D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
DaveMoutrie
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat May 13, 2017 5:52 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 11:09 am
Chu Bun wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 4:02 pm
The Student's Corner thread is for all classes. There may be too much traffic there. Should we start our own thread somewhere to discuss just the d03 final exam piece? Maybe in the Spanish/English forum where there people write dummy post to keep the account alive? I find it very helpful to see other clips and learn how they approach the piece.
I have startred a thread in the english section of the spanish forum titled: D03 Exam piece 2017

I'm hoping that if this is not allowed one of the moderators will let me know.
So far so good, I even have a short video of parts A and B and there have been no objections so far.

Hopefully the thread can stay there and everything will be tickerty boo.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat May 13, 2017 7:26 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 5:52 am
So far so good, I even have a short video of parts A and B and there have been no objections so far.

Dave
I did check with John who moderates the registrations there and he checked with the Spanish forum moderators who said they were ok with it being there.

I have a problem having broken a nail down to the quick, so difficult to practice.
Hope to have enough nail soon.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat May 13, 2017 8:04 am

Thankyou Colin.

I split a thumb nail, but managed to repair it using some China silk and nail glue. I also have some acrylic nails but have avoided using them so far as I'm not sure what effect it will have on tone quality.

You now have the decision to make as to whether to cut down the other nails and let them all grow back at the same rate, or pop down to the local chemist and buy some artificial nails and some glue. An awkward time for it to happen, just before the exam.

Good luck and keep up the practice what ever!
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat May 13, 2017 1:27 pm

David, Colin - any suggestions on strengthening nails? Just started growing them a month ago and they seem to chip/break pretty easily.

Ed

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat May 13, 2017 1:27 pm

David, Colin - any suggestions on strengthening nails? Just started growing them a month ago and they seem to chip/break pretty easily.

Ed

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat May 13, 2017 2:39 pm

I find that OPI nail envy works pretty well - get the matte version or all the girls will be jealous of your shiny nails.Or you could give them a coat of IBD 5 second nail glue (get the one with the brush) - you only need to use china silk to reinforce when you actually break a nail.

I'm sure there is a thread somewhere on delcmamp.

Apart from that make sure you get plenty of calcium and vitamins and its a good idea to carry a role of surgical tape in your pocket for temporary repairs - saves broken nails from getting snagged and easy to pull off when you get home and want to make a more permenant repair.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat May 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Dave - thanks. I will look into these products.

Ed

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat May 13, 2017 5:58 pm

I used superglue as a temp strengthener but went down to Boots to get a nail strengthener.
A lot of people seem to use teabag instead of silk!

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat May 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 7:26 am
DaveMoutrie wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 5:52 am

Dave
I did check with John who moderates the registrations there and he checked with the Spanish forum moderators who said they were ok with it being there.

I have a problem having broken a nail down to the quick, so difficult to practice.
Hope to have enough nail soon.
So sorry to hear that, Colin... I guess it must be extremely difficult to keep long nails and build instruments.
Faster recovery!
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat May 13, 2017 7:11 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 5:58 pm
I used superglue as a temp strengthener but went down to Boots to get a nail strengthener.
A lot of people seem to use teabag instead of silk!
Yep, I used a teabag once too, it actually worked pretty well (with super glue). Now I have some 'swiss silk' but never tried it yet (hopefully, there will be no need to).
Cordoba C9

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat May 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 7:08 pm
I guess it must be extremely difficult to keep long nails and build instruments.
Faster recovery!
Thanks Andrei
Strangely I did it beekeeping!

I'll have to look out for Swiss silk

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sun May 14, 2017 5:59 am

I'm not sure what the difference is between china silk and swiss silk. The china silk I bought came on a roll - you cut to size, peel the paper off the back and stick it to your nail before applying the nail glue. It's very strong and impossible to tear. Makes your nails look slightly white when the glue is applied.

I bought mine from coolhair88 on e - b a y for just 99p(inc P&P) - took a couple of weeks to arrive from China though.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon May 15, 2017 5:04 pm

lesson 9 exercises - a few/many stumbles

barre

Youtube

sanz jacaras

Youtube

branle anglais

Youtube

samba lee

Youtube

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon May 15, 2017 9:52 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 9:37 pm
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 7:08 pm
I guess it must be extremely difficult to keep long nails and build instruments.
Faster recovery!
Thanks Andrei
Strangely I did it beekeeping!

I'll have to look out for Swiss silk
I once broke my nail when just washing my face... :?
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu May 18, 2017 10:46 am

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 5:04 pm
lesson 9 exercises - a few/many stumbles

barre

Youtube

sanz jacaras

Youtube

branle anglais

Youtube

samba lee

Youtube

I can see your playing is coming on and you have been practicing a lot Ed - good job. I hope you don't mind if I make a few comments on each of the pieces.

Baree - coming on nicely can see you have your fretting finger nice and close to the fret - just make sure you keep it perfectly vertical to each of the frets.

Samba - There is a bass note at the beginning followed by a descending arpeggio. If you prepare the left hand fingers in advance you will play this with greater fluidity. This is by no means an easy piece, but it can be made less difficult by focussing on economy of movement in the left hand.

Branle Anglais - A major part of this piece is the slurs so it is important to get them right. In bar 1 the two parts of the slur C and D have equal duration, a quaver or half a beat, then the E which is a crotchet lasts for a full beat. You would count <one and> for thw C and D, then <two and> for the E. What I am trying to say is that you need a bit more of a delay before pulling off - or in other words you have premature pull-off.

Jacaras - There seems to be a lot of head movement, are you looking from the music to your left hand and then back again?
I have not practiced this piece very much, but the first half seems to consist of just 2 chords D minor and A - It may be a good idea to memorise those 2 chord shapes so you don't have to refer to the music.

In summary, well done Ed and keep at it.

:D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”