A cedar/maple photo diary...

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
spanishguitarmusic

Re: A cedar/maple photo diary...

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:44 am

Jeremy Clark wrote:
spanishguitarmusic wrote:Wow, very beautiful guitar and wonderful pictures! Thank you for sharing your expertise with us by sharing these pictures of this so beautiful classical guitar! Thank you.

I appreciate it! Thanks for checking it out

You're welcome! :)

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Postby MessyTendon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:46 am

Nice heel...I mean, why did it take 100 years for people to realize that you can't make much use of the notes on the highest frets if there is a bunch of heel in the way.

I dig it. How do you adjust the angle of the neck?

Norbert

Postby Norbert » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:50 am

I love your aesthetics.

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:18 am

Doug Ingram wrote:
Jeremy Clark wrote:
It's funny you bringing up eastern white cedar...I just saw a couple boards of it at a lumber mill a little while back and thought it looked like something to look into. I'm glad to hear it worked out...I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open.

I pull out the good stuff while I mill white cedar for my canoe work. I've got some stuff right now, its not wide, only about 2 3/4" but all slip cut. Want to try some?

I'd love to!
52instruments.com
facebook.com/52instruments
instagram.com/52_instrument_co

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:41 am

MessyTendon wrote:Nice heel...I mean, why did it take 100 years for people to realize that you can't make much use of the notes on the highest frets if there is a bunch of heel in the way.

I dig it. How do you adjust the angle of the neck?

Thanks MessyTendon!

It does make a difference but "tradition" is as "tradition" does...

The neck adjustment is essentially a take on the old Stauffer system with a couple of little tweaks I learned during my apprenticeship. The entire heel width is morticed into the body and there is a round "pivot block" that the neck fits onto (you can see the semicircular recess in the heel shot). There is a "captive bolt" in the neck that threads into an insert in the mortice that pivots the neck and another bolt in the mortice (accessed through the heel) that locks it in place so it doesn't flop around when there isn't any string tension.Lately I've been reinforcing the access holes in the heel with rosewood bushings... I'm sure it would be fine without but I'm a bit weird like that.
52instruments.com

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:44 am

Norbert wrote:I love your aesthetics.

Thanks Norbert...I like to think I make unique beautiful tools. I'm glad it has it's appreciators!
52instruments.com

KenO
Amateur luthier

Postby KenO » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:35 pm

bacsidoan wrote:New bracing scheme! How does it compare to the triangular one?

Absolutely stunning! How does the hexagonal bracing sound? I guess the idea is that resonance travels from the bridge to the rest of the table in spherical waves - maximizing efficiency of resonance throughout the sound board?
'06 Asturias Prelude S; '02 Yamaha CG101; '68 S. Nogami Concert Tenor; '67 Hashimoto No. 232

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:45 am

KenO wrote:

Absolutely stunning! How does the hexagonal bracing sound? I guess the idea is that resonance travels from the bridge to the rest of the table in spherical waves - maximizing efficiency of resonance throughout the sound board?

Thanks KenO!

I'm exited with how my pattern is working and I am quite pleased with the voice of the guitars. Without getting into the vagaries of trying to describe sound, all I can really say with certainty is that it's moving how (I think) I want when I want. I'm seeing an improved monopole mobility and I'm hitting my target frequencies for specific movements. Certain things that were "tricky" or required "careful carving" seem to happen a lot more organically. From a stiffness to weight perspective the structure is incredibly efficient and once you get a handle on the order of operations it's beautifully simple to assemble. I see it as one more step towards that "sound in my head"... ask me again in another six months but so far that niggling voice in the back of my mind that says "it's good but there's something not quite right" has been oddly silent...
52instruments.com

KenO
Amateur luthier

Postby KenO » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:29 pm

Jeremy Clark wrote:... ask me again in another six months but so far that niggling voice in the back of my mind that says "it's good but there's something not quite right" has been oddly silent...

