Huge mistake!

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
tubeman

Huge mistake!

Post by tubeman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:35 pm

Two years ago, I decided to quit the guitar for good and learn the piano. After about a year of fairly decent progress, I decided to donate all of my guitar scores (around 200-250) to a music conservatory's guitar department. Well, about two weeks ago, I started missing the guitar, so I am now having to go through the painful, and frequently expensive process of replacing my favorite pieces, many of which are now out of print or just obscenely expensive! (I'm just grateful that no one bought my beloved Angella guitar when I had it for sale on this forum!!)

Learn from my mistake: Think carefully and don't make rash decisions!
Last edited by tubeman on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Byers 2016 cedar/Ind
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br

Guido

Re: Huge mistake!

Post by Guido » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:18 pm

Deciding to quit the guitar for good sounds like something that's impossible. Don't know for how long you've played and how old you are, but even though someone might enjoy playing less and take a year off, one should indeed be very careful with the decision to quit, because one might surprise theirselves and change their mind, as you did. I had the experience of slightly losing interest in the guitar and therefore trying a different instrument, only to fall back in love with the guitar 6 months later and playing more than ever before. Such a shame you have to collect your scores again now, but great news you've returned to the guitar :)
Last edited by Guido on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dory

Post by dory » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Would the SF conservatory let you borrow the scores temporarily so you could photocopy them? I think there is s fairly wide latitude for "personal use" and in any case your copies would be ethical in my mind since you originally paid for them. I agree that it is a bad idea to make rash decisions about the guitar. The guitar is such a difficult instrument that it is easy to get frustrated, try something that might seem easier and then start to miss the guitar badly.
Dory

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:57 pm

I've played guitar for about 45 years, 35 classical.

I thought about that. I contacted one of the instructors to see about getting one of them back, Domeniconi's Chaconne, but he said it would not be possible. I have since found that score and ordered it from Germany (Don't know why it's so hard to find these days!). I have found a few in PDF online, fortunately. I'll be kicking myself for a long time!
Last edited by tubeman on Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:06 pm

tubeman wrote:Two years ago, I decided to quit the guitar for good and learn the piano. After about a year of fairly decent progress, I decided to donate all of my guitar scores (around 200-250) to a music conservatory's guitar department. Well, about two weeks ago, I started missing the guitar, so I am now having to go through the painful, and frequently expensive process of replacing my favorite pieces, many of which are now out of print or just obscenely expensive! (I'm just grateful that no one bought my beloved Angella guitar when I had it for sale on this forum!!)

Learn from my mistake: Think carefully and don't make rash decisions!
I'm glad that you've finally come to your senses :) Take the Angella out and play your Toccata :wink:

rikart

Post by rikart » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:20 pm

All may not be lost.

There are several Do's and Don'ts as regards US Copyright Law. Have a look at the RPMDA (Retail Print Music Dealer's Association) website. There are two clauses there that are interesting to note.
Under the heading, What You Must Not Do, the first item states that "Copying to avoid purchase" is expressly prohibited. Well, if you brought a manuscript into the SF Music Library and wrote out one of your old scores in your own fair hand, or if you borrowed it and photocopied it at home, you would be not be avoiding purchase. You (presumably) previously bought that score. It's simply not in your keep. You had donated it to the Library.
Under the heading What You Can Do it states that "Emergency copying to replace purchased copies which for any reason are not available for an imminent performance provided purchased replacement copies shall be substituted in due course". Well, this is an emergency, is it not? The original purchased copy is currently unavailable your Honor, but I hereby swear that I did purchase the score, and furthermore, Judge, I can produce the said copy, once I have renewed my Library Subscription. Sheriff, take him down .....

http://printmusic.org/copyright-info/
rikart /warwick harte

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:42 pm

I can imagine that copious photocopying would raise an eyebrow or two at their library! Thanks for the info, though.
Last edited by tubeman on Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br

robert e

Post by robert e » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:21 am

Sometimes you have to give something up to learn what it means to you. Perhaps it wasn't a mistake at all.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:57 am

:merci: for this post! I understand your point exactly! This actually has happened to me as well. I started to lose interest in the guitar around late 2006 early 2007 and coming from an Italian background where we always have an accordion in the house and since I was living away for a number of years, I started thinking of giving up the classical guitar and decided purchase two different types of accordions, a piano accordion and a button diatonic one. I started playing and learning accordion and getting heavy into it and it's music. I really did enjoy it. Although, I still had my classical guitar and every time I would open it's case, I really started to miss it a lot. So, for at least two years now, I stopped playing the accordion and have gotten back into classical guitar and I haven't looked back since! I still have the other instruments though. I try not to play the accordion anymore as I don't want to risk starting up with it again and neglecting the guitar. Great post though! Thanks. :) :bye:

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:34 am

I hope you are able to re-build your music collection. Best wishes!
Last edited by Lovemyguitar on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Gover

Post by Mike Gover » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:28 am

Perhaps you could sell the piano and buy CG scores?

Mike Gover

Post by Mike Gover » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:28 am

Perhaps you could sell the piano and buy CG scores?

eno

Post by eno » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:32 am

tubeman wrote:I've played guitar for about 45 years, 35 classical.
Over mine 50yrs classical I can't tell you how many times I thought I would never play CG again and how many times I stopped for a few months or even a few years and even thought about selling my guitars only to find myself starting playing again every day :D One thing I learnt from this experience is to never sell my good guitars but just let them rest.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Rokutaru Nakade 1967
Takamine C136S and C128S
Yamaha SLG200S silent

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:51 am

Mike Gover wrote:Perhaps you could sell the piano and buy CG scores?
I still want to play the piano. Most transcriptions of keyboard music just sound and work better on a keyboard instrument in my opinion. In fact, that's what inspired me to learn the piano. I was trying to play some extremely difficult Bach transcriptions, particularly the 2nd and 6th keyboard Partitas, when I decided they would actually be easier to learn on the piano (some day...) and would certainly sound better and be more faithful to the original music.
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br

tcee

Post by tcee » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:10 am

I understand your frustration. On the other hand, having to start all over again can feel very good. I sold all my books and records twice because I don't like to have too much stuff. Of course I missed some of my favorites. But I also knew that someone else now had the fun to listen to and read them and I had the excitement of building a new collection.

Return to “Public Space”