Sor, Fernando - op.35/17 - D04 - Gut Strings/No nails

Audio and video recordings of the works of Fernando Sor.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sor, Fernando - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sor, Fernando - op.34 L'Encouragement - D08 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
tateharmann

Sor, Fernando - op.35/17 - D04 - Gut Strings/No nails

Post by tateharmann » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:47 am

So I'm trying a new combo of strings and recorded this test once they had finally settled down. The basses are Aquila Seta, 3rd and 2nd strings are light tension gut, and 1st is medium tension. The gut trebles are by Gamut out of Minnesota :)

Very punchy basses (especially the open E) and warm, velvety trebles. These are on a Joseph Redman guitar in spruce and wenge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When I eat, it is the food that is scared." - Ron Swanson

lucy

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.35/17 - D04 - Gut Strings/No nails

Post by lucy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Lovely, Tate. :bravo:

You're getting a great sound on those gut strings! And your sound without nails is excellent too. :casque:

It's one of my favourite Sor studies, I have to say I usually play it a lot faster, as I like to make it joyful and upbeat, but it sounds very nice and soulful at your tempo too.

Wonderful to hear a different take on a classic. All the best music allows for different interpretations! :)
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:38 pm

Very beautiful ! Thank you !
And let me ask a question: how is this guitar tuned with these strings ? 440 Hz or lower ? I read that gut strings need to be tuned at 415 or a little more , but not 440.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:18 am

Thanks for the reply, folks ;)

The tone is ok...it's still not quite where I want it to be but it's getting better every day lol.

Jacek - you are correct, I have the strings tuned to A=415hz. You can go higher like up to 428 but generally you shouldn't go up to 440. Gut strings are higher tension than nylon and won't last long at that pitch.

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:58 am

Verru nice sound ! il love it :casque: :bravo: :casque:

I think I would try gut strings me too :P

:merci:
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Thanks Isa!

You should try them, they are expensive but they do last a long time ;) when you play without nails, that is.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:49 pm

I wonder how would they compare to nylgut strings like Aquila Alabastro low tension mod. 97C if a player plays with nails and tunes at 440 ?

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:50 pm

Hey Jacek - nylgut is good...and cheaper...more durable...can tune to 440 - but it's just not the same! haha

But it's definitely a great way to get started - I think rectified nylon is nice too, it's got a real textured feel to it like gut.

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:37 pm

tateharmann wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:47 am
So I'm trying a new combo of strings and recorded this test once they had finally settled down. The basses are Aquila Seta, 3rd and 2nd strings are light tension gut, and 1st is medium tension. The gut trebles are by Gamut out of Minnesota :)

Very punchy basses (especially the open E) and warm, velvety trebles. These are on a Joseph Redman guitar in spruce and wenge.
I really love that sound and I am getting dangerously close to going over to the wild side and filing my nails below the level where they can be used at all. A couple of questions if you don't mind:
How long have you been playing without nails ?
What is the total cost of the set you are using (Aquilas and Gamuts) ?
How long would they last (playing about 1 hour a day on average) ?
Yamaha GC42S

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:35 pm

No problem - glad to answer any questions :)
How long have you been playing without nails ?
Less than 2 years, I think about 1 year and 9 months. Unfortunately it does take some time to start sounding nice - and I'm not even close to where I'd like to be in terms of tone. There are others here that sound much better than me lol.
What is the total cost of the set you are using (Aquilas and Gamuts) ?
The Aquila's are $13 US for the whole set (basses and trebles - nice to have spare trebles for when the gut ones break hehe) the Gamut's are as follows: 3rd: $14, 2nd: $10, 1st: $7 - this adds up to a total of $45 or so. But these are by no means the cheapest option out there it's just that they sound good.
How long would they last (playing about 1 hour a day on average)
I think you are on par with me there as far as playing time goes. Other factors to consider are your body chemistry (like do you sweat a lot and it is the acidic type that will eat through the strings?), where you live (Quebec, right?) because humid places will annihilate those strings quickly, and if you're using nails or not. For me, I live in Minnesota, USA where I would venture a guess that our climates are fairly similar.. so we are good there. I, of course, play without nails and I'm not a big sweater (is that even a word?). The first string to go will be the high E 1st (I usually buy 2 at a time)- but under my personal conditions they last over 2 months. The 2nd string can last 6 months or more and the 3rd over a year!

Hope that helps

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:15 pm

I read this thread with great attention, because I am inspired by Rob MacKillop tone and I will be heading in this direction. Both my guitars are "modern" classical with Spanish bracing pattern and cedar tops, and I read that the gut strings are rarher dedicated to Romantic guitars or their contemporary copies. This is why I will begin from nylgut dedicated to contemporary classical guitars and playable with nails. But I do not exclude that one day I will cut/trim my nails and will begin to play without nails - if this would make sense on my guitars as they are indicated in my signature. In a way I feel encouraged reading, that your, Tate, Joseph Redman guitar which, if I remember, is a modern classical instrument plays well with gut strings. Thank you !

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi Jacek - there certainly are many who use gut on romantic and romantic guitar copies. If I had to classify the Redman, I supposed I would put it between romantic and modern. It was built after Torres instruments and as such the body is a bit smaller than most modern designs. That being said, there is nothing wrong with playing with real gut on modern cedar guitars. Rob does here with beautiful results:

http://classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewt ... 941bae12f9

UPDATE - I believe that's a cedar topped instrument anyway..hehe. Best wishes.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:09 pm

- thanks, Tate, for enlightenment...my Picado with it's scale 640 mm and fan bracing seems to be a "rightful heir" to Torres construction, it's body is rather on the smaller side, not as big as, say, old Ramirez 1A with it's 664 scale and properly larger body. By nearest change of strings I'll say good bye to Augustine Black/Imperial and I will begin with Aquila Alabastro 97C. Then I will see :)

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:19 pm

For sure! I bet it will sound great :) I love those Picados - they are great guitars...I used to have a model 53, I think. Yours should be juuuust right !

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:48 am

Wow, very lovely playing and so beautiful of this Sor piece! I really enjoyed listening to it! :merci: :bye:

Return to “Our recordings of Fernando Sor”