Swedish 18th Century Sonata played on Hauser I

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Fretful

Re: Swedish 18th Century Sonata played on Hauser I

Post by Fretful » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:22 am

Wonderful, Marten!
May I suggest that, following your "London Debut" at the Swedish Church, you send these two recordings (or those of your Russian repertoire) to the powers that be at St Martin in the Fields with a view of giving a Lunch Time Concert there ? You would get a good and appreciative audience.

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:42 pm

Fretful wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:22 am
Wonderful, Marten!
May I suggest that, following your "London Debut" at the Swedish Church, you send these two recordings (or those of your Russian repertoire) to the powers that be at St Martin in the Fields with a view of giving a Lunch Time Concert there ? You would get a good and appreciative audience.
Thank you for this advice! In the beginning of the summer, after coming back from a tour where I played exclusively Russian guitar, a very good filmmaker recorded a whole hour where I play Russian guitar. I am waiting for him to finish the editing (he used three cameras), after that I will try my luck with sending that film which will be of a much higher professional quality.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:30 pm

Great recordings and piece!

I am not at all familiar with the history of Swedish guitar. If you do any more explorations in this area, I would love to see / hear them.

cheers!
dirck

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:24 pm

MartenFalk wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:42 pm
a very good filmmaker recorded a whole hour where I play Russian guitar. I am waiting for him to finish the editing (he used three cameras), after that I will try my luck with sending that film which will be of a much higher professional quality.
Delighted to hear it! All who heard you were very impressed with your highly unusual and beautiful Russian repertoire and the way you played it. Do also send your film to Tom Kerstens of the LGF, London ought to receive your offering with open ears and arms!

Dartez82

Post by Dartez82 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:17 am

A pleasure to listen to! First time hearing it. What kind of technique do you utilize to make this sound its best in contrast to other guitars?
Last edited by Dartez82 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dartez82

Post by Dartez82 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:19 am

Deleted

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:20 am

Fretful wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:24 pm
MartenFalk wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:42 pm
a very good filmmaker recorded a whole hour where I play Russian guitar. I am waiting for him to finish the editing (he used three cameras), after that I will try my luck with sending that film which will be of a much higher professional quality.
Delighted to hear it! All who heard you were very impressed with your highly unusual and beautiful Russian repertoire and the way you played it. Do also send your film to Tom Kerstens of the LGF, London ought to receive your offering with open ears and arms!
Thank you, I will certainly do that. I hope the editor will be finished soon, and when he is, I will let you know!

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:27 am

Dartez82 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:17 am
A pleasure to listen to! First time hearing it. What kind of technique do you utilize to make this sound its best in contrast to other guitars?
Well, that is very difficult to describe in text...
But I will try some hints: the Viennese guitars have normally much treble and sustain but not a full bass. If played "wrongly" the treble can sound hard and sharp so it is important to slide along; "caressing" the trebles. Preferably with not so much nail.
As for the bass, one should not try to play them too hard, they often sound better as a soft "background" to a singing treble melody.
But most aspects of playing different guitars is to get to know them and then instinctively play them in such a way that will make them sound their best. It is very difficult to describe in words...

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 am

MartenFalk wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:27 am
Dartez82 wrote:
But I will try some hints:
My understanding is that you also use unusual strings ... might you "touch" on that ?

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:36 am

I like it a lot, your playing and the recording. Always good to hear something diferent! Congratuations and thank you for posting.

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:48 am

Fretful wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 am
MartenFalk wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:27 am
Dartez82 wrote:
But I will try some hints:
My understanding is that you also use unusual strings ... might you "touch" on that ?
I am very devoted to Aquila Alabastro strings. On my 19th century guitars (or in this case 19th century style guitar), I use Alabastro 19 c (meaning 19th century) and on modern guitars I use 20 c.
These strings are intended to somewhat imitate gut strings and I find that they are very mellow and with a beautiful sound. The 19 c are of a lighter tension which also suits these guitars.
Another thing: I prefer a lower tuning; around A= 427-430, normally that makes the guitar sound more resonant.

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:53 am

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:36 am
I like it a lot, your playing and the recording. Always good to hear something diferent! Congratuations and thank you for posting.
Thank you, I am happy to hear that!

Return to “Public Space”