Bach, J. S. - BWV 1007 Prelude

Audio and video recordings of the works of Johann Sebastian Bach.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Bach, J. S. - BWV xxxx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Bach, J. S. - BWV 0997 Prélude - D09 Video (BWV number padded out with zeroes to 4 digits.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Bach, J. S. - BWV 1007 Prelude

Postby James Lister » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:22 pm

As promised, my rendition of BWV1007 - Prelude from the 1st Cello suite. After half a dozen or so more attempts I finally got a take that I was reasonably happy with this evening. I've been playing this for many years, but left it for quite a while after deciding that the guitar version could never really compete with the cello, but I like it so much - and I can't play the cello!

Same recording set-up as before - Behringer mics into a Soundcraft mixer onto Audacity on my laptop. Some reverb added courtesy of Gverb on Audacity.

Hope you enjoy it - all comments welcome.

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

ashworth

Re: Bach, J. S. - BWV 1007 Prelude

Postby ashworth » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:28 am

Very nice! Most enjoyable to hear. This is one of my favorite pieces as well. I don't think I've heard this particular version before; some of the bass notes are different from the versions I have.
- Donnie

Erik Zurcher

Postby Erik Zurcher » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:47 am

Lovely, James, but I find the bass tones too dominant. :merci: :bravo: :bye:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Paul Janssen

Postby Paul Janssen » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:00 am

Wow James, you're going through a bit of a Bach phase at the moment!! First the Prelude to BWV998 and now BWV 1007. Both are great pieces and amongst my favourites. I feel that BWV 1007 works really well on guitar.

If I may be so bold, to me this felt a little rushed. It may be because when I play it I have to play it slower to get some of the changes clean, but I wonder if you would consider slowing it down a tad and letting some of the phrases breath a little (I'm not suggesting taking breaks, just giving them some room to move if that makes sense?).

Otherwise, a very enjoyable performance.

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:37 am

Thanks all for the comments so far...

:merci:

ashworth wrote: I don't think I've heard this particular version before; some of the bass notes are different from the versions I have.

I started out with the Duarte version many years ago - but I've changed a few things as well based on other versions I've seen and/or heard. Not sure where the various bits come from now!

Erik Zurcher wrote:Lovely, James, but I find the bass tones too dominant.

Thanks, Erik. I think it's a combination of the guitar (I love big basses), but also the mic position is not ideal. In order to get the ambient noise levels down I have the mics quite close to the guitar, which tends to emphasise the basses.

Paul Janssen wrote:If I may be so bold, to me this felt a little rushed. It may be because when I play it I have to play it slower to get some of the changes clean, but I wonder if you would consider slowing it down a tad and letting some of the phrases breath a little (I'm not suggesting taking breaks, just giving them some room to move if that makes sense?).

Possibly - I've heard versions both significantly faster and slower tempos than mine - but I do agree that a few more "breaths" would help.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Pat Dodson

Postby Pat Dodson » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:04 pm

Very enjoyable James. :casque: I learned this in C but have always preferred the sonority of it in D. l have been frit to learn it in D though in case both versions end up in a dreadful tangle. :? I so enjoyed your playing though that I think I might risk it. On my phone the basses sound well balanced with the mids and trebles and the overall sound is splendid. :bravo:

TsarL

Postby TsarL » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:25 pm

Lovely playing! It's one of my favorites.

Return to “Our recordings of J. S. Bach”