nails and the tremolo

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
BAlain

nails and the tremolo

Post by BAlain » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:09 am

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and just recently returning to the classical/flamenco(ish) guitar and techniques. I've been working on my nails for a few months now and reasonably satisfied with the tone. The problem I am encountering is during the tremolo, almost as if my nails are too long and wondering, before trimming away something that works for the most part, is it possible that a steeper angle on the left side (the point of first contact) would compensate a noisy tremolo or just result in loss of tone and projection. Would appreciate any inputs or ideas, it's been a while...
Thnx

Arthur Becker

Re: nails and the tremolo

Post by Arthur Becker » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:09 pm

I keep my nails pretty short, and ramp up from nothing on the thumb side of my nails. The good thing about nails is they grow back pretty quick, so you can feel free to experiment a lot. I prefer a lenght that doesn't extend past the tip of my fingers without depressing the strings (I have a bit of a hook so I really have to keep them short). A lot of people want them just a little over. If you search "tremelo nails", there are a few threads already that discuss this some. Best of luck, and welcom to the forum!

BAlain

Post by BAlain » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:18 pm

Thanks Arthur, I always dread changing the shape of my nail, but gave it a try, ends up after speeding up the tremolo I able to catch the right side of my nail on the anular hooking the string, trimmed it back and everything was ok. I normally attack the string on a slight angle on the left of the finger tip, the right side of the nail was a bit too long, Again thanks, hope I'll eventually have something to contribute to the forum.

Giomhurtbees

Post by Giomhurtbees » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:52 pm

Sorry I know that's an old thread, but Arthur, doesn't your nail catch the string too much with this shape of nail? I can't imagine how it works.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”