Fingerstyle Jazz & - Nails?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
robin loops

Re: Fingerstyle Jazz & - Nails?

Post by robin loops » Tue May 06, 2014 3:09 pm

I play steel string guitars with my nails but make sure to be very careful. Also a polished edge (glass smooth) is extremely important when playing on steel strings as any roughness in will cause the strings to tear up the nail.

Also as mentioned amplification can help a lot (because you don't have to play as hard).

Flat wound strings can help but aren't necessary if you use extra care not to slide/move the nails along the string windings. Use more of a parallel attack (to the string).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Tue May 20, 2014 11:43 pm

Regarding my nails that used to haunt me, I have been back at the guitar now for 2 months, but have not practiced as much as I wanted to.

One thing funny is that I have not needed to use artificial nails. I guess it has just been a lucky streak and been careful with my right hand. The nails I bought were the Alaskan and Fred Kelly's. I see both will need some shaping if I need any, but I am unsure of my preference until I try them. I just thought, I have been keeping my nails on the short side as I have more control after not playing the guitar for years. I will give my humble opinion on the nails once I need them.

At this point I feel like a beginner reading music, but a few hard pieces are starting to come back to me. One I loved as a teenager was Classical Gas by Mason Williams and I have his exact rendition minus the orchestra. I have the original arrangement, notes with tabs, from the center page of the magazine the Guitar Player, April 1972, wherein Mason Williams adds a comment to the two pages that include the music. At one time I had this piece down pretty good, but now I am struggling with it. Parts keep popping from memory, but it is not all there yet. I do need a lot of simple sight reading practice.
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:10 pm

Is using flatwound strings on a steel string acoustic out of the question?

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”