Bach, J. S. - BWV 1006a Prelude - D10 Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Johann Sebastian Bach.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Bach, J. S. - BWV xxxx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Bach, J. S. - BWV 0997 Prélude - D09 Video (BWV number padded out with zeroes to 4 digits.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Will95

Bach, J. S. - BWV 1006a Prelude - D10 Video

Postby Will95 » Sat May 02, 2015 6:15 pm

The Prelude to the 1006a suite is a really interesting piece- sort of like the black sheep of all the lute suite preludes, as it's a point of contention whether Bach even wrote it to be a performance piece, or just as an example to one of his students....but I digress.

It's certainly a difficult one- fast and furious, with lots of shift changes and the classic contrapuntal melody lines- although not to the same degree as a lot of the other lute suite music.

Youtube

Sorry for the vertical filming! I don't have a proper camera, just using my phone, and there's no good way to prop up a horizontal camera in my limited space where you're going to be able to see anything.

mike.janel

Re: Bach, J. S. - BWV 1006a Prelude

Postby mike.janel » Sat May 02, 2015 6:52 pm

This is my favorit Bach prelude. It always seemed to me "lighter" and more "modern" than others. It also fits great to the guitar.
You did a fine job on a very hard piece.
Well done and thanks for sharing.
:merci:
Michael
-----------------------------------------------
2013 Amalio Burguet 3M (Cedar)
1989 Yamaha CG 110 (Spruce)
1982 Yamaha G 255S (Spruce)

leyenda

Postby leyenda » Fri May 08, 2015 6:37 pm

this is areally tricky piec e, a definite yest of endurance. you play it really well with good technique and musicianship. look forward to hearing more.
who is your teacher?

David Belcher

Postby David Belcher » Fri May 08, 2015 6:50 pm

Really nice, Will95! At first it felt as though the tempo was a bit on the slow side, but once you got into the trickiest sections I hardly noticed it as the piece still motors along just fine. As leyenda said, great technique and musicianship. You handled some of the most difficult passages with ease, a clear sign of discipline and hard work (not to mention a fair bit of talent!). Great job.
"In music I think it's very, very dangerous if you start to compare and say, 'This is good, this is not good, this is only one possibility' . . . there are so many possibilities, but what is important is to be open to that." - Pavel Steidl

Will95

Postby Will95 » Sun May 10, 2015 3:05 pm

Thank you all, very kind comments.

@mike.janel
Yes, it definitely has that lighter feel- it's more relentless than the others (if you just go by the score there are virtually no breaks from start to finish, but most guitarists find one or two places to take a breather)

@leyenda
Thank you very much! I would like to record more but I don't feel I'm able to do sufficient justice with just my phone recording on the fine instrument I have- I'll have a bit more money to play with later this year and I hope to invest in some good recording equipment for that purpose. My teacher is Michael Christian Durrant.

@David
Thanks for your kind words!
Yes, I was taking it a little under tempo here to best increase the chance of a mistake-free-as-possible recording. I'm working on building up the speed but I feel that a piece like this (and indeed all of the Lute suites) really deserve to have some time taken over them. There's a lot of players on Youtube who blast through it at frightening speed but I think that's a quick way to lose some of the lovely suspensions that are found all throughout the piece.

David Belcher

Re: Bach, J. S. - BWV 1006a Prelude - D10 Video

Postby David Belcher » Mon May 11, 2015 11:39 am

I completely agree re: the tempo, Will. Thanks!
"In music I think it's very, very dangerous if you start to compare and say, 'This is good, this is not good, this is only one possibility' . . . there are so many possibilities, but what is important is to be open to that." - Pavel Steidl

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Mon May 11, 2015 1:35 pm

Very nice playing indeed. Very enjoyable!

The only little thing I had an issue with is the tuning of the guitar ... it sounds a hairs' width off to my ears (???) but that's maybe me.

Keep going!
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Cary W

Postby Cary W » Mon May 11, 2015 1:55 pm

I enjoyed your performance - good groove happening there. :bravo:
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

wongsteven51

Postby wongsteven51 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:48 am

Bach actually didn't write this for the lute. As a matter of fact, he never wrote for the lute at all!

This one in particular was written for solo violin, partita no.3 in E major. Bach must have decided it would sound good on lute later because he transcribed it himself only adding a few bass notes, most noticeably the low E at the beginning.

His other solo lute works, barring bwv 995 which similar to 1006a was written for cello and transcribed by Bach, were written for a keyboard instrument that was designed to look and sound like a lute. However, lutenists embraced these pieces anyway and now guitarists play them frequently as well.

One might be fooled into thinking that he wrote them for lute and transcribed them for cello and violin respectively because the lute version has a lower number, at least in the case of the cello suite. but these numbers were not chronological to when they were written but rather categorized later by characteristics. For example all of the solo lute works, cello works, and violin works are grouped together.

I hope this sheds some light on the history of that piece and why you thought it might just be a study for scales of single note lines.

therebelartist

Postby therebelartist » Mon May 25, 2015 3:32 pm

Hi There Will95. Great playing, I really enjoyed the confident 'attack' and tonal colours in your performance of this lovely Prelude. Nice tempo too. :bravo: Very well done. :)
1965 Condal - Classical 650mm (sold)
1972 Martin Fleeson (sold)
2014 Lester Backshall - Recital 1B - 640mm

ashepps

Postby ashepps » Mon May 25, 2015 5:57 pm

Will95 wrote:The Prelude to the 1006a suite is a really interesting piece- sort of like the black sheep of all the lute suite preludes, as it's a point of contention whether Bach even wrote it to be a performance piece, or just as an example to one of his students....but I digress.
It's certainly a difficult one- fast and furious, with lots of shift changes and the classic contrapuntal melody lines- although not to the same degree as a lot of the other lute suite music.
Youtube

Sorry for the vertical filming! I don't have a proper camera, just using my phone, and there's no good way to prop up a horizontal camera in my limited space where you're going to be able to see anything.

It was certainly a treat, I have heard it before, but never saw it played.

Well don!

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

bhudso

Postby bhudso » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:04 am

Very well done indeed, Will. How is it three years later?
I think the tempo is great, as you mentioned there are some one youtube painfuly fast.
One of my favourite recordings is by Göran Söllscher on the lute, about the same speed.
I've been working on this for just over four months, some days it's a dream, others less so.

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:37 am

:bravo: Very well played! I love this prelude and it is very hard to play. You did a really good job in playing it and even the difficult parts as well. Very very good! :merci: :bye:

Return to “Our recordings of J. S. Bach”