Ambra strings by Aquila

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
petermc61

Re: Ambra strings by Aquila

Post by petermc61 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:23 am

Hi Contreras

Happy New Year to you too! We will have to catch up again soon.

As far as I know only the Seta basses have real silk as the former. I think all the Ambra use nylgut or supernylgut as the former.

The Ambra trebles you are trying should be the same as the trebles in the Alabastro series. I very much like their feel and sound.

If you wish I have a spare set of Seta somewhere that you can have. The first set I tried had imperfect intonation and this is something I am just hard wired to hate with a passion. Five cents error and it drives me mad. You may well be more normal and accommodating than me so if you like the Seta basses just let me know and you can have my spare set.

Peter

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:21 am

As far as I know the Seta are the silk wound but with nylgut trebles, not the pure gut trebles found in Aquila's silk and gut set. So if you want a cheaper silk and pure gut set then buy the Seta for the silk wound and buy the pure gut elsewhere, like bow brand. Probably works out at half the price, maybe less.
Historicalguitars.

-Z-

Post by -Z- » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:01 pm

Contreras wrote:Meanwhile, the Aquila set have supernylgut trebles and silver-plated copper wound on real silk - I'm not sure how these are distinguished from Aquila Ambra - the descriptions seem the same.
The Aquila seta bass strings have real silk on them, while Ambra 800/900 are not clear pointed out as genuine silk, they might not be real silk giving the fact they instructions doesn't ask for detuning them while not playing. As for the Ambra 2000 it's silvered copper wires wound on Nylgut multifilament core instead of silk. What that implies in terms of tone I have no idea since I haven't tried them yet.
Contreras wrote:Tuning to A435 is not ideal, and de-tuning the basses a minor quibble ... the price we pay for our ART
Well, have you tried some pieces you haven't previously known in 440hz to see if you like it? Some times I play in 432hz ( not 435) for fun cuz a friend of mine told me to try it out, depending on what I play I like it better on 432 :casque:

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:22 am

As postscript to what I wrote above, last night I forgot to slacken the bass strings ... this morning, no D string :nerveux:
I guess they were right ... the instructions, that is !
You live and learn
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:39 am

You are welcome to my Seta set anytime now!!

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:02 am

Thanks Peter - I had another set, so no mad rush. Would be good to catch up at some point. Still no alert from John W.

Another question : We have nylgut, and we have supernylgut - any difference?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:10 am

Contreras wrote:Thanks Peter - I had another set, so no mad rush. Would be good to catch up at some point. Still no alert from John W.

Another question : We have nylgut, and we have supernylgut - any difference?
I have gathered that supernylgut is a later version of nylgut, but I can't confirm that. The official information is a bit opaque in that regard.

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:23 am

Hi guys,
Supernylgut us the last version
the difference: the colour is not white but a bit more translucient.
The stretching ratio was increases. This permit a fster intonation and that the strings are more even
The bad thing: it is a bit dificoult to produce the best vibrato. In any case it is still better than the carbon & nylon vibrato
take care :)
Mimmo

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:19 am

Thanks for that clarification Mimmo - much appreciated.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:53 am

Post postscript ... woke up to another 'separated' Seta D string this morning ... and it was slacked off. Disconcerting ... I wonder if there's a sharp edge on my roller; it doesn't break at the bridge end. Never happened before to any other strings.
I replaced them with Ambra 800 basses, which I think I'm finding a little low tension. I like the Setas a lot, but not at the rate of a failure every week or so.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:14 am

Hey Contreras...I've had separation issues on non silk strings by Aquila...in fact it was the D strings...I think there is something to do with the wire wrap...the way it is wound...or the wire material itself. My current D strings did not have unwinding issues. But I did have 3 Aquila D strings have unwinding issues on the wire wrap material.

The ends of the strings get moved around a lot in transit. Aquila strings use less packaging material than most strings out there...I like this from an environmental standpoint...but I think the defects are not in string manufacture, but the actually packaging materials allowing the strings to shift around too much in the plastic packaging...

If the wire becomes ever so slightly frayed in transition...once you run it through the bridge hole unwinding happens. That has been my experience, but I still like the tone of Aquila more than anybody else.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”