Sor, Fernando - op.32/01 Andantino in E major

Audio and video recordings of the works of Fernando Sor.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sor, Fernando - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sor, Fernando - op.34 L'Encouragement - D08 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Tom Poore

Sor, Fernando - op.32/01 Andantino in E major

Postby Tom Poore » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:03 am

This performance is slower than most recordings by other guitarists. Sorry, I just hear it that way. (Must be getting old.) In Op. 32, this E major piece is obviously paired with the E major waltz that follows. To me, it’s no accident that Sor wrote the waltz in 3/8 and this piece in 3/4. Clearly he wants this one slower than the one that follows—a leisurely aria followed by an upbeat waltz. Anyway, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Enjoy. And maybe someday I’ll record No. 2. It makes a nice companion to this one.

Sor Andantino.mp3

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tom Poore on Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big bird

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.32/01 Andantino in E major

Postby Big bird » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:21 pm

Nicely played Tom, thank you.

JohnNguyen

Postby JohnNguyen » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:52 am

The guitar sounds very sweet, and the articulation is lively and superb, Tom! Is this recorded with the new pre-amp and mic sets you mentioned on the other forum? Nice! Do you mind sharing your setup configuration?
Cheers,

John

Tom Poore

Postby Tom Poore » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:28 am

JohnNguyen wrote:The guitar sounds very sweet, and the articulation is lively and superb, Tom! Is this recorded with the new pre-amp and mic sets you mentioned on the other forum? Nice! Do you mind sharing your setup configuration?

Thanks. My current recording gear is listed at the bottom of this page:

http://www.pooretom.com/recording.html

By the way, the more I listen to this recording, the more I think it needs to pick up the pace. Might redo it. Interestingly, “andantino” is a problematic tempo indication:

http://www.subtiliormusicengraving.com/ ... -andantino

I’ve always found it confusing. It’s nice to know Beethoven did too, so I’m in good company.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Terry Sanderson

Postby Terry Sanderson » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:42 pm

Sounds great to my ears Tom :casque:

:bravo:
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Eleanor Roosevelt

djajasoekarta

Postby djajasoekarta » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:21 am

Sounds good Tom!

Cheers,
'The woolen cloth of his suit made me question the value of Chinese silks. His fountain pen made me ashamed of my writing brushes and Chinese writing paper' - Puyi

'I don't write music to be difficult, only to be more like itself' - Harrison Birtwistle

Tom Poore

Postby Tom Poore » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:40 pm

Thanks to all.

As it happens, I’m now convinced that it could be better. There are things missing in my recording, and the plodding tempo is really starting to annoy me. I’ve already compiled a wish list of the things I want to put across in this little piece. So I’ll redo it soon. I also want to record Op. 32 No. 2, which Sor obviously intended as a companion to No. 1.

I’m starting to think I must do everything twice before getting it right. But hey, the Cavs needed a second try to beat Golden State for the NBA title, so it’s all good.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Tom Poore

Postby Tom Poore » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:37 pm

Okay, the first recording annoys me. The tempo is too slow and the playing a bit too saccharine for my taste. I also want a lighter touch. So I’ve redone it. Here’s the new version:

[mod edit: recording in the 1st post replaced]

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
Last edited by Tom Poore on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

DaveLloyd

Postby DaveLloyd » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:40 pm

Beautifully played Tom!

My preference is for the second version.

Dave
1975 Manuel G. Mayoral — Cedar Top

Paul Janssen

Postby Paul Janssen » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:53 pm

Hi Tom,
Thank you for sharing this and for introducing me to yet another one of Sor's little gems. I was looking for a new piece to learn and this piece will fit the bill perfectly. There looks like some interesting timing in this piece especially the quintuplets in the 7th last measure. I'll just have to listen closely to your recording to help me navigate through this.

I do prefer your second recording to your first. The first was just a tad too slow for me. I'm also curious as in the edition that I'm looking at (which I retrieved from the sheet music here on Delcamp) the tempo is marked at Andantino. I'm not sure whether Andantino is supposed to be a little faster or a little slower than Andante?
All the best,
Paul

P.S. in my day job I work for a basketball organisation. We were all sitting around the office watching the game and hoping that the Cavaliers would get up. It was certainly a great game!!

RHSOldboy

Postby RHSOldboy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:51 am

Great playing, Tom. I enjoyed the second recording best, having listened to it first.
Thank you for posting.
Looking forward to Number 2.
Regards,
Robert.

Tom Poore

Postby Tom Poore » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:58 am

Apparently I’m not the only one who prefers my second recording.

One of the dangers in not being a virtuoso is that my hands can determine my tempos. Speed is always a problem for me. If I let my hands do my thinking, they’ll settle into a tempo that’s comfortable for them. Unfortunately, that’s often slower than a purely musical decision would be. So I’ll set aside the guitar and sing the piece. Whatever tempo I sing is probably the tempo it should go. I check that against a metronome, and that becomes my target tempo.

This can be a problem sometimes. For example, I want to record the last movement of Giuliani’s Op. 15, but the tempo I hear is just beyond what my hands can comfortably do. Still working on it.

Paul, I’m glad you’re thinking of learning this little gem of a piece. Let me know if you want to discuss anything about it.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Yisrael van Handel

Postby Yisrael van Handel » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:24 pm

Hi, Tom,
Listened to both of your recordings several times with great interest, using my just acquired Tecla edition of the Complete Works of Sor. The first recording was interesting for the effects and range of tone colors. But the second, lighter version allowed the harmonic development to be more prominent (especially recurring the E - A - E motif). The second version is also more horizontal that the first, and I prefer it. Both are well and very smoothly played. I agree with Paul Janssen that getting all rhythms in this piece correct looks quite daunting.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Yisrael van Handel

Postby Yisrael van Handel » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:36 am

Yisrael van Handel wrote:Hi, Tom,
But the second, lighter version allowed the harmonic development to be more prominent (especially recurring the E - A - E motif).

I should have better said harmonic movement, as you cannot really speak about harmonic development in a miniature, such as this one. Instead of E - A - E motif, I should have better said I - IV - I.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:45 am

Very nice playing, Tom! :casque:

Unfortunately the rules of "Our recordings" section only allow a single recording per topic, and a single topic per piece per member, so I have replaced your original recording with the new one.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Return to “Our recordings of Fernando Sor”