never break a nail

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
dogonjon

Re: never break a nail

Post by dogonjon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:08 pm

jimmyz1972 wrote:UNBELIEVABLE!! I broke my first fingernail picking up popcorn in the couch that my little boy spilled. I was supposed to play at a wedding on saturday the 12th but thankfully was cancelled. how would one go about getting your nails to grow quickly, i really am not interested in fake nails or things glued to them, just want my nails, any advice?
MSM

dory

Post by dory » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:18 pm

I have terrible nails that start ripping when they get just sbout to te point where they are right for playing. My nails are all lopsided from filing off tiny rips. I have tried nail hardeners but I hate how shiny they are, and I hate putting harsh chemicals on my nails. I am going to Whole Foods today to get Burt's Bees. My only problem is I don't always like the scents of Burt's Bees hand creams but that is a small enough problem if they truly fix my problem nails.
Dory

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:51 pm

dory wrote:I have terrible nails that start ripping when they get just sbout to te point where they are right for playing. My nails are all lopsided from filing off tiny rips. I have tried nail hardeners but I hate how shiny they are, and I hate putting harsh chemicals on my nails. I am going to Whole Foods today to get Burt's Bees. My only problem is I don't always like the scents of Burt's Bees hand creams but that is a small enough problem if they truly fix my problem nails.
You should try Guitar Players Nails. Yes, they are glued with cyanoacrylate, but the properties of that kind of chemical make it interesting for somebody not too fond of chemical stuff. Cyanoacrylate cures instantly in contact with water and/or proteins, and that's the reason why allergies or other reactions are so rare, the cyanoacrylate is "neutralized" well before being able to penetrate the tissues. And the glue of the Guitar Players Nail Kit is top quality. Of course the process damage the natural nail, it is good to "scratch" the nail in order to improve the gluing process, etc., but you need to glue only the distal half part of the nail.

Personnally I never had any trace of reaction to cyanoacrylate, though I am atopic. I developped an extremely severe allergie to acrylic nails, and react to nail lackers (just exema though). BTW stay away acrylic nails!!! you could be OK, but allergies are frequent, and can be awful!!!
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

dory

Post by dory » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:46 am

Thanks Tomzooki. I think I will order some tonight for nail repair as one ripped again(!) today, and put bansna cream on theb rest.
Dory

wianno

Post by wianno » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:49 am

Before purchasing any product to put on your skin it's worth the time it takes to check in at the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep web site to see how safe its ingredients are. The word "natural" has become a marketing buzz word and because of that has become meaningless (except as a warning.)

Go here http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/319 ... and_Creme/

Jack

dory

Post by dory » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:30 am

I ordered guitar player nais. My natural nails are just shredding. They don't like being long, and are not strong enough to handle the stress of guitar practice. I will let people know how i like them. I trust Tomzooki on isdues of potential toxicity.
Dory

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:52 am

dory wrote: I trust Tomzooki on isdues of potential toxicity.
Cyanoacrylate is used also to close woulds in surgery; direct contact with body fluids :wink:

If ever you like the product you may want the rotary file and the bit they suggest to use. For occasional repairs you can manage with standard files, but a rotary file with a good bit works much better and faster. I already owned a rotary file because of my use of acrylic nails, but I ordered from them the carbide bit. It is fantastic, but if ever you get a carbide bit be careful to get used to work with it, work slowly at low speed at the beginning.

You may need some time to adjust to it in order to get a tone you like, but I think you will be very pleased by the big sound, and the dynamic possibilities that come with it :wink:
Yamaha GC-3A

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:05 am

wianno wrote:Before purchasing any product to put on your skin it's worth the time it takes to check in at the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep web site to see how safe its ingredients are. The word "natural" has become a marketing buzz word and because of that has become meaningless (except as a warning.)

Go here http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/319 ... and_Creme/

Jack
People tend to forget that a lot of poisons are from natural source, that some very potent and highly toxic medical drugs are from natural source too (botox, digitoxin, taxol), and that some natural medicines can have serious interactions with other drugs (St-John's worth, activated charcoal). And I don't talk about all the extraction and preparation issues that are far less controlled than for prescription drugs (though it is much less true nowadays in Quebec, a vrey good thing, but I don't know for other countries)

