Let’s learn Sor’s Opus 60 together, shall we?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
mainterm

Re: Let’s learn Sor’s Opus 60 together, shall we?

Post by mainterm » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:02 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:54 pm
[...]
As a PS, I'd like to add that it is extremely rare to hear Sor's music with the technique outlined by him in his Method. I have no qualms about people using modern techniques with his studies, as long as we admit that we are not saying, "This is how Sor played this" or "This is how this should be played". Anyone who doesn't play with Sor's technique is creating something different than what Sor intended. As for those few who, like me, try to understand his intentions, we soon realise that there is not enough information in his Method, as well as there being contradictions in what he espouses. In other words, I too cannot say "This is how Sor played this" or "This is how this should be played". It's all done in the spirit of enquiry, and I hope my approach is understood in that light.
Thanks for posting Rob - I for one, and I hope many others, greatly appreciate musicians such as yourself who embark on these enquiries and having examples such as the pieces you record readily available via online videos and discussed in forum's such as DC is in some part how this art survives and hopefully thrives into the 21st century.

RobMacKillop

Re: Let’s learn Sor’s Opus 60 together, shall we?

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:18 pm

Thank you, mainterm. I was hoping someone had read what I wrote :-) Sometimes I think people here think I'm insane :-) Good to know my work is appreciated.

Return to “Public Space”