Famous pieces of repertoire you just don't like?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Jedaks

Famous pieces of repertoire you just don't like?

Post by Jedaks » Wed May 13, 2015 11:57 pm

Not pieces you are simply tired of hearing. I mean pieces you never liked the sound of.

Manuel de Falla - Homenaje.

I must not have a sophisticated ear because to me this piece sounds discordant and I get a queezy feeling when I hear it.
Last edited by Jedaks on Thu May 14, 2015 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
"He gave it for his opinion, that whoever could make two ears of corn, or two blades of grass, to grow upon a spot of ground where only one grew before, would deserve better of mankind"... J.Swift

Kjetil Heggelund

Re: Famous pieces of repertoire you just don't like?

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Thu May 14, 2015 12:13 am

No, don't believe so...wait: Cavatina from the Deer Hunter, but I try to be enthusiastic when students have a go at it. This thread might become an unpopular one...
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Thu May 14, 2015 12:44 am

Kjetil Heggelund wrote:This thread might become an unpopular one...
Ha. :D Well, you say that but I bet it has 22 pages of disgruntled "HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE <inset piece of music>?!" comments by next week. Haven't read a heated thread for a while so this'll be fun. :mrgreen:

I'll start... HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE CAVATINA?! :shock:

:wink:
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

DavRom

Post by DavRom » Thu May 14, 2015 12:52 am

recuerdos de alhambra

just awful with all that mandolin stuff

ashworth

Post by ashworth » Thu May 14, 2015 12:57 am

I'm not that crazy about Recuerdos, either. It's ok, but I've never understood the wild popularity of it.

I don't understand the appeal of Villa-Lobos Prelude No. 1, either. (Actually, there is not a lot of Villa-Lobos' solo guitar music that is very interesting to me, with the exceptions of the Prelude No. 4 in E Minor and the Etude No. 8.)
- Donnie

khayes

Post by khayes » Thu May 14, 2015 1:29 am

Another vote here for Recuerdos and most other tremolo pieces.
Ken

Nick Clow

Post by Nick Clow » Thu May 14, 2015 2:32 am

Manuel de Falla - Homenaje.
YMBJ (that's you must be joking) or I could say YMBFJ!

Amazing piece. Although it 'works' on guitar, it's worth listening to piano version as Falla wrote it originally for piano. Adapted by Segovia. The history of the score is interesting (Segovia lost the original, Llobet produced a version - overly floral, too many harmonics etc, Bream seems to rely more on the piano score).

The piece obviously includes both a Spanish nationalistic feel (refer festival at which it was initially played and the ideas of Spanish composers at that time) and the heavy influence of Debussy. Torroba (Suite Castellana 1925) and others follow in similar vein.

Bream says that Britten heard him play Homenaje and he really liked it, perhaps helping to convince him to write Noctural. Britten is said to have commented that Homenaje is 4 minutes long but contains 20 minutes of music.

A Very Important Piece of Music.
Last edited by Nick Clow on Thu May 14, 2015 4:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

dory

Post by dory » Thu May 14, 2015 2:48 am

I am not wild about Recuerdos either, but may have been overdosed on it.
Dory

DavRom

Post by DavRom » Thu May 14, 2015 3:09 am

lol

i was joking about recuerdos de alhambra

i guess there are people out there that don't like Bach or Mozart or...

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu May 14, 2015 6:59 am

I like Recuerdos. But Asturias gets on my nerves if it's not done well. In the Seventies John Williams knocked me out with it, but nowadays I hate the way he can't play it without constant acceleration.

Some guitar music like Romanza and Lagrima is at risk of being twee if not played with utmost conviction.

Nowadays my favourite Williams performance is the Sanz (I've forgotten what it's called and I'm too lazy to look it up)
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Post by tom0311 » Thu May 14, 2015 7:07 am

I quite like Cavatina when played at a consistent pace, but some interpretations really wind me up with too much rubato.

Personally I've never enjoyed listening to Asturias.
“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.”

Pragueguy

Post by Pragueguy » Thu May 14, 2015 7:07 am

ashworth wrote:I'm not that crazy about Recuerdos, either. It's ok, but I've never understood the wild popularity of it.

I don't understand the appeal of Villa-Lobos Prelude No. 1, either. (Actually, there is not a lot of Villa-Lobos' solo guitar music that is very interesting to me, with the exceptions of the Prelude No. 4 in E Minor and the Etude No. 8.)
I am with guitar for a long time... since years I also lost interest in V-L, partly in my case because I listened to everything and (tried) to play everything for years, but several mos. ago for some reason I took up the Schottish Choro from the Suite Bresilienne, and now it's one of my favorite pieces/tunes.. It turns out it's really upbeat, rhythmic and fun to play! And NOT in a minor key..It's quite a crowd-pleaser, too.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu May 14, 2015 7:10 am

Villa-Lobos is wonderful but nearly played out. If you want to claim that the ability to be played out is indicative of an over-rated composer, I wouldn't immediately blame you.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:00 am

DavRom wrote:i guess there are people out there that don't like Bach or Mozart or...
Correct! I don't like Mozart, his music is so boring, and I never understood how someone could listen to it voluntarily. The most boring guitar piece is Lagrima. For me music is a way to express emotions, and in my ears pieces like Lagrima (or pieces written by Mozart) are only a collection of notes, and I never found any perceptible emotions in them.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu May 14, 2015 9:06 am

Jedaks wrote:Not pieces you are simply tired of hearing. I mean pieces you never liked the sound of.
Didn't read that bit. Cavatina might come closest, but I can't remember how it struck me in the Seventies.

Return to “Public Space”