Sor, Fernando - op.29/24 Etude in E minor

Audio and video recordings of the works of Fernando Sor.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sor, Fernando - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sor, Fernando - op.34 L'Encouragement - D08 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Tom Poore

Sor, Fernando - op.29/24 Etude in E minor

Post by Tom Poore » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:52 pm

Not sure why this etude gets so little attention. To me, it’s a pensive and hauntingly beautiful work.
Sor Wet.mp3
The recording is with a Roland R-05. Guitar is a Vazquez Rubio Estudio Model. I just bought a new audio interface, and some new microphones are also on their way. When they arrive, I plan to re-record this piece. The better sound, I hope, will be matched by better playing.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom Poore

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.29/24 Etude in E minor

Post by Tom Poore » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:57 am

As promised, here’s my follow-up recording.

Recording equipment:
Audio Technica AT4041 microphones
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface
Planet Waves Custom Series XLR cables
Audacity DAW

Guitar:
2001 Paul Fischer Taut Model
Sor Op. 29 No. 24.mp3
I really love this piece, so it was a pleasure to record it again with better stuff. And redoing it gave me an opportunity to recycle the profanity I employ when botching a take.

(You might notice, looking at the bottom of this post, that I’ve repeatedly edited it. That’s because I’m experimenting with different reverb settings on Audacity. Every time it gets better, I reload the MP3. I promise to stop—eventually.)

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tom Poore on Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:19 am, edited 5 times in total.

RHSOldboy

Post by RHSOldboy » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:45 am

An enjoyable listen and so nicely and freely played. Great melody - it seems to have an element of joy to it.
Thank you for posting.
Regards,
Robert.

therebelartist

Post by therebelartist » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:26 pm

Hi Tom,
Really enjoyed your playing, very well done and sounds so confident. I will look out for more of your postings.
:merci: :bravo:
1965 Condal - Classical 650mm (sold)
1972 Martin Fleeson (sold)
2014 Lester Backshall - Recital 1B - 640mm

KeMe

Post by KeMe » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:15 pm

:applauso:
I enjoyed listening to you play this beautiful piece. Now, I'm going to have to locate this piece and give it a try.
Thank you for sharing your music with us.
:merci:
Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

FHC

Post by FHC » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:21 pm

Well done Tom!

mc1

Post by mc1 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:31 pm

Tom Poore wrote:
Sor Op. 29 No. 24.mp3
I really love this piece, so it was a pleasure to record it again with better stuff. And redoing it gave me an opportunity to recycle the profanity I employ when botching a take.
that sounded great. very nicely played. one small bit of constructive criticism, if i may, is to consider just improvising with the profanity. sure, it often doesn't work so well, but when it does - magic.

all kidding aside, your playing always sounds very toneful and polished.

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:27 pm

Thanks to all. The sound I’m getting with my new gear isn’t where I want it to be. But today I experimented some more with mic placement and hit on something that doesn’t sound quite as thin and metallic. So I guess I’ll have to give this piece another shot next week. If I do, I'll replace the last sound file.
mc1 wrote:your playing always sounds very toneful and polished.
To be honest, I cheat. Most of my recordings nowadays are edited. (In my defense, if Manuel Barrueco can edit, then so can I.) In preparing for a recording session, I break the piece into sections and practice each one. I then write up a recording sheet that lists each section by measure numbers. During the recording session I check off each section on the list. When all are checked off, the session is done. It’s then time to sit down at the computer and stitch it together.

Regarding editing, I have my own code of ethics. I never create anything via editing that I can’t do live. (Well, other than giving a note perfect performance.) So, for example, recording something under tempo and then speeding it up through digital alchemy is verboten. I also have a rule of thumb. A professional engineer told me that the average CD has anywhere between 300-500 edits. Taking the lower figure and applying it to a one hour CD, that works out to an edit every 12 seconds. So I hold myself to keeping my error correction rate in that ballpark. In fact, I deliberately leave in some minor blips that don’t detract greatly from the performance. To my ear, too much perfection sounds sterile. Happily, I’m blessed with a massive capacity for avoiding excessive perfection.

There’s another thing I now do. In the days leading up to the recording session, I make a “wish list” of things I want to get onto the recording. These are all the expressive details I believe necessary for a convincing performance. Having this list handy as I practice helps me focus on getting more consistent in putting across these details. It also helps me on recording day, reminding me of things that otherwise might get lost in the hurly-burly of recording.

