Another Question on Walton's Bagatelle #2

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Malcolm

Another Question on Walton's Bagatelle #2

Post by Malcolm » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:40 am

In the artificial harmonic section from bar 57 (which I am slowly getting to grips with) bar 61 evidently requires the drop D to be played with the thumb but at the same tine the thumb is supposed to be playing an A flat on the 4th string. This is obviously impossible as far as I can see, so should the subsequent B flat and F still be played with the thumb, which is still tricky but definitely not impossible or is it possible to leave them all out?

Cheers,
Malcolm
When I was ten, I thought my parents knew everything. When I became twenty, I was convinced they knew nothing. Then, at thirty, I realized I was right when I was ten.

Mark Twain

MarcusStrand

Re: Another Question on Walton's Bagatelle #2

Post by MarcusStrand » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:43 pm

Play the acciaccatura (A on the 6th string in the bar before) with the thumb, then pull off to the low D with the left hand finger. That way your thumb is free to play the A flat so it and the low D can sound at the same time. Requires some practice but it's not overly complicated.

John Kemp

Yet ANOTHER Question on Walton's Bagatelle #2

Post by John Kemp » Fri May 19, 2017 7:40 pm

There seems to be a misprint in bar 61. In every other occurence of this 3 chord sequence, the E is flat. I can see no reason why this is not the intention in this bar too: if Walton had intended an E natural, he would surely have included a cautionary natural sign?

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat May 20, 2017 3:39 am

John Kemp wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 7:40 pm
There seems to be a misprint in bar 61. In every other occurence of this 3 chord sequence, the E is flat. I can see no reason why this is not the intention in this bar too: if Walton had intended an E natural, he would surely have included a cautionary natural sign?
Certainly appears to be a misprint. In fact, I hadn't even noticed and have been playing E flat anyway. Playing E natural simply sounds wrong!

Cheers,
Malcolm
When I was ten, I thought my parents knew everything. When I became twenty, I was convinced they knew nothing. Then, at thirty, I realized I was right when I was ten.

Mark Twain

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat May 20, 2017 4:10 am

John Kemp wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 7:40 pm

Mark Twain

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Sat May 20, 2017 4:55 am

I agree with John and Malcolm that this is a misprint (which I also have never noticed, as a natural E doesn't make sense).

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”