Picado 53/54, Hanika 52af/54pf, Esteve 7sr/8, Yamaha gc32

djqsrv

Picado 53/54, Hanika 52af/54pf, Esteve 7sr/8, Yamaha gc32

Post by djqsrv » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:17 pm

Hey guys

After my last thread on Cordoba C10 , kremona romida and Yamaha gc22 I was just about to order a new guitar from a luthier. But I talked myself down from that. I need to progress as a player a bit further before I do that. When I order I want to know exactly what I want and I just don’t yet.
So I am upping my budget and am now considering the following guitars. Can I get everyone’s opinions on these or any others you might think would be a good fit. I am thinking spruce for the top as I tend to like them better then cedar tops. Not always but most often. I don’t like tubby and muddy sounding guitars. Here is the list and my initial impressions from online sound samples.

Picado 53 or 54.
Very warm sounding guitars. The samples I could find did sound a little bass heavy but most of those were cedar. The spruce was tighter but still had the warmth. These are now high on my list.

Hanika 52af or 54pf.
I absolutely love the modern look of the hanikas. From the sound samples these seem to have a nice tight very bell like sound to them. Not as warm as the Picado’s but still sweet in a different way. The maple back and sides just blow me away. If I was to order right now the 52af would probably be what I went for. The only thing stopping me is the Hanika web sight says it’s a quieter guitar. I can’t tell that from sound samples.

Esteve Model 7sr or 8
On paper these should be the winner. Especially the model 8. It seems like an Incredible amount of guitar for the price. I can’t find many sound samples but of the ones I can find they seem very warm. Like the picados maybe a little bass heavy but the spruce versions seem to tame that a bit. I am very interested in the model 8 but also the most worried about it being on the muddy and boomy side for me. Any thoughts on these would be very welcome.

Yamaha gc32
I love the way these sound from what I can find online. The cedar sounds better to me then the spruce from what I could find to listen to. The spruce was very lacking in the bass but the trebles were very bell like. The cedar seemed very balanced with nice separation. One recurring thing I read about these is that they are on the quiet side. I’m not sure I like that. These are not as high on my list but I think I would be foolish not to consider them.

So please I would love to hear all opinions. I can find all of them from stores with good return policies so that does not look to be a problem.
Thanks in advance.

Big bird

Re: Picado 53/54, Hanika 52af/54pf, Esteve 7sr/8, Yamaha gc32

Post by Big bird » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:59 pm

I have an Esteve 8 in Cedar. I'll skip all the fluff about how it sounds. It is made beautifully. It looks beautiful as well. It is very light. I also have a 7sr which I like a lot but the 8 to me is a step up In playability and sound.. I will say that your muddy remark is on point to an extent. I experienced a bit of that. Wasn't sure why but I went to the higher tension strings and that took care of it. I am happy with my 8, it is a fine guitar.
2017 Yamaha SLG200NW

djqsrv

Post by djqsrv » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:20 pm

Big bird wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:59 pm
I have an Esteve 8 in Cedar. I'll skip all the fluff about how it sounds. It is made beautifully. It looks beautiful as well. It is very light. I also have a 7sr which I like a lot but the 8 to me is a step up In playability and sound.. I will say that your muddy remark is on point to an extent. I experienced a bit of that. Wasn't sure why but I went to the higher tension strings and that took care of it. I am happy with my 8, it is a fine guitar.
Hey big bird
So your 8 is cedar and the 7sr is spruce?
I know the 8 is better built with better woods but an 8 spruce will prob sound more like your 7sr I would think. How does that guitar sound? Is it allot brighter then the cedar? By any chance do you have any audio of either?
Thanks

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:30 pm

djqsrv wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:17 pm
Yamaha gc32
I love the way these sound from what I can find online. The cedar sounds better to me then the spruce from what I could find to listen to. The spruce was very lacking in the bass but the trebles were very bell like. The cedar seemed very balanced with nice separation. One recurring thing I read about these is that they are on the quiet side. I’m not sure I like that. These are not as high on my list but I think I would be foolish not to consider them.
The Yamaha GC32 I tried was not a quiet guitar if you ask me. Volume wise it could easily hold its own against the ones you mentioned. Knowing that you are a looking for a guitar with good separation, once again I'd choose the GC32 over the ones you listed. I'm not saying this because I have a personal bias toward Yamaha guitars, but I believe it would really suit your preferences. I've played a Picado 60 and would personally choose the GC32
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Big bird

Post by Big bird » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:53 pm

djqsrv wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:20 pm
Big bird wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:59 pm
Hey big bird
So your 8 is cedar and the 7sr is spruce?
I know the 8 is better built with better woods but an 8 spruce will prob sound more like your 7sr I would think. How does that guitar sound? Is it allot brighter then the cedar? By any chance do you have any audio of either?
Thanks
I do not have a recording or means to create one, sorry.