I may seem to be against natural products, but that is not the case at all. In fact at my pharmacy I am considered as the most "natural stuff freak" of us. I am highly interested in them, they can be very useful, but unfortunately they are too often wrongly used and people is ill informed about them.
Yamaha GC-3A

tocar

Post by tocar » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:57 am

I have heard a great problem with nails is low moisture, which is why in the winter nails can break more easily. So hand cream and moisturizers can be helpful; especially right after doing dishes and drying the hands. My nails are fragile and often break. If there is enough nail left I use cyanoacrylate to glue a custom-shaped piece of ping pong ball under the remaining piece of nail and then shape it further with a file. If not enough nail is left I use a drugstore nail of the proper size and glue it with cyanoacrylate to the top of the remaining nail, replacing it with the ping pong material when enough nail has come back. Cyanoacrylate likes moisture, which is part of why the tubes come with long pointed snouts, and can gradually weaken in effectiveness after opening. Reseal the container quickly and replace it when needed. At least one supplier of guitar building materials offers cyanoacrylate in degrees of viscosity. Some cyanoacrylate glue formulas include rubberizing ingredients for greater shock resistance.

dory

Post by dory » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:50 am

I find it an ironic coincidence that the week of beginning with Burt's Bees my nails are the worst they have been-- m fingernail torn back to the flesh,i fingernail only a tiny stub and a fingernail ripped unevenly and very short but not completely gone. My one worry with going to cyanoacrylate is that the use of adhesive will destroy what little integrity my natural nails have. However, my real nails are so terrible that I am ready to throw in the towel. Now i am just waiting with excitement for my new nails to arrive in the mail.
Dory

dory

Post by dory » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:16 pm

I am now beginning to wonder if too much lubrication too quickly is stressful for very weak nails. My nails are very borderlinenfor being able to maintain any length at all, and since I started the Burt's Bees I have lost 4 of the 5 nails on my right hand. Only the thumbbnail which is stronger, is left. Even the pinky nail which I don't use to play but keep a bit longer to be symmetrical, ripped.

I got my guitar player nails in the mail today and am going to figure out how to apply them tomorrow. I didn't think to order the glue, but my husband who is a sculptor and luthier has many weights of super glue, so I am going to try thr thinnest. I will report back on how they work.
Dory

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:32 pm

dory wrote:My one worry with going to cyanoacrylate is that the use of adhesive will destroy what little integrity my natural nails have. However, my real nails are so terrible that I am ready to throw in the towel.
Yes, of course it will damage further your nails. And you should scratch the surface of your nail with a coarse file in order to get a strong bind = another damage. But from what I read in your posts, you have little choice of solution. But remember, it damages only where you glue, and with guitar players nails you glue only the distal half of the nail. And cyanoacrylate cures instantly, so it damages only the surface of the nail, which is not the case with acrylic nails which cures in 24 hours...
dory wrote:I find it an ironic coincidence that the week of beginning with Burt's Bees my nails are the worst they have been-- m fingernail torn back to the flesh,i fingernail only a tiny stub and a fingernail ripped unevenly and very short but not completely gone.
It is true that loss of natural fat is part of the problem, but you can't replace it that easily. A damaged nail remains a damaged nail, it simply has to regrow. It is already hard to restore the lipidic barrier of dry skin, and the structure of the skin allows much easily foreign lipids to penetrate. And epiderma takes a mere 28 days to completely renew, beneath the surface you have new living cells, while the tip of your nail is a completely dead structure, with the new stuff being several millimeters and 6 months away.... Even if you indeed damage your nail, it is dead anyway, that part has nothing to do with the regrowth process and the actual health of the ungal structure, the cyanoacrylate will not damage the surrounding structures, and your existant nails are useless.... :wink:
dory wrote:I got my guitar player nails in the mail today and am going to figure out how to apply them tomorrow. I didn't think to order the glue, but my husband who is a sculptor and luthier has many weights of super glue, so I am going to try thr thinnest. I will report back on how they work.
Next time order their glue; it is really an amazing one. But if you have good quality super-thin glue it should be OK. Follow their instructions, they are very clear and detailed, and take your time. :wink: I guess you did not buy their pipettes neither? You will need something soing the same job. Don't ever apply the glue directly with the bottle!!!! It is particularily true with superthin glue!!! At least go to the drugstore to buy some drop-counters, though the pipettes would have been far better. I think a 0.5 cc syringe with a needle could do a good job, but it is much more expensive than the pipettes.
Yamaha GC-3A

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:24 am

Hello Dory!! Have you tried the Guitar Players nails so far?
Yamaha GC-3A

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:47 am

I'm on the fence. Is Burt's Bees a good alternative to healthy hoof?

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”