Sor, Fernando - op.32/02 Waltz in E major

Audio and video recordings of the works of Fernando Sor.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sor, Fernando - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sor, Fernando - op.34 L'Encouragement - D08 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Tom Poore

Sor, Fernando - op.32/02 Waltz in E major

Post by Tom Poore » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:27 am

Got the second selection from Sor’s Op. 32 done. It’s clearly intended as a companion piece to Op. 32, No. 1:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=105329.

Took a little doing to get this recorded. After doing the first A section with no problems, my recording system starting producing static in the rest of the recording. I had to go back today and redo the B section and the return to A. Thus, this piece was recorded on two separate days. Hope it’s not too obvious in the finished recording.
Sor 2.mp3
And yes, I changed a few things from the written score. Please don’t tell the composer.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

crisscross

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.32/02 Waltz in E major

Post by crisscross » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:58 pm

Nicelly done, in spite of the technical problems!

RHSOldboy

Post by RHSOldboy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:44 am

Great! I enjoyed listening. Thank you for posting.

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:53 pm

Thanks to both.

Some years ago when I was a student at the Cleveland Institute of Music, I had a class next to a room where Peter Salaff coached student string quartets. (He is a founding member of the esteemed Cleveland Quartet.) Although I heard many different composers played in that room, there was one I heard most often: Haydn. For Salaff’s students, Haydn was clearly a rite of passage. And for good reason.

For guitarists, I believe Sor should be required playing. There are at least two reasons. First, Sor lives or dies on phrasing and articulation. Yes, all music does. But with Sor, these issues come to the fore. Since there’s so much repetition in early 19th century music, players need imagination to keep it from devolving into mindless “been there, done that.”

Second, in my experience, few guitarists are good at early 19th century music—particularly Sor. For confirmation, one need look no further than the Naxos complete recording of Sor’s guitar music. With few exceptions, this is a dispiriting slagheap of bland playing. One may be tempted to blame the composer. But when we hear the rare player who gets it right, it becomes obvious that it isn’t the music’s fault.

In my defense of Sor, I’ll let another guitarist of more renown than mine have the last word:
  • “I think to overapply romanticism to Sor’s music is a great mistake. There’s a classicism—not unlike Mozart—in his style, which to my mind is a style of beautiful understatement. But if you give understatement space and time, it has a positive element that transcends the simplicity or the innocence of the material. Sor needs immense care and affection, and if one invests his music with that, I can’t see how anybody can object to it.”———(Julian Bream)
Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

wapolo

Post by wapolo » Wed May 17, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi Tom,
Excellent recording and thoughtful comments regarding the lack of good Sor playing. Who do you feel are some the of the rare guitarists who are able
to do justice to the music of Sor? Other than our esteemed friend Mr. Bream, of course. ;)

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Mon May 22, 2017 12:56 pm

Rather than list the famous names, I’ll instead offer a plug for someone not so well known. Here’s a delightful performance by two college students at the Conservatoire de Lille. Unfortunately, their names aren’t given, and the recorded sound isn’t good. But their performance hits the mark in both spirit and style.

Youtube

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

wapolo

Post by wapolo » Mon May 22, 2017 7:03 pm

This is quite a lovely performance of Sor's music as well.

Youtube

Return to “Our recordings of Fernando Sor”