Estanislao Marco

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
RobMacKillop

Re: Estanislao Marco

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:56 pm

Agreed.

Finn Wandahl

Post by Finn Wandahl » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:57 pm

Estanislao Marco
Postby Polifemo de Oro » Sunday 07 February 2016, 17:46 pm

He was one of Francisco Tárrega’s favorite students and was also, in turn, the esteemed teacher of a young Narciso Yepes...

Maybe that was where Naciso Yepes got his Torres FE 20 1864 from, somehow - I mean, who knows?
Finn Wandahl - Copenhagen

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:22 pm

Polifemo de Oro wrote:
jdykes wrote:Nice that while he makes a few changes in the fingerings, etc. on the recording he (I'm almost certain) leaves all the fingerings as they were in the manuscripts - certainly there are subtle differences between the two.
That is correct, Maestro Orozco has left all of the original fingerings (both left-hand and, in many cases even, right-hand fingerings!) in the newly published material as they were in the original. These are as generous as they are logical and musical as well.

This is really beautiful music that deserves to be more familiar to and played by us all!

In the United States these volumes are easily obtained from Los Angeles Classical Guitars.

(Incidentally, there are four volumes available. In my initial posting I had mistakenly said three.)
They're not. Volumes I - III are out of stock.

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Post by MartinCogg » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:35 pm

On the subject of new/old romantics - I never heard of Rudolf Leberl (1884-1952) before this new naxos release caught
my attention -

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp ... 9.70244-45

Chanterelle published op46 + op48 .

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:44 pm

Polifemo de Oro wrote:
RobMacKillop wrote:I emailed the Spanish Guitar Centre in England, who apparently have the biggest stock of guitar music in thee world, to see if they will be getting these editions in store. Well, I got a reply saying they won't be, as the import duty is so high, it is not worth his while. Plus, he went on to say, there is no demand for the music. Well, I was demanding, or at least enquiringly about it. I guess it needs some players of international stature to start playing these pieces. I can imagine David Russell turning people on to them.
So, I have the first volume on the way from Germany.

Well, these volumes display brief endorsements of Mr. Orozco by the likes of Alirio Díaz, Roland Dyens, Leo Brouwer, and David Russell. I'm sure that once one of these big guns or another like them plays one of these pieces in public then the Spanish Guitar Centre will be falling all over themselves in picking them up for customers. It is only a matter of time.
Any volumes you would recommend over others Poli?
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:55 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:
Polifemo de Oro wrote:
RobMacKillop wrote:I emailed the Spanish Guitar Centre in England, who apparently have the biggest stock of guitar music in thee world, to see if they will be getting these editions in store. Well, I got a reply saying they won't be, as the import duty is so high, it is not worth his while. Plus, he went on to say, there is no demand for the music. Well, I was demanding, or at least enquiringly about it. I guess it needs some players of international stature to start playing these pieces. I can imagine David Russell turning people on to them.
So, I have the first volume on the way from Germany.

Well, these volumes display brief endorsements of Mr. Orozco by the likes of Alirio Díaz, Roland Dyens, Leo Brouwer, and David Russell. I'm sure that once one of these big guns or another like them plays one of these pieces in public then the Spanish Guitar Centre will be falling all over themselves in picking them up for customers. It is only a matter of time.
Any volumes you would recommend over others Poli?
Here is what you do: go out to iTunes and look up Estanislao Marco, Jorge Orozco playing, listen to the 3 volumes and pick for yourself! His CDs correspond exactly to the music contained in the published volumes (except that he has not recorded volume 4 yet). Of course, you won't be able to listen to entire pieces this way, but you will get a better idea.

For me, it is hard to say because I love them all! I guess Volume 1 I'd think is pretty indispensable.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:00 pm

Does Volume 1 have have an historical introduction? I'd like to know more about the man. This is the volume I have on order.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:13 pm

Hi Rob. Yes, the first 36 pages of Volume 1 are dedicated to introduction/historical information. Some of this is repeated in all the other volumes as well.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:14 pm

Good. Thanks.

[BTW, I'm just about to upload a new video of five Catalan Christmas Carols, arranged by one-time Llobet pupil, Graciano Tarragó.]

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:16 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:Good. Thanks.

[BTW, I'm just about to upload a new video of five Catalan Christmas Carols, arranged by one-time Llobet pupil, Graciano Tarragó.]
Actually, I don't think I can upload it to Delcamp...not old enough in time. You can see it on my youtube page: https://youtu.be/kl97lsBlB8Q

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:04 am

Well... I ordered volumes I and III. I loved a couple songs on II, but I thought III won out. I guess we will have to see! Maybe in a few months I will get II and IV.

My order won't ship for another 4-6 weeks it says. So... now I wait... tapping my fingers slowly and methodically...
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:17 am

Philosopherguy wrote:Well... I ordered volumes I and III. I loved a couple songs on II, but I thought III won out. I guess we will have to see! Maybe in a few months I will get II and IV.

My order won't ship for another 4-6 weeks it says. So... now I wait... tapping my fingers slowly and methodically...
It seems that word is getting out about these wonderful works. Four-six weeks will go by in a flash; and I'm sure that once you do receive them they will turn out to have been well worth the wait. I think that eventually you will want to buy volumes II and IV as well.

These pieces are all such fun to play and are so idiomatic to the guitar. I would say that most of them are intermediate level; nothing is really what I would consider as being difficult music to play. Volume four is especially interesting because it contains an extended piece that features the tremolo called, Sensitiva, as well as some other interesting pieces with more of an Andalucian flavor, such as Alegrías; Soleá; Granadina; Boceto Andaluz (the composer, it should be noted, was Valencian). These latter works are very reminiscent of Albéniz, but lie more idiomatically for the guitar than any transcription from a piano piece would. It is all music written for the guitar by a guitarist.

These guitar works were written in the years both leading up to the Spanish Civil War, then through and beyond this extremely painful time in Spain's history. They are especially redolent for this reason, I think, in that in them one can see that the composer tries to achieve both a sense of consolation as well as, perhaps, of a certain escapist nostalgia for less troubled and happier times (there is even one beautiful tango called, Recuerdos de Antaño, or Remembrances of Times Past).

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:09 am

If it's an homage to Proust, it must go on and on and on and on for ever and ever!

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:11 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:If it's an homage to Proust, it must go on and on and on and on for ever and ever!
:lol:

If it is an homage to Proust it is very abbreviated--it's only two pages long! Proust would have taken 12 pages to describe a door knob!
Last edited by Polifemo de Oro on Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:03 pm

This is totally new to me. Always cool to find something totally new. Thx.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

Return to “Public Space”