Adding a front strap button on an archtop ??

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
MarkInLA

Adding a front strap button on an archtop ??

Post by MarkInLA » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:51 am

Hi. I own a Gretsch New Yorker which came with only a button in the back through the tailpiece end. I need one up front and wish it to be on the front bout not into the heel anywhere. Can I just buy one, tap a pilot hole somewhere above, but close to the heel, and just screw it in ? Or, is a block of wood needed glued on the inside the bout (Bought ?) to allow more threads of button-screw to grab ? I did have the end of the strap tied at the nut alla Barney Kessel or like many folk musicians do. But I found out that the strings/notes go sharp when any downward pull on the neck occur (with tuner turned on). So I quit that and need a front strap button. Also I want to avoid putting it into the bottom as you then have that twist thing happening to the strap. Any dibbs ?.. Mark :wink:

Gorn

Re: Adding a front strap button on an archtop ??

Post by Gorn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:36 pm

I'm not a luthier but I do not understand, why the strap should twist, when applying a button to the bottom of the headstock, like most archtop and semi-acoustic guitars, Gibson SG and lots more. I play a Framus Mayfield Custom, which is a ES-335-ish guitar type even with straplocks and I have never felt uncomfortable or noticed a twisted strap. Of course, you have to put the button of the back to the "inside" and the front button to the "outside" of your strap.
Last edited by Gorn on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:47 pm

Stew-mac---where is the best spot for your strap button?
http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Re ... utton.html

Or google archtop strap buttons, lots of info.

For off center placement you need to check inside because some
guitars have a wider interior block than others

Also, installation tips on U tube.

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:39 am

Thanks for quick replies/advice..Is everyone against screwing it into the side itself, above the heel, so it's parallel with rear button ? Is it because my guess was right/the siding wood is too thin and thus requires a wood block added to the inside (as if that's a cake walk !) ?? M

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:26 pm

I did precisely this on an acoustic guitar recently. I use the Gore method of bolted mortice and tenon neck attachment so was worried about hitting the bar that runs vertically through the heel. I wanted to attach it to the side, above the heel as in the playing position so glued a small block in the inside angle between the neck block and the side, as per Dan Erlewine's suggestion. It worked fine.

However this was through the soundhole. Do you have one on your archtop? Is it an F hole?
Dave

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:46 am

Thanks again for the replies. Dave, no soundhole. It's an archtop with F holes... I will check out the Gore method you cite..Thanks, M

Return to “Luthiers”