Bach, J. S. - BWV 1007 Prelude

Audio and video recordings of the works of Johann Sebastian Bach.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Bach, J. S. - BWV xxxx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Bach, J. S. - BWV 0997 Prélude - D09 Video (BWV number padded out with zeroes to 4 digits.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Bach, J. S. - BWV 1007 Prelude

Post by James Lister » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:22 pm

As promised, my rendition of BWV1007 - Prelude from the 1st Cello suite. After half a dozen or so more attempts I finally got a take that I was reasonably happy with this evening. I've been playing this for many years, but left it for quite a while after deciding that the guitar version could never really compete with the cello, but I like it so much - and I can't play the cello!

Same recording set-up as before - Behringer mics into a Soundcraft mixer onto Audacity on my laptop. Some reverb added courtesy of Gverb on Audacity.

Hope you enjoy it - all comments welcome.

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

ashworth

Re: Bach, J. S. - BWV 1007 Prelude

Post by ashworth » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:28 am

Very nice! Most enjoyable to hear. This is one of my favorite pieces as well. I don't think I've heard this particular version before; some of the bass notes are different from the versions I have.
- Donnie

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:47 am

Lovely, James, but I find the bass tones too dominant. :merci: :bravo: :bye:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:00 am

Wow James, you're going through a bit of a Bach phase at the moment!! First the Prelude to BWV998 and now BWV 1007. Both are great pieces and amongst my favourites. I feel that BWV 1007 works really well on guitar.

If I may be so bold, to me this felt a little rushed. It may be because when I play it I have to play it slower to get some of the changes clean, but I wonder if you would consider slowing it down a tad and letting some of the phrases breath a little (I'm not suggesting taking breaks, just giving them some room to move if that makes sense?).

Otherwise, a very enjoyable performance.

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:37 am

Thanks all for the comments so far...

:merci:
ashworth wrote: I don't think I've heard this particular version before; some of the bass notes are different from the versions I have.
I started out with the Duarte version many years ago - but I've changed a few things as well based on other versions I've seen and/or heard. Not sure where the various bits come from now!
Erik Zurcher wrote:Lovely, James, but I find the bass tones too dominant.
Thanks, Erik. I think it's a combination of the guitar (I love big basses), but also the mic position is not ideal. In order to get the ambient noise levels down I have the mics quite close to the guitar, which tends to emphasise the basses.
Paul Janssen wrote:If I may be so bold, to me this felt a little rushed. It may be because when I play it I have to play it slower to get some of the changes clean, but I wonder if you would consider slowing it down a tad and letting some of the phrases breath a little (I'm not suggesting taking breaks, just giving them some room to move if that makes sense?).
Possibly - I've heard versions both significantly faster and slower tempos than mine - but I do agree that a few more "breaths" would help.

James

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:04 pm

Very enjoyable James. :casque: I learned this in C but have always preferred the sonority of it in D. l have been frit to learn it in D though in case both versions end up in a dreadful tangle. :? I so enjoyed your playing though that I think I might risk it. On my phone the basses sound well balanced with the mids and trebles and the overall sound is splendid. :bravo:

TsarL

Post by TsarL » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:25 pm

Lovely playing! It's one of my favorites.

UnstoppableGuitar

Post by UnstoppableGuitar » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:34 pm

very good sense of tempo. And very beautifull piece.
thanks
guiannini cadiz gwnc 3 1991

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Post by James Lister » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:21 pm

TsarL wrote:Lovely playing! It's one of my favorites.
UnstoppableGuitar wrote:very good sense of tempo. And very beautifull piece.
thanks
Thank you both! I'm hoping to post a video recording of this piece soon...

James

Noadman

Post by Noadman » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:46 pm

I had not listened to your recording before now, though I see it is almost a year old. I never get tired of playing this or hearing well-played renditions. Inspiring, thanks for posting and hope to see a video. :casque:
Heaven puts its price on all things.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:38 pm

I missed this when first posted...
:bravo:
I do like it in D.
Thanks for sharing it with us. :D

In your recording setup, how far are the microphones from the guitar? I'm not sure if the set up is capturing the full range of dynamics. I'm listening through Bose headphones, but it could just be the inadequacies of the sound card in my computer, too! Having attempted recordings myself, I know how hard it seems to be to capture the full lovely sound of a guitar. :|
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:47 pm

HI James,

I realise you posted this some ago, though the thread got revived recently, so I add my 2 pence to it:

I think this is very good. If I could do this at this level I would be VERY happy. I think there is no reason to apologise for using a guitar instead of a cello. Otherwise Glen Gould or Angela Hewitt would be (have been) wrong to use anything other than a cembalo to play e.g. Goldberg variations.

Best wishes
Joachim

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:05 am

Thank you James that was a wonderful performance! You recording was very professional and crystal clear! I really liked it, as I always love to hear Bach pieces played! Bravo, awesome playing, thanks again for uploading this!!

Return to “Our recordings of J. S. Bach”