Sor, Fernando - op.44/15 - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Fernando Sor.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sor, Fernando - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sor, Fernando - op.34 L'Encouragement - D08 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
powderedtoastman

Sor, Fernando - op.44/15 - Video

Post by powderedtoastman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:41 am

In rare form, I decided on a whim to record myself playing this on my more modern guitar (Kenny Hill Rodriguez that I bought from somebody on this forum last year!). I think I see a couple of little issues I'd like to iron out but that's kind of why I record myself on video! Nitpicks aside I think I'm pretty happy with this take.

Wait so is this piece really Fernando Sor or did JS Bach come to him in a dream?!? :lol:

Youtube

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.44/15 Video

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:03 am

:casque: I like it a lot and your playing is good. Also the guitar is sounding fantastic.

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:58 pm

Thanks! I picked up this guitar before I really knew what I was doing with it, because it seemed like a very good deal. With some very good instruction from a couple of local teachers, I'm slowly learning to get the most that I can out of this and my other guitar. It turns out I made a good choice though, this guitar suits my style and musical choices quite well!

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:50 pm

Very good teachers I would say! Your technique appears to be really good, especially if a year ago you didn't know what you were doing. Very smooth, no tension, solid right hand position, etc.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

powderedtoastman

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.44/15 - Video

Post by powderedtoastman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:38 pm

Thanks! Yes, my right hand technique has made leaps and bounds in the last year and a half, as I've learned to be very planted and prepared on the strings, and initiating strokes mostly with the big knuckle, with some follow through into the palm. I know there's that one very long thread with some heavy debate about the big knuckle thing, but it's working very well for me and it helps me to play more confidently for myself or even for an audience. And the tone generation that goes with this right hand approach. Well once you hear and feel the difference it makes, that's something special too!

Reviewing my own videos I would like to see the right hand just a little more over the strings with the knuckles lined up a little better over the string being planted/played, but I don't think it's that far off. Left hand I am now going to work to minimize excess motion while going for a little more relaxation. I just had a nice lesson on that for one of my trouble spots, and I think that will help me get more legato on the counterpoint parts if I want it!

Thanks for listening and giving positive feedback, it's much appreciated!
Just last night I found the Sor Study that is logical to set my sights on similar to this one, in Op. 29 No. 17 but that's going to be a long way off. I hope some day I can perform and post that one. It's now a long term goal!

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:25 pm

powderedtoastman wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:41 am
Wait so is this piece really Fernando Sor or did JS Bach come to him in a dream?!?
Nicely done Steve :D and no of course Sor wasn't dreaming about Bach but this is a good example of his retro-style, some counterpoint, even some imitation.
Op 29/17 is several substantial steps up from this one ...
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:26 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:25 pm
Op 29/17 is several substantial steps up from this one ...
Yup, I can hear and see the extra levels on the score. So I think I won't even touch it this calendar year, probably even next! I could get into some of Op. 6 though, reasonably. There is still much work to do along the way and lots of entertaining music to cover!

Return to “Our recordings of Fernando Sor”