The more recording I do, the more I appreciate the value of being well prepared and organized.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:14 pm

Meh I wouldn't worry about editing recordings...it takes more time but the finished product is better :) And yea, most professional guitarists edit the heck out of their tracks that we listen to on CD's.

Both of these recordings sounded beautiful - the second one sounded a little bit more polished and professional.

I never tire of discovering new Sor pieces...in fact, I usually never tire of his music. Thanks for introducing this one to me!
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:22 pm

tateharmann wrote:Meh I wouldn't worry about editing recordings...it takes more time but the finished product is better.
For me, it’s a question of time and sanity. The time I’d need to get one perfect take can be better spent experimenting with expressive ideas. Further, I’d have to throw out an otherwise great take because of one flubbed note. Sorry, life is too short for that kind of aggravation. A recording, I believe, should be an ideal performance. It’s a model of how one thinks the piece should go. As long as I don’t cross the line into outright fraud—creating through digital alchemy something I can’t do live—I’ve no objection to editing. It saves time and keeps me from smashing my guitar into a wall.

For concert artists, editing is also a question of money. Every minute in the recording studio is money spent. As a consumer of their recordings, I’d rather they get more bang for their buck. Time spent on getting perfect takes means less music, less expressively played.

I’m aware that some have an ethical problem with editing. To an extent, I share their concern. But even without editing, one can argue that recording is still inherently unethical. Consider if you refuse to edit, and thus keep doing takes until you get a perfect one. In a sense, you’re still editing. You’re keeping the perfect take and suppressing the flawed ones. So you’re being unethical. You’re implying that the perfect take is an accurate sample of your playing.
tateharmann wrote:Both of these recordings sounded beautiful—the second one sounded a little bit more polished and professional.
Glad you liked it. I recently upgraded my equipment, so another recording of this is in the offing. And I also think the tempo should be a bit higher. Oh well, this piece is worth the effort.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

AndreiO

Post by AndreiO » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:12 pm

Bravo the final is a bit scary for me!
:bravo:
www.classicalguitars.ro

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:04 am

AndreiO wrote:Bravo. The final is a bit scary for me!
Be brave.

Seriously though, I believe Sor is too often played as a “pretty” composer. He’s more than that. There’s a dark undercurrent in some of his music that tends to be ignored. So when doing his music, I like more muscle on the bone.

Now that I’ve finally learned to upload an audio file to YouTube, here’s my recording with a photo slideshow:

Youtube

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

6strings

Post by 6strings » Mon May 09, 2016 1:24 pm

Tom Poore wrote:To be honest, I cheat. Most of my recordings nowadays are edited. (In my defense, if Manuel Barrueco can edit, then so can I.)
Even Pepe Romero's albums were edited, Noches de España being probably the most post-edited of them all I guess, so of course you can do.

Found this thread while I was looking for some info about mics, and just fast to say, I think you played very well. I found the trebles a bit on a thinner side, but overall I think you achieved great tone with the recording on Youtube, so definitely a +1 from me. I don't understand why other members couldn't take the time to click on that like button, I think you certainly deserved it.
Tom Poore wrote:Not sure why this etude gets so little attention. To me, it’s a pensive and hauntingly beautiful work.
There is no bad Sor etude! Da man was a genious. If he poured same time in piano music he would be played as Schubert, Chopin or any other big classical composer.
Tom Poore wrote:There’s a dark undercurrent in some of his music that tends to be ignored. So when doing his music, I like more muscle on the bone.
I totally agree. Andante Largo been one of more often played ones, with d-minor part really shining the darkness and romantic sentiment. Op. 6 no 11 is another hauntinly beautifull one, but I guess both of those are quite well played.

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Tue May 10, 2016 1:46 am

Thanks. The treble sound on this old recording bothered me too. (Like the performance—dislike the sound.) Since making it, I’ve upgraded my recording equipment. If you look up my Mertz and Giuliani recordings on Delcamp, you’ll hear the improvement.

Tried doing things on the cheap. Didn’t work. To get good sound, you gotta pry open the wallet.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

FHC

Post by FHC » Thu May 12, 2016 3:19 pm

Bravo Tom. I enjoyed several of your YouTube videos.

Return to “Our recordings of Fernando Sor”