2017 Charlottesville Classical Guitar Festival and Competition

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Jack Douglas

2017 Charlottesville Classical Guitar Festival and Competition

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:07 pm

It was a wonderful Saturday, September 9, 2017, of classical guitar yesterday in Charlottesville, VA. Thanks to Rafael Scarfullery and the financial supporters for putting the event together. The morning lectures were interesting and informative. In the afternoon a group of talented young players played beautifully and three talented young women won the top prizes.
A personal favorite professional player, Candice Mowbray, played with sensitivity and delicacy that included pieces from her recent CD, Reverie, Rafael Scarfullery performed a selection of lovely waltzes, the guitar orchestra played the much loved, Pachabel's 'Cannon in D'. The final concert by Matt Palmer was quite simply dazzling. His growing international reputation is well deserved. Wow, just wow! And what a nice guy!
In addition to the beautiful classical guitar playing I had a chance to visit with my friend David Lewis Edwards, President of the Charlottesville Classical Guitar Society and meet a number of fellow enthusiastic hobbyist guitarists.
One particularly special moment was a short interaction with the father of one of the young women that won one of the three awards. He was beaming!
What a day!
Last edited by Jack Douglas on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hauser III 2014!

CathyCate

Re: 2018 Charlottesville Classical Guitar Festival and Competition

Post by CathyCate » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:49 pm

:cafe: Thanks for posting, Jack. CG is in good hands!
Unless you are into time travel, I think you might mean September 9, 2017?
I'm only on my second cup of coffee, so I am hard pressed to know what day it is...let alone what year.

Jack Douglas

Re: 2018 Charlottesville Classical Guitar Festival and Competition

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:01 pm

CathyCate wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:49 pm
:cafe: Thanks for posting, Jack. CG is in good hands!
Unless you are into time travel, I think you might mean September 9, 2017?
I'm only on my second cup of coffee, so I am hard pressed to know what day it is...let alone what year.
Hi Cathy,
Thank you. I copied it right off the program that had September 29, 2018 as the date. I changed the date to the 9th and mindlessly wrote in 2018.
Thanks for catching the mistake.
It was a great present day experience!!
Best,
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Tom

Re: 2017 Charlottesville Classical Guitar Festival and Competition

Post by Tom » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:55 pm

I used to be a frequent traveller to C'ville. I remember one luthier I met at his home and we spent a good few hours together before he sent me off to the airport for my departure. I still remember he let me tried a Christopher Dean at his house.

Can't remember his name... Time just fly...

rkguitar16

Post by rkguitar16 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:33 am

Jack, it was good o meet you there. It was a wonderful day and I am grateful to all who made it happen.

Rick

ChristianK

Post by ChristianK » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:02 pm

Jack,

Sounds like a wonderful time. I wish i had known about it, would have loved to see Matt play live. My son is at UVA and i could have pretended i was coming to visit him 😉. Maybe next time.

Christian

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:43 am

Tom wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:55 pm
I used to be a frequent traveller to C'ville. I remember one luthier I met at his home and we spent a good few hours together before he sent me off to the airport for my departure. I still remember he let me tried a Christopher Dean at his house.

That was David Edwards!
Hauser III 2014!

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:37 pm

Tom wrote:

Hi Tom,

That Christopher Dean ended up with me. It was a lovely guitar. I took it with me on a trip to South Carolina and a good friend there, University instructor in the upstate, fell in love with it and it's now in his possession. He plays it beautifully and is happy as a lark.

On another note, It's sort of funny that you remember the name of the guitar, but not the Charlottesville Luthier, David Edwards. Sounds a lot like me.

Best,
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:40 pm

ChristianK wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:02 pm
Jack,

Sounds like a wonderful time. I wish i had known about it, would have loved to see Matt play live. My son is at UVA and i could have pretended i was coming to visit him 😉. Maybe next time.

Christian
Sorry you missed it. Candice Mowbray and Matt Palmer were wonderful as were the student players. Rafael Scarfullery, the host, played some beautiful waltzes.
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:08 am

Jack Douglas wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:37 pm
Tom wrote:

Hi Tom,

That Christopher Dean ended up with me. It was a lovely guitar. I took it with me on a trip to South Carolina and a good friend there, University instructor in the upstate, fell in love with it and it's now in his possession. He plays it beautifully and is happy as a lark.

On another note, It's sort of funny that you remember the name of the guitar, but not the Charlottesville Luthier, David Edwards. Sounds a lot like me.

Best,
Jack
Thank you Jack...what a small world!

Do you know how's David now? Is he still active making guitar?

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:35 pm

Tom wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:08 am
Jack Douglas wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:37 pm
Tom wrote:

Hi Tom,

Best,
Jack
Thank you Jack...what a small world!

Do you know how's David now? Is he still active making guitar?
David is doing very well. He was at the concert and sat with me during the morning lectures.

He's focused now mainly on Lacotte style guitars.

Best,
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Return to “Public Space”