Bach, J. S. - BWV 1012 Allemande - Cello Suite no. 6 Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Johann Sebastian Bach.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Bach, J. S. - BWV xxxx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Bach, J. S. - BWV 0997 Prélude - D09 Video (BWV number padded out with zeroes to 4 digits.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
David Belcher

Bach, J. S. - BWV 1012 Allemande - Cello Suite no. 6 Video

Post by David Belcher » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:29 pm

I know I haven't been around here very much lately, but I think I promised about a year ago to post a recording of this when I finally got around to it, so here is my arrangement of the Allemande from J. S. Bach's Sixth Cello Suite in D Major. :merci:

Youtube

Dave B
"In music I think it's very, very dangerous if you start to compare and say, 'This is good, this is not good, this is only one possibility' . . . there are so many possibilities, but what is important is to be open to that." - Pavel Steidl

Alain Cloutier

Re: Bach, J. S. - BWV 1012 Allemande - Cello Suite no. 6 Video

Post by Alain Cloutier » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:19 pm

Thanks David!

Everything is great in your video, the feeling, the technique and of course the beautiful tone.

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:50 pm

Excellent playing David. I really enjoyed the video. Thanks for posting!

David Belcher

Post by David Belcher » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:13 pm

Thanks, Alain and Rasqeo! I'm glad you both enjoyed it.
"In music I think it's very, very dangerous if you start to compare and say, 'This is good, this is not good, this is only one possibility' . . . there are so many possibilities, but what is important is to be open to that." - Pavel Steidl

James Stephens
Teacher

Post by James Stephens » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:01 pm

Beautiful playing David and a very nice sounding recording. Could you tell us about your recording setup and technique? Thanks!
James

David Belcher

Post by David Belcher » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:10 pm

Hi, James. Thanks for your nice comment!

For recording I use two MXL 606's (very cheap mics—I think I got the pair for under $150) into a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. The mics are probably...four feet (maybe a little less) away from me, about two feet off the ground, and spaced about a foot away from one another. I experimented with all sorts of different placements and this one gets the most natural sound of all of them in the room I record in. Believe it or not, I did two takes of this recording and my first take was by far the superior sound-quality-wise, but I liked the execution of this take a lot better so I went with this one.

Peace,

Dave B

James Stephens
Teacher

Post by James Stephens » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:13 pm

Thanks Dave, very helpful!
James

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:27 pm

This performance drew me in. When the time passes and I become aware that I have only been aware of the music for a length of time, then I know that the performer has summoned that concentration which evokes the listener's concentration as well. Bravo!

David Belcher

Post by David Belcher » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:20 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:This performance drew me in. When the time passes and I become aware that I have only been aware of the music for a length of time, then I know that the performer has summoned that concentration which evokes the listener's concentration as well. Bravo!
Thanks, Denian! That's a wonderful compliment. This is some of my favorite music and it's very easy to get lost in it, so I'm glad I was able to draw you into that world. All the best to you!

Peace,

Dave B

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:35 am

Really nice Dave. Definitely a modern interpretation, which makes it really appealing, fresh. Flows really well. Great job on the arrangement.

What guitar are you using?
Whatever catastrophe or dynamic equilibrium this will eventually lead to will be a mathematical not a moral phenomenon. - A Fryer

David Belcher

Post by David Belcher » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:57 am

Thanks, chiral!

I play a 2008 Paul Sheridan (West Australian luthier).

Peace,

Dave B

Kenbobpdx

Post by Kenbobpdx » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:17 pm

Very nicely done, David. I will often times listen to postings while in my office. This one made stop what I was doing and really pay attention. As Denian said, it really draws the listener in. Always the hallmark of good playing. Thanks for sharing this.
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

David Belcher

Post by David Belcher » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:59 pm

Thanks, Kenbobpdx! Glad you enjoyed it.

Peace,

Dave B

Anastas

Post by Anastas » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:06 pm

Really nice interpretation David. Tone is beautiful and your music is breathing like a living organism.
Thanks for shearing.

David Belcher

Post by David Belcher » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:47 pm

Thanks, Anastas!

Return to “Our recordings of J. S. Bach”