Sor, Fernando - op.35/17 - D04 - Gut Strings/No nails

Audio and video recordings of the works of Fernando Sor.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sor, Fernando - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sor, Fernando - op.34 L'Encouragement - D08 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
tateharmann

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.35/17 - D04 - Gut Strings/No nails

Post by tateharmann » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:18 am

Thank you!
"When I eat, it is the food that is scared." - Ron Swanson

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:15 pm

tateharmann wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:35 pm
No problem - glad to answer any questions :)
How long have you been playing without nails ?
Less than 2 years, I think about 1 year and 9 months. Unfortunately it does take some time to start sounding nice - and I'm not even close to where I'd like to be in terms of tone. There are others here that sound much better than me lol.
What is the total cost of the set you are using (Aquilas and Gamuts) ?
The Aquila's are $13 US for the whole set (basses and trebles - nice to have spare trebles for when the gut ones break hehe) the Gamut's are as follows: 3rd: $14, 2nd: $10, 1st: $7 - this adds up to a total of $45 or so. But these are by no means the cheapest option out there it's just that they sound good.
How long would they last (playing about 1 hour a day on average)
I think you are on par with me there as far as playing time goes. Other factors to consider are your body chemistry (like do you sweat a lot and it is the acidic type that will eat through the strings?), where you live (Quebec, right?) because humid places will annihilate those strings quickly, and if you're using nails or not. For me, I live in Minnesota, USA where I would venture a guess that our climates are fairly similar.. so we are good there. I, of course, play without nails and I'm not a big sweater (is that even a word?). The first string to go will be the high E 1st (I usually buy 2 at a time)- but under my personal conditions they last over 2 months. The 2nd string can last 6 months or more and the 3rd over a year!

Hope that helps
Thank you!
Yamaha GC42S

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:52 pm

No problem, it's my pleasure ;)

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:37 am

In case anyone else is following this thread or others with regard to gut strings and flesh playing I made a quick demo of the range of the guitar. This is starting on the open E 6th string all the up to 1st string 19th fret. These strings retain their sound all the way up the range. I'm playing the basses with free strokes and the trebles with rest strokes, though. Oh, and this is the straight sound off of the guitar - no effects or anything else:

https://soundcloud.com/laguitarraclasic ... man-guitar

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:38 pm

I decided to redo this recording for a couple of reasons. First, the original was rather quiet/distant. Second, I found some discrepancies in the notation I was using compared to others. For anyone who's interested or is familiar with this study, it has to do with the third-to-the-last measure, #30 on the fourth beat. The original notation I used has a low open 6th string E with an open 2nd string B. However, I've found more than one other score that notates this beat as a low 6th string, 3rd fret G with the same B. I don't know what Sor originally wrote, but I quite like the version with the G :) So I played it that way for this recording, see what I'm describing here:
Screenshot from 2017-08-22 11-35-56.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Our recordings of Fernando Sor”