What is your favourite museum?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Erik Zurcher

What is your favourite museum?

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:09 pm

Please add your favourite museum in this thread.

A few weeks ago I visited the Yorkshire Sculpture Parc in Wakefield, UK and was overwhelmed: powerful (outdoor and indoor) sculptures and innovative art concepts, like an algorhithmic composition of music that will finish after 100 years. If you are ever near Wakefield, go and visit this parc. Free entree, you only pay a modest fee for the car parc.
http://www.ysp.co.uk/
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Jacek A. Rochacki

Re: What is your favourite museum?

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:47 pm

The Louisiana Museum of Modern Art in Denmark
https://en.louisiana.dk

Unfortunately it is not as widely known as it IMO deserves; beautiful architecture and great collection of modern art; I will never forget the mobiles by Alexander Calder. I was frequent visitor to this museum from 1969 up to end of '90.

Then let me reccomend the Danish Museum of Art and Design (formerly known as Danish Museum of Decorative Art - Kunstindustrimuseet).
http://designmuseum.dk/en
As curiosity about this museum situated in Copenhagen let me add, that it was famous also because of it's collection of tsubas - guards of Japanese swords, largest in Europe, as I was told.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:57 pm

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:...famous also because of it's collection of tsubas - guards of Japanese swords, largest in Europe, as I was told.
Even larger than the collection of tsubas at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London?
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:08 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:
Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:...famous also because of it's collection of tsubas - guards of Japanese swords, largest in Europe, as I was told.
Even larger than the collection of tsubas at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London?
This is a very good question, Erik; I should add and make clear (apologies that I did not do it in my first post) that I was often visiting this museum on the end of '60 and I remember one of curators telling me this very information. At that time I did not compare it to any other collection of tsubas; I was interested in tsubas as objects because I was gathering informations on Japanese metal art for inspiration of my own works that were representing Poland on EXPO in Osaka in 1970.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:20 pm

Which brings me to another favourite museum of mine: the V&A (Victoria and Albert Museum) in London. I have only seen the Japan collection so far and that took me a full day.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:38 pm

The V&A museum is great and great is it's history...specially for these who are interested in goldsmithing, metal art, etc. On the beginning it was "modest" museum of South Kensington and goldsmiths from the families of Castellani and Giuliano (they moved from Italy to England and are known as real master jewellers of that time) contributed to this museum by donating some of their objects; other of their objects they sold to this museum. Simple word: "their" has as we know now two meanings in this context, because the Castellani family beside goldsmithing were dealing with original jewellery from ancient time. Objects that they were making themselves were in this character - let us remember that these were times when so called "historical" jewellery or "inspired" - often copied - from genuine ancient objects were in fashion. This is longer and colourful story, if I remember well, some of the objects donated or sold by Castellani's to this museum as genuine, later were under questioning of their authenticity. My last contact with V&A was just a couple of years ago when proper authorities from this institution have kindly granted me with their permission to use two illustrations showing interior of XVIth century goldsmith workshop in my book on Treatise by Benvenuto Cellini.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:40 pm

Wiki defines a museum as follows: "A museum is an institution that cares for (conserves) a collection of artifacts and other objects of artistic, cultural, historical, or scientific importance..."
If a "convent" is an "institution", and "mummies" are objects of cultural and historical importance, then the most impressive "museum" I have seen in my trips around the wolrd are the Catacombe dei Cappuccini below the Convento dei Frati Cappuccini. It contains the largest collection of mummies in the world, exposed on the walls of barely illuminated catacombs. I have to admit that this scary concept of exposing corpses can be questioned. However, when you stand in the middle of these mummies, and many of them are still dressed in their original clothes, some hundred years old, and with some phantasy, you think you travelled in time and arrived in the 17th or 18th century.
21 classical guitars, soon 22 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:49 pm

Thank you, Andreas! You forgot to mention that the Catacombe dei Cappuccini are in Palermo, Sicily. Good choice!

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:54 pm

The National Gallery in London is pretty great. So is the Chicago Art Institute. But it's impossible to say which museum is my favorite. The Louvre and Pompidou are up there.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:56 pm

I read the definition in Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum
and I would like respectfully to say, that I miss there stress put on educational and scientific functions that I know from many museums. Some museums known to me have these functions written in their statutes/constitutions. Museums known by me are organising scientific seminars and materials after these seminars are later published in print. So here comes next function: publishing important for culture, art and history materials. Other seminars sometime combined with workshops (for example: for conservators of art) are often very important contribution to main lines of education in this or other fields, completing programs of universities etc. academic schools.

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:12 am

I haven't been to many, but the DeYoung, Legion Of Honor and MOMA in SanFrancisco. Great places.
Help!

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:28 am

The Prado in Madrid, and the MFA in Boston.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:31 am

For many years this hughlane.ie was my favorite. I haven't been there for decades. Lovely collection. Small size and a nice cafe. (wonder for its epoch). No idea if it is the same. At one point I went regularly if for nothing else but a quick walk around and coffee and cake afterwards.

Others that have stuck in mind for various reasons. The museum Greek/Roman museum in Siracusa Sicily. Neither my wife or I have any interest in coins yet we spent about more than an hour in a one small room there in absolute astonishment.

The Eqyptian museum in Turin. The collection here is unbelievably fabulous. They claim it is the biggest collection of Egyptian artifacts outside of Egypt. It is worth visiting Turin for just for the museum.

Marmottan/Monet near Paris.

I prefer smaller places. The really big ones need too much time and are exhausting. In the smaller ones the staff are often exceptional helpful and very proud of their little "community" - you generally need to know the local language to appreciate this.

vesa

Post by vesa » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:19 am

For a one day visit:
Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:
The Louisiana Museum of Modern Art in Denmark
:bravo:
Beautiful place too and easy to come to by train from Copenhagen.
For a one week ¨visit¨:
Louvre, British Museum
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

KenO
Amateur luthier

Post by KenO » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:35 am

Great thread. I hope it's okay for a newbie to chime in here, Mr. Zurcher. I am not a world traveler so my perspective is quite limited, but in the U.S. I loved visiting the Legion of Honor Museum in San Francisco and the J Paul Getty Museum in L.A. The various Smithsonian offerings in D.C. were all amazing. I've only visited a few here in Japan, but the Pola Museum of Art in Hakone is quite nice. I guess I'm not really narrowing it down to "my favorite" but it would be hard to pick one. If I had to pick one...hmmm, gosh, I just can't do it!
'06 Asturias Prelude S; '02 Yamaha CG101; '68 S. Nogami Concert Tenor; '67 Hashimoto No. 232

Return to “The Café”