Museums w Instrument Collections Guitar

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
BellyDoc

Re: Museums w Instrument Collections Guitar

Post by BellyDoc » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:45 pm

Nobody’s mentioned the Musical Instrument Museum here in Scottsdale AZ! It’s really an important collection but not specifically of guitars. The instruments are collected by region of origin and are presented in association with audio/video of regional music that the museum-goer receives using a headset activated by proximity to the display. There are numerous guitars, guitar-relatives and guitar predecessors on display in multiple regional collections. There is a Martin sponsored luthiery display. Recently, there was an incredible exhibit on the art of guitar inlay titled “Dragons and Vines”. There’s also a theater space designed specifically for music and a great schedule of interesting performers from American genres and around the world. It’s really a fantastic museum. I take my family and out of town guests there frequently and I never feel like I’ve over visited.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:24 pm

In Vienna, there is the fantastic Kunsthistorisches Museum with its Collection of Historic Musical Instruments (however, I think that the instrument collection may be closed temporarily until later this summer, 2018, so one better check if they're wanting to go...). It has a tremendous collection of plucked stringed instruments, including one of the largest collections of old lutes in the world (plus guitars, and a whole range of other instruments).

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:44 pm

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of the world's musical instrument museums:

http://amis.org/resources/index.html

Over the years I've used their list of technical instrument drawings that relate to guitars and lutes in various collections around the globe. Fantastic resource.
http://network.icom.museum/cimcim/resou ... st/#c20440
Historicalguitars.

CliffK

Post by CliffK » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:19 pm

Thx all!
Michael Thames 2010 It Spruce/BR
Rockbridge SJ cedar/mahagony 2007, cutaway, inlay

John Oster

Post by John Oster » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:46 pm

BellyDoc wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:45 pm
Nobody’s mentioned the Musical Instrument Museum here in Scottsdale AZ! It’s really an important collection but not specifically of guitars. The instruments are collected by region of origin and are presented in association with audio/video of regional music that the museum-goer receives using a headset activated by proximity to the display. There are numerous guitars, guitar-relatives and guitar predecessors on display in multiple regional collections. There is a Martin sponsored luthiery display. Recently, there was an incredible exhibit on the art of guitar inlay titled “Dragons and Vines”. There’s also a theater space designed specifically for music and a great schedule of interesting performers from American genres and around the world. It’s really a fantastic museum. I take my family and out of town guests there frequently and I never feel like I’ve over visited.
I visited it last spring--really an amazing place!
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br
Kenny Hill Signature 2017 spruce/cedar/Indian

Torrescaster

Post by Torrescaster » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:23 pm

IIRC Museum of Fine Arts in Boston has a nice musical instrument collection, including some lutes and older guitars.

http://www.mfa.org/node/9489

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:45 am

The Museo de la Guitarra in Almeria has a selection of guitars by Torres which illustrate how his designs evolved. They even have a couple of guitars you can play, one of which is electric!!! The one pretending to be a classical is by some margin the worst guitar I have ever played. The bass strings were black with the accumulated deposits from countless sweaty fingers and were most unwilling to produce a sound of any sort. The trebles made it quite clear that they are made of plastic..
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

hoppy

Post by hoppy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:21 pm

Second the Horniman in south London which I went to recently some lovely baroque instruments. Amusingly they have period instruments worth probably many thousands of pounds and then the electric guitar and bass examples are cheap fender rip offs worth £100.

CliffK

Post by CliffK » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:59 pm

Thx all.

Here is an interesting website on a famous Torres:

https://www.lainvencibledetorres.com/en/
Michael Thames 2010 It Spruce/BR
Rockbridge SJ cedar/mahagony 2007, cutaway, inlay

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:50 pm

At the moment I'm in Milan for a business and holiday trip. Today I've visited the Musei Civici del Castello Sforzesco. I knew there is an exhibition of musical instruments, but I was not aware that is so large. There are hundreds of instruments from the last centuries including many real treasures. There is also a beautiful collection of guitars. The Monzino collection consists of 80 instruments including many guitars from the 18th to the 20th century. One of the highlights is the chitarra battente by Mango Longo from Naples built in the 17th century (see last picture). This museum is really a 'must' - especially for luthiers.
Here some pictures from today:
foto2.jpg
foto4.jpg
foto1.jpg
foto3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

Richwilly

Post by Richwilly » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:35 pm

Visited a flamenco museum in Malaga a couple of years ago. Am in Malaga for a few days right now. Will see if I can find it again and post some details and maybe even a few photos.

Victoria and Albert museum in London has some wonderful lutes.
2009 Pablo Requena spruce
2013 David Rouse spruce 7 string
2016 David Rouse cedar

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:52 am

After visiting the Musei Civici del Castello Sforzesco in Milan in July I've been in the Museu de la Musica in Barcelona today. They have a nice collection of instruments, but maybe not as big as the one in Milan. But the guitar collection is great, with 3 Antonio Torres guitars (see picture) and many other guitars from the 18th and 19th centuries. There are a few guitars that look like modern guitars built before the Torres guitars, so I'm not so sure about the real contribution of Torres.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:14 pm

The cutaway on the right is quite interesting. Do you remember anything about it.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:24 pm

Richwilly wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:35 pm
Visited a flamenco museum in Malaga a couple of years ago. Am in Malaga for a few days right now. Will see if I can find it again and post some details and maybe even a few photos.

Victoria and Albert museum in London has some wonderful lutes.
I heard that the instrument department has been closed. I've seen it but it was many years ago, probably very early 90's. They had a lovely Pages guitar (many others), oh and a Strad violin.
Historicalguitars.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:48 pm

simonm wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:14 pm
The cutaway on the right is quite interesting. Do you remember anything about it.
Is a Pere Antoni Xernena guitar from the 19th century. I remember some Pages guitars (Jose and Pedro?), one Mirecourt, a Simplicio from the 1920ies, and two Fletas from the 1950ies.

Return to “Public Space”