Guitar Player Nails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Tomzooki

Re: Guitar Player Nails Beware

Post by Tomzooki » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:17 pm

guit-box wrote:Everyone is different and so obviously if you've had an allergic reaction to something in the acrylic nails, then you shouldn't use it. I've used acrylic nails off and on for 25 years and the only problems I've had is when I try to take them off with chemicals or force. Tens of Thousands of people all over the world are using this stuff for cosmetic reasons safely, so one single negative review is irrelevant as a general recommendation, it's been proven safe for most people. Of course I'd prefer to use natural nails but as I age, my nails have become more ridged so if I wanted to use a glue dot or other temp nail, I'd still need to build the nail up so it's flat. Everyone has their nail issues, but I can safely say this stuff works perfectly well for me, but only if I insist the salon pro not use a nail tip, the tips are brittle and when it grows out the nail tip makes for an undesirable tone. I like the nail form method so it's only my natural nail + acrylic. NOT an acrylic + nail tip + natural nail. I don't like temporary glue dots and fake nails because there's always a slight give at the glue joint. I play with too much force for this to work for me. I can see it working better for persons with a light touch. I like the natural nail to be bonded well to the top nail so they can be filed together and the ramp makes a smooth transition at the joint between nail/acrylic.
Those allergies are more frequent that you think. But the most frightening thing is the accidents I talked about. As I told you, just this year, I saw it twice. As often as kitchen mandolins accidents. By the way NEVER USE A KITCHEN MANDOLINE! Professional cooks wear a mail glove while using it....
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

Perseus

Post by Perseus » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:27 pm

Tomzooki wrote:
Perseus wrote:Thank you very much for the clarification! Do you mean Instant Crazy Glue Advanced Formula Gel? I can find in Europe this one.
Do you know any other brand of adhesive for nails which is methacrylate-free?
No, not the formula gel, the non-gel one. The glue must be fluid to do a good job. There must be other brands methacrylate-free, but I don't know which one. Once I found a glue I did not react to I did not take the chance to try another one :wink:
Thanks! Could you please give me a link or the exact name of the product? There are more than a dozen types of Krazy® Glue in the market, plus the 5 types of gel, which one specifically is without methacrylate?

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:26 pm

Tomzooki wrote:If you are talking about the UV-cured gel, I can assure you there is lot of methacrylate in it. My fingers told me so....

Both hard gel and soft gel are UV cured. I'm talking about soft gel.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:22 pm

Perseus wrote:Thanks! Could you please give me a link or the exact name of the product? There are more than a dozen types of Krazy® Glue in the market, plus the 5 types of gel, which one specifically is without methacrylate?
Yes, I am puzzled by this; Krazy Glue is, of course, a trade name and the Krazy Glue website states:
The chemical name for Krazy Glue is ethyl cyanoacrylate...
The Krazy Glue brand is not marketed in the UK, but there are several brands of superglue which, as far as I know, are all cyanoacrylate formulations. One UK brand has a formulation called 'Powerflex' which provides a bond that is more flexible than most superglues. I've used this once on a nail repair and found it works ok.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:29 am

Perseus wrote:Thanks! Could you please give me a link or the exact name of the product? There are more than a dozen types of Krazy® Glue in the market, plus the 5 types of gel, which one specifically is without methacrylate?
The Krazy Glue Advanced and the Maximum Bond Krazy Glue - not the gel formulas, the fluid ones - do not contain methacrylate (I checked the MSDS sheets). The All Purpose Krazy Glue Gel contains methacrylate and a couple of other compounds.
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

Perseus

Post by Perseus » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:00 pm

Tomzooki wrote:
The Krazy Glue Advanced and the Maximum Bond Krazy Glue - not the gel formulas, the fluid ones - do not contain methacrylate (I checked the MSDS sheets). The All Purpose Krazy Glue Gel contains methacrylate and a couple of other compounds.
Thank you very much!

davekear

Post by davekear » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:30 am

Perseus wrote:Dave, I greatly appreciate your post and I just purchased 2 sets of guitar player nails for myself and my teacher (Christmas gift). They seem to be the best solution in my opinion, I have broken 4 nails the last 3 weeks and I was confused from the sound I was producing. What impressed me more is how elaborate instructions you provide and the different tones one can produce with the various materials you offer, I can't wait to use them :)
Thanks. We're always here if you need us. There is a learning curve, but not rocket science either. Lots of benefits if you get it down.