If I may make a suggestion, contact the Classical Guitar Store in Philly. A while back I was looking again (gas) and Bill sent me 3 sound samples he made of the guitars I was looking at. It was very helpfull in doing the comparison. Bill created the samples using the same equipment on the same day. Give him a holler and see if he can help. They are a great place to deal with if you are buying online.

I do think the guitars you are looking at, are all fine and well made guitars. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Good luck and let us know what you decide on. Remember, no pictures, never happened :D

As far as cedar vs spruce.... they sound different and the cedar is maybe a bit softer around the edges... or I am imagining it, which is the more likely explanation. Be careful putting too much stock in internet demos of guitars... way to many variables to know if that is the true sound or not.
2017 Yamaha SLG200NW

djqsrv

Post by djqsrv » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:09 pm

If I go with the Picado, Hanika or Esteve i will be purchasing from the classical guitar store in Philly. I do plan on asking for sound samples but I didn’t want to bother them quite yet as it takes me a long time to make a decision like this. I’m still in the gather as much info as I can from others mode right now. :)

Can anyone talk about the hanika’s? The sound samples I have heard sound wonderful across the whole range. Siccas guitars has lots of videos with hanikas.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:57 pm

The Hanika's are supposed to be excellent guitars and I believe they come with a lifetime warranty. I recently bought an Amalio Burguet 1A from Dulcet Guitars and I was down to the Burguet 1A and a Hanika 58CF. The Burguet won but the Hanika was a close 2nd. I think you'll do well with it.
Last edited by ameriken on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

djqsrv

Post by djqsrv » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:10 am

ameriken wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:57 pm
I believe the Hanika's are supposed to be excellent guitars. I recently bought an Amalio Burguet 1A from Dulcet Guitars and I was down to the Burguet 1A and a Hanika 58CF. The Burguet won but the Hanika was a close 2nd. I think you'll do well with it.
Hey Ameriken

Can you elaborate a little on the Hanika. How did it feel? Neck shape etc. how much saddle was proud of the bridge for future adjustments? What was your overall thought on the craftsmanship and finish work?

Right now the Hanikas are my top choice followed by the Yamaha. As much as I want a “Spanish” guitar is pulling me I don’t think it’s what I am really looking for. A bunch of the samples on YouTube of esteves kind of have that boomy bass. The picados kind of have it Also but seems to a lesser degree.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:17 am

I couldn't find any in the Denver area, so I unfortunately was unable to play either and was shopping blind. So I was having to do the same online long distance shopping and internet research and youtubes. I spent hours researching many and bought based on the 7 day trial. If I didn't like the Burguet and ended up sending it back, I would have gone for the Hanika.

I specifically wanted a more Spanish sound which is why I went with the Burguet.
Last edited by ameriken on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

djqsrv

Post by djqsrv » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:25 am

I just went back and listened to the Esteve 8 in spruce. It is Not boomy or muddy. It has a very sweet warm tone. Not as crystal as the Hanika but kind of somewhere between the Hanika and a cedar Esteve or Picado. This is going to be a tough decision.

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:35 am

djqsrv wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:25 am
I just went back and listened to the Esteve 8 in spruce. It is Not boomy or muddy. It has a very sweet warm tone. Not as crystal as the Hanika but kind of somewhere between the Hanika and a cedar Esteve or Picado. This is going to be a tough decision.
Just a bit of a warning, as i have 3 picados and had other 2 more (4 spruce,1 cedar), the spruce sound changes a lot on them (they became rounder after several months of playing).This is more noticeable in their higher range (62/concierto) as they tend to use old spruce (quite dry and stiff)

BTW I have a 45 in cedar laminated back but solid sides(normally is laminated sides they run out of laminated sides at that point of the time), even that guitar being their lowest model it puts to tears big factory guitars 3/4 times more expensive (my old raimundo 148C sounded like a joke compared to this one...)

PS the best part of the story is that all the 3 Picado guitars I kept are 630mm scale and still they sound way better than the 148C and other 650mm guitars I had... playing way easier :lol: )

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”