Sor, Fernando - op.44bis - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Fernando Sor.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sor, Fernando - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sor, Fernando - op.34 L'Encouragement - D08 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Tom Poore

Sor, Fernando - op.44bis - Video

Post by Tom Poore » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:21 pm

About ten years ago I made a recording of Sor’s “6 Valses faciles pour deux Guitares, Op. 44bis.” Only recently I’ve learned how to make a slideshow with iMovie. (There was much bumbling and cursing during the learning process.) So here’s the complete performance of all six waltzes. This recording was done on the cheap, before I upgraded to higher quality recording gear. Nonetheless, I’m very happy with the performances. Hope you enjoy these delightful little pieces.

Youtube

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Cass Couvelas

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.44bis - Video

Post by Cass Couvelas » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:13 pm

I did indeed! Very delightful. Thank you for posting.

Listening straight from a Mac laptop with no earphones, the recording quality sounds remarkably good!
"She ran the whole gamut of emotions from A to B."
(Dorothy Parker on Katharine Hepburn)

DaveLloyd

Post by DaveLloyd » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:41 am

I've never heard those pieces before.

Thanks for posting your video!

I thought you did a superb job of performing them!

I'm off to find the score!

Dave

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:21 am

Thanks to both of you. You won’t have to go far to find the score—it’s right here on Delcamp:

http://wayback-01.kb.dk/wayback/2010102 ... BS0748.pdf

I made these recordings about ten years ago when I was first learning how to record myself. Considering the modest equipment I was using, it turned out okay. And it was fun trying to get both parts to sound good together. Getting rubato properly timed was a real challenge when recording each part separately.

Regarding Sor, I really think most guitarists underestimate how good his music can sound. Hitting the notes isn’t enough. There’s more to it than mere marksmanship.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

DaveLloyd

Post by DaveLloyd » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:11 am

I really enjoyed your video Tom, and I thought the recording quality was excellent, especially since it was an early attempt.

I had found the facsimile copy of the score you mention above, I also found more modern copies (separately for each of the waltzes), at IMSLP, under the Creative Commons Licence, by some kind person (username Crimson Thorn) who had engraved them using Lilypond.

I can imagine how challenging the rubato must have been!

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:01 am

DaveLloyd wrote:I really enjoyed your video Tom, and I thought the recording quality was excellent, especially since it was an early attempt.
For this recording, the recorder was a Korg D-4. The mics were a pair of Shure BG 4.0. Neither are made any more. The Korg was a pain in the butt to use, but gave decent results once I figured it out. Still have it, in fact. It’s gathering dust somewhere in my house. I once lent it to one of my students and told her she could keep it if she wanted it. She gave it back.

I still use the Shure mics for gigs. Have had them for over 20 years. They’re cheap but rugged little buggers.
I can imagine how challenging the rubato must have been!
Well, when it came to timing, both players in the duo were pretty much in agreement. So that made it a bit easier.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

DaveLloyd

Post by DaveLloyd » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:08 am

Tom Poore wrote: Well, when it came to timing, both players in the duo were pretty much in agreement. So that made it a bit easier.
:lol:

Return to “Our recordings of Fernando Sor”