but I have never seen this fix! Maybe not everyone has a straightener, but I would find it hard to believe that someone doesn't have a spoon and a source of fire in their house! :D

MatthiasYoung

Post by MatthiasYoung » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Hmmm...might have to try this one! Always fun to play with fire!

Jny6strng

Post by Jny6strng » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:28 am

For a long time I tried to figure out why my tone was so inconsistent. Different instructors would tell me I should file my nails this way and that, but there was still inconsisteny even with the advice from multiple professors and the diagrams from "pumping nylon.". The tone consistency came with eliminating the hooked finger by the lighter/spoon technique. So, if one can control the shape of their nail, as well as the contour of their nail, then they can begin to scientifically find the best way to file their nails to best fit their personal preference. Also, everyone is physically different, so one nail length and shape may not work the same for someone else. If someone says they know the right way to file your nails, then take their advice with a grain of salt.

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:12 pm

Have a look at this old thread.

Here are some other threads that you might look at . . .

Thread on curved nails

Nail curvature improvement thread

Another thread on curved nails

Bent nails thread

Nails curved down thread

With my a fingernail being hooked, I supposed I should read these over as well; reading these posts is certain to be less painful than that candle!
"Besides, this criticism of Segovia is pointless. If you disagree with what Segovia did, take that energy and go out and do something positive. Otherwise, shut up." - Eliot Fisk

Jny6strng

Post by Jny6strng » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:56 pm

Thank you for the info. The hot spoon method does not cause pain if you're careful, takes a minute, and it works every time without spending a dime. I'm not asking people to brand themselves, but to mildly heat up the spoon, just hot enough to change the nail contour with upward pressure from the spoon. Also, this method is not for children, but for adults who have the sense to regulate temperature. Professional players carry a nail bag with files, ping pong balls, super-glue, etc. A lighter and a spoon is just a helpful option to add to the nail kit. This way works for me, and it'll work for anyone elsewho wants to control nail shape. Like an iron can take wrinkles out of clothes, a "mildly" hot spoon can take the hook out of a nail. -Jon

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:28 pm

Jon, do you do this every day - the candle/hot spoon?
"Besides, this criticism of Segovia is pointless. If you disagree with what Segovia did, take that energy and go out and do something positive. Otherwise, shut up." - Eliot Fisk

Jny6strng

Post by Jny6strng » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:37 am

Yes, but sometimes twice a day if i practice too much. Although, I use a lighter and not a candle. Lol

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:17 pm

Have you noticed any nail damage due to the heat?

Jny6strng

Post by Jny6strng » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:52 pm

No damage. I don't heat the spoon up too hot, just enough to change shape. I just wouldn't recommend heating up the spoon in front of a police officer. They might get the wrong idea. Lol

cpfan

Post by cpfan » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:39 am

Hi everyone....I'm new to this forum and just love it.....I had never heard of the spoon and lighter trick....just tried it and I can't believe how great this works! Now if only I could find a way to permanently keep them that way. I did kinda burn my finger tips under the nail a little bit but I'm sure with practice I should be able to avoid that. I'm going to be carrying a spoon and lighter in my guitar case from now on....I just hope it doesn't harm my nail in the long run. :bye:

jdart3000

Post by jdart3000 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:05 am

Hello All -

I have to second the hot spoon trick that Jonathan mentioned. My 1st teacher told me about it and it solves the poor tone problems. The strokes are smoother, too, because the nail doesn't snag. It works best after a shower or washing dishes. It will stay "unhooked" for a day or so, depending on the weather, etc.

No ill effects. Doesn't hurt the nails and I've been doing it for 7 years.

Thanks for passing it along, Jonathan. I'm sure it will help a lot of people.
John
"Art is not something which you can take or leave. It is a necessity of human life" -- Oscar Wilde

2012 German Vazquez Rubio Estudio - Spruce
1979 Sakurai Kohno No. 10 - Cedar
2006 Alhambra 4P - Spruce

jimmyz1972

Post by jimmyz1972 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:12 pm

i have same problem and have been puttign oil all over my hands and putting on latex gloves for an hour or so and they are better for a while, but iam going to try that spoon trick and see if its better. I have psoriasis and its in my nails aas well as hands so the oil helps with that as well.
Its not what, it's how, BUT..1988 Abe, Spruce/Indian-savarez corum-alliance hard tension, 1966 silvertone, cedar top, 2011 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 628mm, cedar top(thnk u Renlab)

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”