Anything to straighten nails with?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
6strings

Anything to straighten nails with?

Post by 6strings » Sun May 31, 2015 2:52 pm

My nails are really crooky. They start to crook pretty much as they leave the fingertop, and all 3 (i, m, a) crook in different ways. So my solution is to keep them as short as possible. However, as I get older they seem to crook more and more :(. I wonder if science has got so far to offer anything that REALLY works? Like some unhealthy chemical one can put on top of nails to straighten them up? It is not requirement to be unhealthy, but I am willing to try anything to get them straighten up. Soon I am at the point where I file my nails almost at fingertop. Currently I have at most 1mm length on my, if even that much, and they are still tiny bit crooky.

montana

Re: Anything to straighten nails with?

Post by montana » Sun May 31, 2015 4:08 pm

Same problem! Keep a combination of short and correct angle where the string leaves the nail. If its any consolation, I've seen one famous guitar player with very short nails and incredible tone.

dandan

Post by dandan » Sun May 31, 2015 4:18 pm

A lot of guitarists play with stick on nails.
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1966 Sakazo Nakade model D
1977 Aria AG80

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Sun May 31, 2015 4:54 pm

I remember David Russell told us, at a masterclass, that you can heat a spoon and form your nail :-) I never tried it though...
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

tom2977

Post by tom2977 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:34 pm

I have tried the heated spoon trick and it does work. I used to put my nail of the flat edge of heated hair straighteners (careful!). There is a video of someone using a soldering iron....that works well too. Obviously be careful.

viewtopic.php?t=35155&start=15

6strings

Post by 6strings » Sun May 31, 2015 6:08 pm

Haha, never heard of heated spoon thing :). I am keeping short nails as much as I can and trying to file my fishing krooks away. As a guide I use Scott Tennants advice from pumping nylon. I just thought trere might be some kind of lack or some other thing to straghten them up a bit.

danno

Post by danno » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:01 am

It doesn't matter how crooked your nails are. What is important is that your nails sit on the same plane.
2012 Toby Rzepka

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:29 am

danno wrote:It doesn't matter how crooked your nails are. What is important is that your nails sit on the same plane.
Well yes, it'd be an expensive flight otherwise.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

GEO

Post by GEO » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:59 pm

I've used OPI Nail Envy with some success. They have a matte finish that looks rather natural.

Besides keeping your nails short, the shape or shapes you use in filing them has an impact on whether or how much they hook. Scott Tennant's book "Pumping Nylon" has a great discussion of filing shapes to counter hooking.
(US) (GER) The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own - Disraeli

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:56 pm

markodarko wrote:
danno wrote:It doesn't matter how crooked your nails are. What is important is that your nails sit on the same plane.
Well yes, it'd be an expensive flight otherwise.
Not necessarily as in that specific instance you could go in the cargo holds … :lol: :lol: :lol:

lizhogg

Post by lizhogg » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:10 pm

I use mane n tail hand lotion every night before going to bed as well as Gena Healthy Hoof Intensive Protein Treatment afterwards a few nights a week.

I've found it really helps. My nails are naturally very weak and brittle and the creams have really made them stronger and I suffer far fewer broken nails.

Andrew Barrett

Post by Andrew Barrett » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:33 pm

I put olive oil on my nails almost daily. To be honest, this might be the placebo effect but they seem to be at least a little bit less crooked, and certainly stronger and healthier. I keep olive oil in a nail polish bottle and apply generously to the nail. I usually rub in, especially into the cuticle and the source of growth for the nail. It seems to have helped over time, as it took quite a while for the base of the nail to grow out.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:09 pm

dandan wrote:A lot of guitarists play with stick on nails.
I'm one of them. For me, an added benefit of using stick on nails is that I can take them off and play without nails, which I like to do with some pieces.

twang

Post by twang » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:36 pm

Soak the nail in hot water then wear an Alaska pick to shape the nail as it dries. For me, slipping the Alaska pick on my finger as I get out of the shower is enough.
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:07 pm

The heated spoon trick works very well. My right hand nails grow out and curve downward. My left hand nail are as straight as an arrow. Go figure. So every other day I use the hot spoon trick to 'iron' my nails. The end result is quite good.
Hauser III 2014!

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”