Sor, Fernando - op.60/12 - Romantic Guitar Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Fernando Sor.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sor, Fernando - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sor, Fernando - op.34 L'Encouragement - D08 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
powderedtoastman

Sor, Fernando - op.60/12 - Romantic Guitar Video

Post by powderedtoastman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:59 pm

Hello all!
Inspired by the "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60 together" thread in the Public Space section, here is my quick performance of number 12, which is actually one of my favorites in the early half of this opus.

Youtube

I have a weekly volunteer gig where I sit in a lobby and play for passers-by for two hours, and so I decided to get into these beginner/intermediate Sor studies along with the similar ones from Carcassi and Carulli in order to quickly ramp up to having two hours' worth of repertoire that I could play without repeating anything.
I really love these Sor studies especially because beyond being technical exercises to teach a beginner, they really are miniature pieces of music. If you stop and try to listen to these pieces in your head with the voice of an opera singer, they really come alive, and I think that could help with our guitar interpretations. These from Sor just have a slight over Carcassi+Carulli in that regard, at least for the very simplest ones. Then get to the more complicated ones and it's something else entirely!

Well, perhaps that's enough rambling. I don't want to spam this forum section so I won't post every time I have an entry from this opus, but I will form a playlist on my YT channel perhaps! I hope you enjoy!

EDIT: Here's my playlist... so this post is the home for my Op. 60 performance rather than continuing to make new threads.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Lb8ZhSTBor

wapolo

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.60/12 - Romantic Guitar Video

Post by wapolo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:56 pm

One of my favourites as well; great job!

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:54 pm

Thanks for the video, great playing!

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:09 am

I mess up when I play even easy pieces for anyone at all--or a camera! So if you don't mind, I'm going to borrow your demeanor. You don't quite mug, but you have an easy confidence that I need to learn. Maybe all of your public performances help. Maybe I'm reading too much in to this.

Oh and this piece is fun to play! Thanks for pointing it out.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:10 am

Thanks for listening guys!

I think I do OK playing in front of people at work or at house parties for friends, or similar settings. So putting a camera on myself in my room doesn't bother me too much. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to more consistently relax for an open mic, actually! Even though I consider the folks there to be my friends basically.
I feel like part of it may be that I'm going to walk up there cold and play for five minutes max... if I'm going to play a set for 30 minutes or an hour then perhaps the pressure I put on myself is distributed across that time.

At any rate this will help me document my progress and notice things about my playing so I shall return soon!

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:19 pm

So lovely! :bravo:

And I love your guitar too. :casque: It sounds great! :D
powderedtoastman wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:10 am
But I can't for the life of me figure out how to more consistently relax for an open mic, actually! Even though I consider the folks there to be my friends basically.
I feel like part of it may be that I'm going to walk up there cold and play for five minutes max... if I'm going to play a set for 30 minutes or an hour then perhaps the pressure I put on myself is distributed across that time.
It's never easy to play for a short time in those kind of situations. It's partly that you don't get to relax properly, because you're not on for very long - and secondly there is often no warm up time, because you've spent the last hour, or more, listening to others play.

It sort of puts people at a disadvantage, when the whole point of things like that is to improve people's confidence at public performance. They do have upsides too, though. :)
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

Return to “Our recordings of Fernando Sor”