Advice on Torres style guitar under $5,000

John Ray
Luthier

Re: Advice on Torres style guitar under $5,000

Post by John Ray » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:41 am

Hi Spottie,
I would like to encourage you to heed your own experience as well as the bassist’s parents. If you are convinced that she is committed to the guitar that is. They are not easy things to sell. Also be sure to take your well-trained ears and someone who knows guitars. The only reason to wait is because your daughter might not be experienced enough to know what she needs or wants. All 5000 dollar guitars are not created equal.

I would add that no guitar-seller is unhappy to see a great student come to try guitars with 5000 in the bank even if they don’t buy. The time they take with that client is factored into their margin and it is an investment in their future when she goes back to buy another guitar; an investment in advertising when you praise their treatment of you here on the forum. They might lose money with you now but you are very important to their business. If those with your profile are not welcome to take up a few horurs of their time, who is?
John Ray
blog Great guitars of the past
facebook John Ray guitars

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:07 pm

You've got to go try them out, with a budget of over 2,000$ you can find handbuilt custom guitars it just takes time. They are out there.

Heck or buy a Kohno if you can find one, they are out there and in the 3,000 range.

cgratham

Post by cgratham » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:26 am

John Ray wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:41 am
Hi Spottie,
I would like to encourage you to heed your own experience as well as the bassist’s parents.
Hi John,
I'm the bassist's father that you are referring to in this post.

I sent you an email a few weeks ago about your Torres guitar, but didn't get a reply. Perhaps it got caught by your spam filter? I noticed that I can't send you private message through these forums either. If you read this could you please send me a note at cgratham at gmail . com - and I'll send you my original note.

Thanks, Chris

John Ray
Luthier

Post by John Ray » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks Chris, yes, it must have been the spam filter. It doesn't happen very often but when it does it is frustrating. Sorry.
John Ray
blog Great guitars of the past
facebook John Ray guitars

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:20 am

When my daughter transitioned from her 3/4 size to a full size, it took me about 6 months to find the right guitar. She didn't know how to pick a guitar, but the small guitar was holding her back. She said she really liked my guitar, which was a Ramirez 4NE. And she did play better on the full size instrument. But we are poor, hence the reason Dad is playing on an Estudio guitar.

Well, after about a half a year of shopping later, I found a Ramirez 2NE for 900 dollars used, in excellent shape, and with no discernable fret wear. I played it for about a week at my favorite local shop and decided to buy it for her. I had it set up through the shop as it was included in the price, and she now plays this guitar and loves it.. She has only been playing about two years. I think this guitar should get her through intermediate level.

One needs to take into account how much money needs to be spent, not what you are capable of spending. Even if I had more money to spend, doesn't mean I would have spent it anyway on her instrument, because it just wasn't necessary.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”