From a 1902 Flamenco Guitar Method

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
RobMacKillop

From a 1902 Flamenco Guitar Method

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:39 am

Stephen Faulke made me a "working man's" guitar after Santos Hernandez and Barbero, from the days when the distinction between classical and flamenco guitars was less defined. In many ways it's a simple guitar, cypress back and sides, but it sounds and plays great. The question was what to play on it.

I started looking at the Guitar Method (Flamenco) by Rafael Marin, published in 1902. It seems to connect the southern-influenced pieces of Arcas with classical and genuine late 19th-century flamenco (as far as my limited knowledge can make out). In short, I find it a fascinating book. You can download it for free from my site, and read more of my thoughts about it, which will be expanded in due course.

https://rmclassicalguitar.com/flamenco/

There are no profound pieces, but for guitar historians it is full of interesting things. For instance, here is a Solea by Arcas, but not the long rambling one we might have become used to. This one is shorter, tighter, and fun to play. I'm trying to develop the rest-stroke, which I haven't really done for 25 years! But it will give you an idea of to tone of the repertoire in the book. And, of course, I play without nails...

Youtube

mod edit: youtube link fixed

More videos on my webpage linked above, including a pmi tremolo - different from both the "classical' and 'flamenco' tremolos of today - and also a nice Peteneras.

Thanks to Stephen Faulke for making such a great guitar!

randalljazz

Re: From a 1902 Flamenco Guitar Method

Post by randalljazz » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:59 am

can't access your site or your youtube.
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:04 am

Hmm. I can, on three computers. Anyone else have a problem?

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:31 am

okay, now I can get on your site (windows 10 just did some updates), but the youtube says the video does not exist ("An error occurred during validation")...
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:40 am

but the one on your site plays... (nice, thanks)

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:40 am

I watched it on Windows 7 via the link you posted in this thread. Nice job.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:42 am

Technology can be wonderful, and deeply tiresome. I don't know why these things happen. Anyway, you can all see and hear the videos on the website: https://rmclassicalguitar.com/flamenco/

R.V.S.

Post by R.V.S. » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Great find! Thanks for sharing both the original score and the videos.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:56 pm

Thanks.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:26 pm

Interesting Rob. The Solea tenuously reflects Soleares, while the Peteneras is definitely Peteneras.

With respect to the PMI tremolo, I have an experiment for you if you would like to try it. If you play PMI, why not just double the MI before returning to the bass note, and so you get PMIMI, a really good four treble note tremolo, which is what I use myself.

Stephen put a neat touch on the headstock - he duplicated the hole in the headstock that was frequently seen back then, which presumably was there to hang the guitar on the wall.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:32 pm

Hi Ramon,

Thanks for your comments. I could of course try pmimi, but in this instance I was doing what was written, but I will give it a try later today. What I found interesting (though on reflection, somewhat obvious) is that with fewer notes after the thumb, the thumb keeps returning more quickly. This imparts a slight impetuousness to the music, which can be quite interesting. I'm not suggesting we play all tremolo this way, just that it is interesting in itself.

Yes, Stephen enjoyed himself with this guitar I think - he probably always does!

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Ramon, the hole in the headstock was for hanging? I thought it was a port hole :D
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:21 pm

Keith wrote:Ramon, the hole in the headstock was for hanging? I thought it was a port hole :D
Nah - Stephen is a traditionalist.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:16 pm

Very nice playing! Also, thanks for the method book, wonderful information and pieces! :merci:

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:47 pm

Cheers.

Return to “Public Space”