Estanislao Marco

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Polifemo de Oro

Estanislao Marco

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:46 pm

He was one of Francisco Tárrega’s favorite students and was also, in turn, the esteemed teacher of a young Narciso Yepes. Yet, we barely know anything about him or are familiar with his many beautiful works for guitar. Why this should be so is a good question. It seems that he put the capstone on late Romantic expression well within the context of a 20th century that no longer seemed to have any need for the tender charms of this type of music, perhaps preferring even to disparage it or to forget it. In any case, his works were lost for a time; and the story behind how they were rediscovered and subsequently published is fascinating!

I’m spending the weekend reading through the excellent four volume compilation of the guitar works of Estanislao Marco (1873 - 1954) by guitarist and composer, Jorge Orozco. This is an important body of work that Mr. Orozco has completed and it is a wonderful, new addition to our repertoire. I highly recommend these volumes to all.

(Incidentally, Rob MacKillop will be pleased to know that Estanislao Marco played without nails! :D )
Last edited by Polifemo de Oro on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

tateharmann

Re: Estanislao Marco

Post by tateharmann » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:17 pm

Love his music, first heard it here: http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/audios/la-g ... 3/1815507/
"One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:53 pm

Of course, he played without nails, like any sensible person ;-)

To me he was just a name I came across once or twice, so thanks, Poli, on the heads up. I'll seek out those volumes.

I've enjoyed adding Arcas, José Viñas, and, most recently, Graciano Tarragó to my repertoire. It sounds like Estanislao Marco might be contender.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:08 pm

Sadly, I can't find these editions in the UK at the moment. Who has published them?

I did manage to listen to extracts to the recordings of his music by Orozco, and they sound delightful, and very interesting.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:27 am

These beautiful works are published by Piles Editorial de Música S.A., Valencia, Spain.

http://www.pilesmusic.com

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:55 am

I was ordering them from Piles (they need a better name!) until they gave details of the postage - the same as the book - around 25 euros each. That makes it twice the price. I'll wait until they appear in the UK.

simonm

Post by simonm » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:00 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:I was ordering them from Piles (they need a better name!) until they gave details of the postage - the same as the book - around 25 euros each. That makes it twice the price. I'll wait until they appear in the UK.
Look on the UK version of e .. bay. I don't know if the volumes are the correct ones but a German seller is offering free postage to the UK.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:59 pm

Thanks. I looked - nearly 10 Euros postage. However, it still works out for book and postage to be less than half the price from the publisher. So, I've ordered the first volume. I'll see how that goes before ordering the others.

HomerB

Post by HomerB » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:06 pm

[quoteLove his music, first heard it here: http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/audios/la-g ... 3/1815507/][/quote]

These were fantastic. Thank you, Eric and Tateharmann.

:merci:
Randall Block

Angella 2015
Wolverton 2016

jdykes

Post by jdykes » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:30 pm

Three recordings corresponding to the first three volumes/books are available on eyetunes.

There is a fourth volume/book available now as well - the recording is (I believe) only availabe, at present, from the publisher.

The first three volumes are excellent - not as fussy about the fourth. Orzoco's recordings are very nice - very stylish. Nice that while he makes a few changes in the fingerings, etc. on the recording he (I'm almost certain) leaves all the fingerings as they were in the manuscripts - certainly there are subtle differences between the two.

I paid for shipping overseas (first three volumes all at once) so they were expensive but the music is wonderful and I never experienced 'buyers remorse' over the purchase.

jdykes

Post by jdykes » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:35 pm

...meant to add there are more than a half dozen complete pieces on YouTube - easily searched...Jorge Orozco...Marco...

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:21 am

I just listened to a bunch of the songs from this collection. Wow! Such beautiful music. Very much in the style of Tarrega, but I think in some ways the melodies are even more beautiful than Tarrega's on some of the songs. I am going to order these volumes soon. I love the Romantic repertoire.

Thank you for pointing these out Poli!

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:30 am

jdykes wrote:Nice that while he makes a few changes in the fingerings, etc. on the recording he (I'm almost certain) leaves all the fingerings as they were in the manuscripts - certainly there are subtle differences between the two.
That is correct, Maestro Orozco has left all of the original fingerings (both left-hand and, in many cases even, right-hand fingerings!) in the newly published material as they were in the original. These are as generous as they are logical and musical as well.

This is really beautiful music that deserves to be more familiar to and played by us all!

In the United States these volumes are easily obtained from Los Angeles Classical Guitars.

(Incidentally, there are four volumes available. In my initial posting I had mistakenly said three.)

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:52 am

I emailed the Spanish Guitar Centre in England, who apparently have the biggest stock of guitar music in thee world, to see if they will be getting these editions in store. Well, I got a reply saying they won't be, as the import duty is so high, it is not worth his while. Plus, he went on to say, there is no demand for the music. Well, I was demanding, or at least enquiringly about it. I guess it needs some players of international stature to start playing these pieces. I can imagine David Russell turning people on to them.
So, I have the first volume on the way from Germany.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:07 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:I emailed the Spanish Guitar Centre in England, who apparently have the biggest stock of guitar music in thee world, to see if they will be getting these editions in store. Well, I got a reply saying they won't be, as the import duty is so high, it is not worth his while. Plus, he went on to say, there is no demand for the music. Well, I was demanding, or at least enquiringly about it. I guess it needs some players of international stature to start playing these pieces. I can imagine David Russell turning people on to them.
So, I have the first volume on the way from Germany.

Well, these volumes display brief endorsements of Mr. Orozco by the likes of Alirio Díaz, Roland Dyens, Leo Brouwer, and David Russell. I'm sure that once one of these big guns or another like them plays one of these pieces in public then the Spanish Guitar Centre will be falling all over themselves in picking them up for customers. It is only a matter of time.

Return to “Public Space”