Dr Junger strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
sunny71c

Dr Junger strings

Post by sunny71c » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:07 pm

Anyone knows where I can buy Dr Junger strings in the US?
I used to use one website, but they don’t carry them anymore.
Thanks! :)

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Re: Dr Junger strings

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:15 pm

I think the Brand does not exist anymore. This was a brand of pyramid strings, a family member of the pyramid family did run the label. Even on german sites like saitenkatalog you can't find them anymore.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:44 pm

Strings by Mail lists them on its website.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

es335

Post by es335 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Their website is still operational. The strings are manufactured in the Pyramid factory but are different from their portfolio. BTW other online shops do offer them in Germany. Though the biggest vendor in Germany, Saitenkatalog resp. Schneidermusik does not neccessarily offer all brands. Dr. Junger is one, Knobloch is another as Ramirez etc.! :wink:

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:28 pm

es335 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:01 pm
Their website is still operational. The strings are manufactured in the Pyramid factory but are different from their portfolio. BTW other online shops do offer them in Germany. Though the biggest vendor in Germany, Saitenkatalog resp. Schneidermusik does not neccessarily offer all brands. Dr. Junger is one, Knobloch is another as Ramirez etc.! :wink:
Ok, I had the wrong impression. But they are rather expensive, a set of Mysterion costs nearly 50 euros on their site. Knobloch was another Pyramid brand, as far as I know, but now they apear as beeing made in spain?

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:39 pm

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:28 pm
Knobloch was another Pyramid brand, as far as I know, but now they apear as beeing made in spain?
I doubt Jiri Knobloch had anything to do with Pyramid. The current French owner (based in Girona) of Knobloch has nothing to do with Pyramid as far as I know. Most importantly, all the Knobloch strings were and are different from the Pyramids.
Last edited by ben etow on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:24 am

ben etow wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:39 pm

I doubt Jiri Knobloch had anything to do with Pyramid. The current French owner (based in Girona) of Knobloch has nothing to do with Pyramid as far as I know. Most importantly, all the Knoblochstrings were and are different from the Pyramids.
Obviously I have several wrong impressions, just too many strings around.... :shock:

sunny71c

Post by sunny71c » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:07 am

Thanks everyone.

Yes, I purchased my first set at Stringbymail and I loved it so much. But, they don't carry anymore. I contacted the original manufacturer. But the process is slow and the shipping cost is just too much for a couple of sets :(

I may want to try when I visit Germany next time :)

es335

Post by es335 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:57 am

es335 wrote:
Ok, I had the wrong impression. But they are rather expensive, a set of Mysterion costs nearly 50 euros on their site. Knobloch was another Pyramid brand, as far as I know, but now they apear as beeing made in spain?
Apologies for the confusion this may have caused but the listing „Dr. Junger, Knobloch, Ramirez“ were just a few examples of brands which are not available from Saitenkatalog/Schneidermusik!

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:00 pm

es335 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:57 am
es335 wrote:
Apologies for the confusion this may have caused but the listing „Dr. Junger, Knobloch, Ramirez“ were just a few examples of brands which are not available from Saitenkatalog/Schneidermusik!
they are not anymore but they were once (and Knobloch still is as far as I know). Looks like they want to push their own Optima brand to me... When the brands still are available, they are likely to be more expensive than before...

es335

Post by es335 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:45 am

ben etow wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:00 pm
they are not anymore but they were once (and Knobloch still is as far as I know). Looks like they want to push their own Optima brand to me... When the brands still are available, they are likely to be more expensive than before...
Perfectly true. There was even a period when Schneidermusik was considered the new brand owner of Knobloch strings. Not sure how much truth was in that but at the end they must have decided to take over the Optima brand, which is at least more obvious due to the local proximity. :wink:

mando48

Post by mando48 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:46 pm

Looks like i wont be getting any Junger!

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:41 am

mando48 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:46 pm
I am not getting any younger either.... :lol:

es335

Post by es335 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:43 am

mando48 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:46 pm
There is a German online shop offering Dr. Junger strings which you will find googling „classical strings“. Don’t be put off by the old fashioned appearance of the web shop. The performance in prices, reliability and delivery performance is second to none and particularly much better than the Dr. Junger webshop. Ordering is simply done via email and the reply offer will include shipment fees to where you are located. Good luck! :D :wink:

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”