Which is the more versatile top for classical, brazilian, bossa nova, and jazz?

Beowulf

Re: Which is the more versatile top for classical, brazilian, bossa nova, and jazz?

Post by Beowulf » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:26 pm

ghostwind wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:44 pm
Well I went and played some more, and did come across a Cordoba Solista in Cedar. I would say it was definitely a better sounding and more refined instrument than the C10, as it should be at the higher cost. I was close to getting that, but then I got tempted to try a used Yamaha GC42 Spruce, someone had just traded in - a year old only. Perfect condition, played it, drooled, forgot the meaning of money, the wife waiting at home for an explanation, etc. and bought it! All I can say is WOW! This should last me quite a while, and the sound is amazing. Lucky for me, there were no higher end instruments, or who knows what deeper hole I might have dug myself into :)
:bravo: Now get to playin' and...
Keep On Truckin' Crumb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

edcat7

Re: Which is the more versatile top for classical, brazilian, bossa nova, and jazz?

Post by edcat7 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:18 am

es335 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:58 pm
edcat7 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:37 pm
Baden Powell played a Di Giorgio Author 3 for fifteen years and then had a high end Yamaha...
According to Brasil-on-Guitar there were 15 years of interlude on Dieter Hopf guitars, mainly the Virtuoso model, before he switched to his high end Yamaha from Akio Naniki. Past 1993 he used a Dieter Hopf Artista model in parallel which led Dieter Hopf to issue a special edition "Artista Lembracas BP" model in memory of the 10th anniversary of Baden Powell's death. :wink:
I had no idea Powell played with Dieter Hopf guitars but I'm sure he played a Di Giorgio Author 3. From the same website, it shows which guitar he used for which piece of music. He can also be seen playing an Author 3 on various YT clips.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

es335

Post by es335 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:57 am

edcat7 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:18 am
I had no idea Powell played with Dieter Hopf guitars but I'm sure he played a Di Giorgio Author 3. From the same website, it shows which guitar he used for which piece of music. He can also be seen playing an Author 3 on various YT clips.
Here is the source for the information about the guitars he used during his career including string sets! :wink: :D

There was a quite strong link between Baden and Hopf particularly as he lived in Germany for some years ... BTW in Baden-Baden where else! :D

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:00 am

es335 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:57 am
edcat7 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:18 am
Here is the source for the information about the guitars he used during his career including string sets! :wink: :D

There was a quite strong link between Baden and Hopf particularly as he lived in Germany for some years ... BTW in Baden-Baden where else! :D
Well, we're both right. :merci:
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

bear

Post by bear » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:27 am

ghostwind wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:19 pm
I've read through the various spruce vs. cedar threads, and thought I'd ask (perhaps) a simpler and more direct question. I played classical 20 years ago, when I was a kid, and I don't even remember what the guitar top was :) I played for 2 years, and then went to piano. Now, a few decades later, I have the itch to get back to guitar, but learn and play not just classical, but Brazilian, bossa nova, and some jazz. So looking to get a guitar, probably a Cordoba C10 or Solista, but not sure which one would be more versatile or lend itself better to the different types of music I listed. Spruce or cedar? I can't find anything, other than spruce is more clear and cedar more warm - that sort of thing. Of course I will try before buying, but my repertoire is about 0 outside of classical (and even there only what I remember), so am asking here. Just want the most versatile to start off with. In 2 years or so, I will know myself and probably get a custom/luthier made guitar. But for now, curious to hear what others advise.
Look at Charlie Bird. I think he played a Kohno- cedar
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”