glass nail file

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
aokoye

Re: glass nail file

Post by aokoye » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:19 pm

I really like the glass file I got from Strings by Mail. It was $7.99 not including shipping (which i think was an addition $4 but it got here two days later) and they also sell micro-mesh buffing/filing paper.

Florentin Tise
Teacher

Post by Florentin Tise » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:27 pm

got one for $8
you can see a picture in this post
"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."
Confucius

riemsesy

Post by riemsesy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:09 pm

they sell those for 3 euro in almost every pharmacy/beautystore here in NL I bought 5 of them for my daughters and wife (yes.. 4 daughters :) then you have to keep it cheap :D )

i don't like how thick those glassy files are so, i use a standard metal file with diamond dust on it.. one side is fine and the other more rough.. then I scratch my trousers with my nails after filing, and that makes them smooth enough (in my opinion)
Best regards,
Richard Frank

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:47 pm

I bought an inexpensive glass nail file and I'm happy with it. As somebody already told here, it just removes quite a lot with just one stroke so I have to use it carefully. Rubbing the nails to jeans or other trousers after using the file will make them good for playing.

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:30 pm

The Wolfram is by far the best I have ever used; way smoother finish. Not all glass nail files are the same - visit the Wolfram site for more info.
No, I don't have shares in the company - it's just a great product for peanuts. I hated filing my nails before I got a Wolfram - now I positively enjoy it.

Honestly, when many of us here spend thousands on a guitar, it makes no sense whatsoever to then skimp on strings, files etc.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:32 pm

How does Wolfram compare to the SBM file? I have the latter and find it very fine, far superior to the drugstore kind, but still curious about Wolfram.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:08 pm

celestemcc wrote:How does Wolfram compare to the SBM file? I have the latter and find it very fine, far superior to the drugstore kind, but still curious about Wolfram.
I think it is better, though not dramatically so in practice.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:13 pm

Luuttuaja wrote:I bought an inexpensive glass nail file and I'm happy with it. As somebody already told here, it just removes quite a lot with just one stroke so I have to use it carefully. Rubbing the nails to jeans or other trousers after using the file will make them good for playing.
Rubbing nails on jeans after using a glass nail file is not, in my opinion, enough to make them good to go. Try polishing with a few grades of micromesh sheet and feel and hear the difference (say 3200, 4000, 8000). Even better, buy the 2500 - 12000 set sold by SBM.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:10 pm

Peter, thanks, re the Wolfram file. And agree, a glass file is wonderful, but not enough. Micromesh sheet or some other kind of nail finisher (eg, the Oasis one) gives a gorgeous finish. Years ago I was taught to reverse the fine grade paper (this was before micromesh) and rub the edges of my nails on the paper side: makes them perfectly smooth. Today the 12000 mesh will do that.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:23 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Luuttuaja wrote:I bought an inexpensive glass nail file and I'm happy with it. As somebody already told here, it just removes quite a lot with just one stroke so I have to use it carefully. Rubbing the nails to jeans or other trousers after using the file will make them good for playing.
Rubbing nails on jeans after using a glass nail file is not, in my opinion, enough to make them good to go. Try polishing with a few grades of micromesh sheet and feel and hear the difference (say 3200, 4000, 8000). Even better, buy the 2500 - 12000 set sold by SBM.
I completely agree. Not possible to get smooth nails that way, unless you taped some micro mesh or 2000 grit used sandpaper to those jeans.

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:15 pm

Ok, thanks for commenting. Then I think have to check out that Micromesh thing. I haven't heard of that before.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”