davekear

Post by davekear » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:35 am

celestemcc wrote:Thanks for the tips, Dave! I actually like GPNs, but find them too large for my hands. My nails are not tiny, but the smallest preformed size available fits only my thumb, and I find them difficult to cut to fit, width- and length-wise. If you have any suggestions, that'd be great!
You can always cut any pre formed nails if they're too wide. But we also have some that are really small. Either way it's pretty easy to do. Give us a call any time. We'd be glad to go over any specific issues you're having.
Thanks,
Dave

davekear

Post by davekear » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:51 am

Perseus wrote:I didn't express myself well, by saying adhesive I meant monomer adhesive - technically speaking, glues are adhesives made from animal protein, hide, bones and hooves, but nail adhesives cannot be made from such materials. If anyone knows of other less toxic monomer adhesives, I would be eager to try them.
One important thing to remember is that no matter what type of nail you're using, don't cover more than 3/4 of your natural nail plate. That way you always have some "free nail", and you also allow yourself access to back fill the nail with thin nail glue in order to seal the nail completely. Of course you'll need to taper the back border there, but that's easy to do, especially if you have a rotary nail file or Dremel tool. (Use a medium carbide flat barrel nail bit). Emery board files also will work well for this, although not as quick or precise. It's also very important to seal the nail if it starts to come off. Always seal the nail well, and when it's time to remove it, then do so. Never let an artificial nail come part way off and fall off on its own. Either on or off. You don't want water to get in between your natural nail and an artificial nail. Just remember the nail is always growing, and there will always be new nail.

Perseus

Post by Perseus » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:54 pm

davekear wrote:
Perseus wrote:I didn't express myself well, by saying adhesive I meant monomer adhesive - technically speaking, glues are adhesives made from animal protein, hide, bones and hooves, but nail adhesives cannot be made from such materials. If anyone knows of other less toxic monomer adhesives, I would be eager to try them.
One important thing to remember is that no matter what type of nail you're using, don't cover more than 3/4 of your natural nail plate. That way you always have some "free nail", and you also allow yourself access to back fill the nail with thin nail glue in order to seal the nail completely. Of course you'll need to taper the back border there, but that's easy to do, especially if you have a rotary nail file or Dremel tool. (Use a medium carbide flat barrel nail bit). Emery board files also will work well for this, although not as quick or precise. It's also very important to seal the nail if it starts to come off. Always seal the nail well, and when it's time to remove it, then do so. Never let an artificial nail come part way off and fall off on its own. Either on or off. You don't want water to get in between your natural nail and an artificial nail. Just remember the nail is always growing, and there will always be new nail.
Thank you very much, these are significant points to keep in mind!

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:40 pm

I read with great interest this topic and would like to share my experience with you, because my nails are not without problems and I also have to deal with them :) Hope, my clip will be useful for somebody

Youtube

Perseus

Post by Perseus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:40 pm

Thank you very much! Very elegant and thorough tutorial! Bravo!

davekear

Post by davekear » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:24 am

bgreene531 wrote:I just started using preformed GPN as I am having so much trouble maintaining my natural nails. They actually worked well and I was starting to get a decent tone. Today one of them came off and the damage from the glue to the natural nail is concerning as it is now thin and flaky. I plan to try to grow my own nails.

Ben
This is very important. From our instructions page:
If you remove any natural nail while filing, you should build up the nail before applying a new Nail. This procedure only takes a few seconds. If there is any sensitivity in the nail, build it up a bit. Best way to build up a nail is to apply some brush on nail glue (or any viscous nail glue) and then spray with some nail glue dryer. If you use a thinner nail glue, apply thin layers at a time, as it will build up more heat when using nail glue dryer than more viscous nail glues. Please buff the nail lightly before applying a new nail so that the nail glue dryer won't continue to work. If you don't, the glue will dry too fast when you go to apply the new nail.
If you keep the nail sealed, and follow the advice above, you will have no problems with artificial nails. Always apply artificial nails to no more than 3/4 of the natural nail plate, then taper the back. And remember, the nail is always growing and will always grow out.

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:31 am

Every time I read these new nail posts, I feel sorry for the poor ignorant souls who still follow these crude medieval cures for nail problems. Do you also treat medical problems with blood letting.

Seriously go to a manicurist and get a soft gel treatment. You won't believe how foolish you feel for not having done it sooner.

davekear

Post by davekear » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:08 am

dtoh wrote:Every time I read these new nail posts, I feel sorry for the poor ignorant souls who still follow these crude medieval cures for nail problems. Do you also treat medical problems with blood letting.

Seriously go to a manicurist and get a soft gel treatment. You won't believe how foolish you feel for not having done it sooner.
No, we don't do blood letting, but we have thousands of guitarists who use our nails, and have been for many years; including Eliot Fisk, Grisha Goryachev, and many other professional guitarists who use our nails and methods of application on a daily basis as a permanent fingernail solution. If you let manicurists apply gel to your nails, most likely you will never realize your playing potential. If you strum folk music and sing along, then that's fine; get some gel nails. If however you want the dexterity, diversity and quality of tone, and feel of great natural nails, then maybe not. There is a science and an art to artificial nails for guitarists. There is a learning curve, but it's not rocket science either. But you do need to know what you're doing. You can have artificial nails that sound and feel like the best natural nails you've ever had, that are 100% safe to use on a daily basis every day for the rest of your life. But you have to know what you're doing.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”