Shorter Nails = Better Tone?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Daires Roberto

Re: Shorter Nails = Better Tone?

Postby Daires Roberto » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:00 pm

sorry!

errado = wrong
certo = right
corda = string

Lawler

Postby Lawler » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:49 pm

Nail, fingertip and hand characteristics vary a lot from person to person and optimum nail length is affected by those things. Find what works for you.

In the end your tone is determined mostly by your sensitivity and the level of your determination to get a beautiful sound.

Mihailo

Postby Mihailo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:22 pm

Exactly. Think of your fingers, your nails, your fingertips as a tool for expressing your inner beauty, sensitivity, passion. Your tone comes from your inner being, and a lot of hard work and CAREFUL LISTENING is required to evoke the sound you want. Of course, your nails need to be well filed and polished, but don't let yourself get too obsessed with nails and forget about your mind and soul. Very slow tempos and listening to every tone you produce will lead to building up a better tone and also a better technique. Experiment with nails, find out what's best for you and, most importantly, listen to yourself. :)
2012 Zoran Kuvac

Doug Crosswell

Postby Doug Crosswell » Sun May 15, 2016 1:17 pm

I am actually considering recording my practice sessions just to hear what my tone is like in general then see what improvements I can make .

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Mon May 16, 2016 12:46 am

I also keep try to keep my nails a bit shorter. Exactly like it was mentioned a little bit longer then the flesh. I find when the nails are too long they catch on the strings. Also, keeping the nails too long, makes them look terrible. People start looking at your right hand nails and start wondering why someone would want to keep long nails. Therefore, you would have to start explaining to everyone that you play classical guitar.

Zapwai

Postby Zapwai » Tue May 24, 2016 2:51 am

I am still fiddling with the length and shape. For now I have settled on short nails in a ramp shape.

My thumb I like a bit longer but I need to keep the nails on i m and a fairly short or I can't play very fast without hooking or producing nail-scrape sound on the strings. Just long enough to be able to rest the fingertip in preparation seems good to me.

I like to pluck with the nail when possible... But somehow be able to play with flesh if necessary. I suppose it's nice to have the variation in tone.
2015 Cordoba C10
2000 Martin 000-15s

troubadournate

Postby troubadournate » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:30 pm

I find I get less clacking from my nails when they're shorter. I definitely prefer the tone, too--it seems warmer and fuller, and I can plant my fingers more accurately. At least that's how it feels.

robin loops

Postby robin loops » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:49 pm

I don't think shorter nails directly result in better tone but instead require more precision which in turn leads to better tone. I feel that with the proper technique and precision,equally good tone can be achieved with both longer or shorter nails. Just depends on which works best for the player.

That said, I prefer mine a little on the short side (partially due to nails being soft). Either way, short nails are a good way to develop precision even if you prefer them longer) A method I used to use was tobcut them short. Then work with them as they grew out. This helpd me learn to adapt to any nail length, develop precision required for shorter nails (transferable when using longer nails), and most importantly to find the perfect nail length for me (actually the range of lengths that work perfect for me).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

AndreiKrylov

Postby AndreiKrylov » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:08 pm

I use very short nails. Almost no nails. Tone is softer... I like that :)
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

Montgomery

Postby Montgomery » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:57 am

WOW!!!! That's amazing.
John Stone wrote:
robinfw wrote:I'm sure Kaori Muraji would be interested.

Have you ever seen her nails up close?

Ha ha - well, this is sort of the textbook picture of how NOT to file your nails -- (1) very long and (2) pointy. I won't argue with her results, though.

Zach S

Postby Zach S » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:31 am

Honestly? I think her i and a nails are more or less all right, they make sense with her angled attack.

Her m nail though? It boggles my mind. Magic!
If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them. -- Henry David Thoreau

philip caldwell

Postby philip caldwell » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:06 pm

John Stone wrote:
robinfw wrote:I'm sure Kaori Muraji would be interested.

Have you ever seen her nails up close?

Ha ha - well, this is sort of the textbook picture of how NOT to file your nails -- (1) very long and (2) pointy. I won't argue with her results, though.

Looks like she is going for 3 plectrums :) I wonder if her technique is related to how the koto and other stringed instruments are played?

dory

Postby dory » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:03 pm

I have decided to go permanently with nails that just barely peek over the fingertip. Not only are they easier to grow with my very fragile nails, but I haven't noticed my sound is any worse with short nails. In fact, since on top of all other problems, my nails hook slightly they work better very short. The only problem is you don't get that look saying "I play classical guitar" to which I would answer "who cares?"
Dory

Neuromance27

Postby Neuromance27 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:45 am

Strange enough, the shorter my nails are, the less full and much thinner the tone sounds. A ramp to the outer right edges extended beyond the finger tip gives a beautifully rounded tone, to me.

markodarko

Postby markodarko » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:00 am

Neuromance27 wrote:Strange enough, the shorter my nails are, the less full and much thinner the tone sounds.

I would suggest that it's because you haven't compensated your hand angle to accommodate the shorter nail length. It's not just a matter of playing in the same position with shorter nails, the angle has to change accordingly.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”