Bach, J. S. - BWV 0999 Prélude - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Johann Sebastian Bach.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Bach, J. S. - BWV xxxx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Bach, J. S. - BWV 0997 Prélude - D09 Video (BWV number padded out with zeroes to 4 digits.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
andrebraci

Bach, J. S. - BWV 0999 Prélude - Video

Post by andrebraci » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:31 pm

Hello my friends, earlier this week a recorded one of my favorite pieces to study. I hope you guys like as well.

Youtube

andrebraci

Re: Bach, J.S. - BWV 999 Prélude - Video

Post by andrebraci » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:26 pm

PS: Any construtive critics will be welcome

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Re: Bach, J. S. - BWV 0999 Prélude - Video

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:33 am

Hi André,

I used to play this a lot and you do quite well. If you want some advice or constructive critics - I find you should rush less in a first aproach (even if you play it faster later)and try to bring out more the separation betweeen the arapeggio and the bass line, (even if they make part of the same melody), it sounds nice if you have some acentuation on the bass line. It should sound very fluid but acentuated at the same time. Try to imagine the arapeggio and the bass as two counteracting elements - like calling and answering. In the following video you find a good example how it should sound. All the best

Youtube

Chris

Post by Chris » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:55 am

You have got the arpeggios down, really good. You could slow down a little and buy yourself time to play it more musically (Matthew McAllister's expression in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sssrprD3kA).
For example, each measure (motif) can be played like a little arch raising in volume until the 3rd beat and then lowering a little again. The bass line drives the piece forward through the major sections and different keys so let them can "sing" a little more than the other notes. In the 'difficult' couple of bars where you play the arpeggios on the same string (you which bars they are), take care to make them sound like the other arpeggios by playing them legato and not putting too much stress on the highest note (just before the 3rd beat). That's all right here and now, it's a lovely piece :)

andrebraci

Post by andrebraci » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:41 pm

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:33 am
Hi André,

I used to play this a lot and you do quite well. If you want some advice or constructive critics - I find you should rush less in a first aproach (even if you play it faster later)and try to bring out more the separation betweeen the arapeggio and the bass line, (even if they make part of the same melody), it sounds nice if you have some acentuation on the bass line. It should sound very fluid but acentuated at the same time. Try to imagine the arapeggio and the bass as two counteracting elements - like calling and answering. In the following video you find a good example how it should sound. All the best

Youtube
Hello Christian!! Thanks for the advice, i found very difficult to change the tempo in the music, i dont know if its because i only pratice with the metronome but if tried to change the tempo i completlely lose my timing :(
But i will work to improve this now that i have more time to pratice!!

Muito obrigado!!

andrebraci

Post by andrebraci » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:45 pm

Chris wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:55 am
You have got the arpeggios down, really good. You could slow down a little and buy yourself time to play it more musically (Matthew McAllister's expression in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sssrprD3kA).
For example, each measure (motif) can be played like a little arch raising in volume until the 3rd beat and then lowering a little again. The bass line drives the piece forward through the major sections and different keys so let them can "sing" a little more than the other notes. In the 'difficult' couple of bars where you play the arpeggios on the same string (you which bars they are), take care to make them sound like the other arpeggios by playing them legato and not putting too much stress on the highest note (just before the 3rd beat). That's all right here and now, it's a lovely piece :)
Thank you my friend for the advice!! I am studying one Villa-Lobos piece very good to express a more "singable" emotion, next week i will tried to upload the result so you can give me more feedback.

Have a nice weekend!!

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:05 pm

It's interesting that in the original (speaking in D minor) the bass in measure 23 is F, not E. That can be seen in the piano midi version herein, as well.

Obviously, most transcriptions make in an E just like the measures that precede it and follow it, and nobody really notices. But it does sound nice as an F. If you have a multi-string it's possible.

To the OP - it sounded like a good start. I would slow it down and focus on each chord sounding clean and pure, holding down fingerings to get as much ringing as possible. To me that's worth a lot more than speed.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:07 am

Very nice playing of this wonderful Bach Prelude! Your playing was very good and flawless, everything sounded great! Thank you for sharing and keep up the great work!

Return to “Our recordings of J. S. Bach”