Sor, Fernando - op.31/01 - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Fernando Sor.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sor, Fernando - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sor, Fernando - op.34 L'Encouragement - D08 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Dmitry Nilov

Sor, Fernando - op.31/01 - Video

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:09 am

Dear friends! Here it is my record of the Etude №1.

I chose Etudes by Fernando Sor op.31 for several reasons:
1) Fernando Sor is an outstanding composer;
2) My students play these etudes on different levels of their study. At their request I will from time to time record in my home studio etudes with which we are working now;
3) Not only the playing technique (here I mean velocity) is improved with the help of Sor's etudes, but also the musical thinking is developed. In my opinion it is even more important for a musician;
4) There is nothing very complicated at first sight in scores, but this impression is misleading. Each etude can be performed in a different fingering. And on the assumption of the problems to solve (conception of performing) you can identify for yourself the level of this piece's complexity.

Youtube

lagartija

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.31/01 - Video

Post by lagartija » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:12 pm

Nice little study! I remember that as a beginner I always wanted to hear how some of the studies I was assigned were supposed to sound like, but rarely could I find a recording of them.

Do you have a comment about the musical/technical intent of this study? (Besides velocity). Many times a student has no idea what they are supposed to be achieving in a particular study.

Thank you for sharing this with us. :-D
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:07 pm

Very nicely played!
lagartija wrote: Do you have a comment about the musical/technical intent of this study? (Besides velocity).
This is marked andante, so for my taste the OP's tempo is quite fast, sounds like allegretto. Nothing wrong with striving for the ability to play it cleanly at that tempo though!

Personally I think getting the melody to flow with emphasis on the right beats (one is strongest, three is a little less strong, two is backed off) might be the key point. I think it's good try to play the melody and ignore the bass and middle voices to get an idea of where the emphasis belongs.

There are also a few hints of counterpoint, perhaps to introduce the idea to a player one step at a time.

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:20 pm

Thanks for your appreciation!
Music is a living matter and it would be wrong to put it into "chains" of any metronome's tempo. In different times tempos had varieties. I've just showed here one of the examples of the performing ("prima vista"). There can be several of them, despite the apparent simplicity.
My purpose was to show that these "simple" etudes for beginners can sound in different ways. They are really good for brainwork training, for working with phrasing and articulation, conception and, inevitably, with fingering. A large field for researches of a beginning guitar player.
The etudes like this are ideal to acquire the musical literacy and to understand the laws of the Music.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:09 pm

Great video and guitar lesson. :bravo: :merci: :bye:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:32 pm

Dmitry Nilov wrote:Thanks for your appreciation!
Music is a living matter and it would be wrong to put it into "chains" of any metronome's tempo. In different times tempos had varieties. I've just showed here one of the examples of the performing ("prima vista"). There can be several of them, despite the apparent simplicity.
My purpose was to show that these "simple" etudes for beginners can sound in different ways. They are really good for brainwork training, for working with phrasing and articulation, conception and, inevitably, with fingering. A large field for researches of a beginning guitar player.
The etudes like this are ideal to acquire the musical literacy and to understand the laws of the Music.
Very good point, and nice to hear it approached differently from how most people might approach it in a traditional sense. I'll look forward to seeing what else you post in the future!

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:19 pm

Very nicely played Thank you. This is currently one of my practice studies and is considered by the "Complete Sor Studies" Volume as an Intermediate -to-Advanced Level piece. I will then consider your playing as an Advance Level Player. Hoping that you keep showing up at this site with your very nice performances. You are a Master Teacher for some of us that do not have the benefit of a CG tutor.

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:53 pm

:merci:

Kent

Post by Kent » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:22 pm

I see you incorporate extensive use of chiquito (c). The little finger is underused so it is good you are teaching to use it!

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:26 pm

Kent wrote:I see you incorporate extensive use of chiquito (c). The little finger is underused so it is good you are teaching to use it!
I'm not so sure he's using the little finger at all. I think it's just moving along with use of the a-finger which makes it look like he might be using it.
I could be wrong though!

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:45 am

:bravo: Just wonderful music! :merci: for posting it! :)

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:53 pm

powderedtoastman wrote:
I'm not so sure he's using the little finger at all. I think it's just moving along with use of the a-finger which makes it look like he might be using it.
I could be wrong though!
You are right! I don't use it (only in rasgueado), but movements of the little finger along with the a-finger mean the muscular freedom that must be.

Smith

Post by Smith » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:23 am

This is great too! I practice fast pieces slowly sometimes and slow pieces fast, but only partly to break the monotony of practising. I find it also changes the feeling in interesting ways sometimes.

RHSOldboy

Post by RHSOldboy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:31 am

Great to hear this piece played so nicely! Thank you.

ADeanS

Post by ADeanS » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:44 pm

Wow! so this is how this is suppose to sound. I play it so much slower that it doesn't even sound like the same piece. I learned a lot from watching your left hand. You position makes the chord transitions look so much simpler than it feels to me, and you play at least part of it up the neck. I play that bridge in first position. I am going to try it your way.

Thanks

Dean

Return to “Our recordings of Fernando Sor”