never break a nail

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Philip Altobelli

never break a nail

Post by Philip Altobelli » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:00 am

I haven't broken a nail in over 6 years. My teacher had told me to use Burts' bees banana hand creme (or almond milk, what ever scent you like better), it's all natural. I put it under and over the nail every night before bed. it helps keep them healthy and has made them strong without the use of unnecessary oils or harmful chemicals. If i go a week without using it the nail will slightly chip or peel- but not break. I suggest anyone serious about keeping their nails healthy in a natural way try this. If you don't see a significant difference in a week, please, feel free to post your results- good or bad.

Dragonbones

Re: never break a nail

Post by Dragonbones » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:07 am

:D Sounds good!

But that works fine until, like me, you slip while using a Microplane grater, and gouge a groove out of the entire length of the nail. I've been unable to play with nails for over a month, as a result, because the groove is a natural weak spot guaranteed to break, and I have to let the whole nail grow out by one length.
Pleasure is spread through the earth In stray gifts to be claimed by whoever shall find. —William Wordsworth

2008 Sergio Huerta concierto,
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

ThomasW

Post by ThomasW » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:48 am

ouch, Dragonbones - that sounds horrible! Remember that using artificial nails (or in this case just one of them) can be quite ok. I usually forget that I am using one after a little bit of playing.

And Philip: Thanks for sharing your experience with the banana creme :-)

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:42 pm

The only problem with that product is it sounds so tasty.... being a barely reformed nail-biter, I might be inclined to take a nibble! :lol: Now I only allow myself to bite the left. However, when under real stress, I have lightly nibbled on the right but will immediately pick up a nail file instead.
I found my nails improved when I supplemented with vitamin D3. I noticed that my nails were always better in the summer and it occurred to me that I spent more time outside. Since I live at 42 degrees latitude, the winter sun just isn't sufficient for good D3 production, I guess.

It is great that you found a solution that works for you. :D Sometimes nail problems are nutritional, and sometimes it is due to drying out (especially if you have your hands in water all the time).
Do you find that you have more problems with your nails in the winter when conditions are drier?
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:01 am

I use the same Burt's Bees crime and like it also!
Twice a day.
For me it works better than the 'hoof' stuff I saw on this site
Ron

Philip Altobelli

Post by Philip Altobelli » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:12 am

lagartija wrote:The only problem with that product is it sounds so tasty.... being a barely reformed nail-biter, I might be inclined to take a nibble! :lol: Now I only allow myself to bite the left. However, when under real stress, I have lightly nibbled on the right but will immediately pick up a nail file instead.
I found my nails improved when I supplemented with vitamin D3. I noticed that my nails were always better in the summer and it occurred to me that I spent more time outside. Since I live at 42 degrees latitude, the winter sun just isn't sufficient for good D3 production, I guess.

It is great that you found a solution that works for you. :D Sometimes nail problems are nutritional, and sometimes it is due to drying out (especially if you have your hands in water all the time).
Do you find that you have more problems with your nails in the winter when conditions are drier?
no I don't have any problems with weather conditions. I suggest you try the creme and see if that works for you.

jimmyz1972

Post by jimmyz1972 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:56 pm

i started taking the msm sulfur and it seems to help, but will try the burts bees and get back to you
Its not what, it's how, BUT..1988 Abe, Spruce/Indian-savarez corum-alliance hard tension, 1966 silvertone, cedar top, 2011 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 628mm, cedar top(thnk u Renlab)

AndrewPenny

Post by AndrewPenny » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Are you using the cuticle cream or the hand cream? I think there are two different ones.
Best Regards,
Andrew

DTut

Post by DTut » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:43 am

Sounds good. I've had decent results with 'Healthy Hoof' which also has some beeswax it.
1980 Ramirez 1a
2015 Robert England-Spruce; for sale.

Philip Altobelli

Post by Philip Altobelli » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:39 pm

AndrewPenny wrote:Are you using the cuticle cream or the hand cream? I think there are two different ones.
it's the hand creme. the almond milk has a cow on the top cover.

Dons

Post by Dons » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Thanks Philip. I will give it a try. I usually use one of the nail hardeners but know they have toxic chemicals in them. I am a person that does a lot of dishes and this can cause a problem with nails.
D

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:14 pm

Dons wrote:Thanks Philip. I will give it a try. I usually use one of the nail hardeners but know they have toxic chemicals in them. I am a person that does a lot of dishes and this can cause a problem with nails.
D
Try using dish gloves. I do that now and it has helped a lot.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

jimmyz1972

Post by jimmyz1972 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:12 pm

UNBELIEVABLE!! I broke my first fingernail picking up popcorn in the couch that my little boy spilled. I was supposed to play at a wedding on saturday the 12th but thankfully was cancelled. how would one go about getting your nails to grow quickly, i really am not interested in fake nails or things glued to them, just want my nails, any advice?
Its not what, it's how, BUT..1988 Abe, Spruce/Indian-savarez corum-alliance hard tension, 1966 silvertone, cedar top, 2011 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 628mm, cedar top(thnk u Renlab)

junbo

Post by junbo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:21 am

Philip Altobelli wrote:I haven't broken a nail in over 6 years. My teacher had told me to use Burts' bees banana hand creme (or almond milk, what ever scent you like better), it's all natural. I put it under and over the nail every night before bed. it helps keep them healthy and has made them strong without the use of unnecessary oils or harmful chemicals. If i go a week without using it the nail will slightly chip or peel- but not break. I suggest anyone serious about keeping their nails healthy in a natural way try this. If you don't see a significant difference in a week, please, feel free to post your results- good or bad.
Thanks to this post, I have got hold of, and been using, Burt's Bees for a week now and my nails are looking healthier. They don't seem to be so brittle, for one. I'm keeping my fingers crossed (no puns intended here, hehe) that the nails stay healthy and don't chip or peel like they used to.

Cheers,
Junbo

mshell8

Post by mshell8 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:37 pm

I too like the Burt's bees products. "tore" a nail while traveling recently handling baggage ,carry-ons and the like. I tried one of the nail "hardener" products, but ended up being shiney. Not good when you're in the Medical field !

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”