WOW! That's gotta be satisfying. Congratulations! I'll definitely ask again in 6-months (if my forgetful brain remembers!). Don't mean to encourage exposing any trade secrets, but it looks like your bridge plate under the table is at an angle. Is your bridge (love the design of the bridge, btw) also angled a bit? Thanks for sharing and responding!
'06 Asturias Prelude S; '02 Yamaha CG101; '68 S. Nogami Concert Tenor; '67 Hashimoto No. 232

bacsidoan

Postby bacsidoan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Jeremy Clark wrote:
KenO wrote:

Thanks KenO!

I'm exited with how my pattern is working and I am quite pleased with the voice of the guitars. Without getting into the vagaries of trying to describe sound, all I can really say with certainty is that it's moving how (I think) I want when I want. I'm seeing an improved monopole mobility and I'm hitting my target frequencies for specific movements. Certain things that were "tricky" or required "careful carving" seem to happen a lot more organically. From a stiffness to weight perspective the structure is incredibly efficient and once you get a handle on the order of operations it's beautifully simple to assemble. I see it as one more step towards that "sound in my head"... ask me again in another six months but so far that niggling voice in the back of my mind that says "it's good but there's something not quite right" has been oddly silent...

Now I'm a little miffed because you are telling me that the guitar you built for me is "good but there's something not quite right". C'est la vie. :wink:

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:20 pm

KenO wrote:
Jeremy Clark wrote:... ask me again in another six months but so far that niggling voice in the back of my mind that says "it's good but there's something not quite right" has been oddly silent...

WOW! That's gotta be satisfying. Congratulations! I'll definitely ask again in 6-months (if my forgetful brain remembers!). Don't mean to encourage exposing any trade secrets, but it looks like your bridge plate under the table is at an angle. Is your bridge (love the design of the bridge, btw) also angled a bit? Thanks for sharing and responding!

No problem...I don't really have any "secrets"...
Yes, the bridge plate and bridge are crooked...the guitar is multi-scale. Actually it's kind of funny...thinking about it I haven't built a standard scale length guitar in ages...
Last edited by Jeremy Clark on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52instruments.com

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:39 pm

bacsidoan wrote:Now I'm a little miffed because you are telling me that the guitar you built for me is "good but there's something not quite right". C'est la vie. :wink:

Maybe that was a poor choice of words...I haven't ever glued a top on a guitar I wasn't happy with...I just didn't know yet...
If only I could go back in time and leave a sketch of this pattern on my old self's bench...

You could always send me your guitar and I'll tear the top off and replace it? or maybe it's a sign...you don't have a satinwood guitar in your stable yet right?
52instruments.com

bacsidoan

Postby bacsidoan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:00 pm

Jeremy Clark wrote:
bacsidoan wrote:Now I'm a little miffed because you are telling me that the guitar you built for me is "good but there's something not quite right". C'est la vie. :wink:

Maybe that was a poor choice of words...I haven't ever glued a top on a guitar I wasn't happy with...I just didn't know yet...
If only I could go back in time and leave a sketch of this pattern on my old self's bench...

You could always send me your guitar and I'll tear the top off and replace it? or maybe it's a sign...you don't have a satinwood guitar in your stable yet right?

Jeremy,

I was kidding. I'm quite happy with the guitar. Who knows, someday, when you will have found the ultimate combination of bracing scheme and top thicknessing for the soundboard, let me know and I'll be happy to obtain one, assuming that I'm still alive by then. :)

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:24 pm

bacsidoan wrote:when you will have found the ultimate combination of bracing scheme and top thicknessing for the soundboard, let me know and I'll be happy to obtain one, assuming that I'm still alive by then.

...at this point I think I'd be lucky to build something I'm perfectly happy with at some point in my lifetime...damnable moving targets and evolving ideas. I guess I'll just have to keeping working for "better than the last one"...
52instruments.com

Return to “Luthiers”