Sor, Fernando - op.35/22, Segovia #5

Audio and video recordings of the works of Fernando Sor.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sor, Fernando - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sor, Fernando - op.34 L'Encouragement - D08 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Philosopherguy

Sor, Fernando - op.35/22, Segovia #5

Postby Philosopherguy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:49 am

I have started to record some of my practice sessions, and I just got a new Zoom H1 recorder. So, I decided to post this and see what you guys thought of the overall sound of the recorder. I still have 20 days to return it! Any suggestions?

My playing is just so-so in the recording. But, I was just recording it for someone as a sound demo thought the sound of the guitar came out quite nice. I may re-record it in the new few weeks and do a little better. However, I am looking for opinions on the quality.

So far I find the recorder very handy! For the price, its not too bad. The sound is better than anything I have used up to this point (which was mostly a Blue Yeti).

Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

DaveLloyd

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.35/22, Segovia #5

Postby DaveLloyd » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:27 pm

Hi Martin,

I think you are too hard on yourself — Your playing sounded great to me! :bravo:

The sound quality of the Zoom H1 sounds pretty good. I've never actually heard a recording made with one before, but it's nice and clear.

I bought a Snowball mic, a while back, and I was looking at some of the Zoom range at the same time. The Snowball's great, but it's very sensitive, and picks up a lot of background noise, and also fan noise etc. from the PC, so I had to build a mini sound booth to clean it up.

After hearing your recording, I might go ahead and purchase a Zoom mic — but probably not the Zoom H6 at circa £300.00 ($400.00).

Dave
1975 Manuel G. Mayoral — Cedar Top

Philosopherguy

Postby Philosopherguy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:10 am

DaveLloyd wrote:Hi Martin,

I think you are too hard on yourself — Your playing sounded great to me! :bravo:

The sound quality of the Zoom H1 sounds pretty good. I've never actually heard a recording made with one before, but it's nice and clear.

I bought a Snowball mic, a while back, and I was looking at some of the Zoom range at the same time. The Snowball's great, but it's very sensitive, and picks up a lot of background noise, and also fan noise etc. from the PC, so I had to build a mini sound booth to clean it up.

After hearing your recording, I might go ahead and purchase a Zoom mic — but probably not the Zoom H6 at circa £300.00 ($400.00).

Dave

Thank you for the kind words. I am one of those people who gets nervous in front of a mic, so it always disappoints me to hear myself! Hahaha.. But, I actually think the zoom recorder is helping me with that lately.

I really don't think you can go wrong for the price of the zoom. You get like 17 hours recording out of it at a high bit rate of MP3 and the quality is quite good for practice. I just set it up and let it run and then go back later in my audio software and cut out the song I want and keep it. It's really quite handy. All you need is a cheap portable camera stand with the extendable legs and you can set it up and record anywhere you like and there is no fan noise. I have a Blue Yeti usb mic too and I always heard my laptop fan with it, plus it was harder to find a stand for and aim properly and you need to drag your laptop out to use itThe zoom is very easy. I would recommend the h1 for a very bargain recorder with no frills, or you can go to the h2n or h4. A lot of guys in here seem to like the h4 because it is more flexible with what you can do. But, I think for the price and for simple usage, the h1 is quite good and suits my needs to record practices.

Post some recordings if you can! It's always nice to hear others play. I just like to hear the varied sound and techniques people use.

Regards,
Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

DaveLloyd

Postby DaveLloyd » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:25 am

Hi Martin,

I know what you mean about a mic being intimidating.

Thanks for the hints about the Zoom h1, I'll definitely look into that in the future.

My guitar has just come out of retirement after many years of total neglect. I'm still trying to figure out which end you're supposed to blow down, or whether you need a bow to play it! :lol:

At the moment I can only remember fragments of pieces I played years ago, so it will be a while yet before I have anything up to speed, and worthy of recording.

Dave
1975 Manuel G. Mayoral — Cedar Top

Return to “Our recordings of Fernando Sor”