D'Addario Two-Way Humidification System question

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
bjolester

D'Addario Two-Way Humidification System question

Post by bjolester » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:32 pm

I recently purchased a Yamaha GC32C, and after some googling realised that I needed some kind of humidification to make sure my new guitar stays healty during the long Norwegian winter. I ended up with the D'Addario Two-Way Humidification System.

I have the old version with the double pouch that fits into the soundhole of the guitar. When installing the pouch I can see that the bottom of the pouch touches the inside of the guitar, where the Yamaha serialnumber and "Made in Japan" label is placed. I am worried that the D'Addario pouch will mess up the Yamaha label, and I also find the whole procedure of inserting the pouch between the strings is rather cumbersome. Is there an alternative way to use the double soundhole pouch instead of inserting it into the guitar? The second pouch is installed per instruction manual at the top of the guitar case (underneath the head of the guitar).

BTW: The Yamaha GC32C is a wonderful guitar!
Last edited by bjolester on Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Yamaha GC32C
1976 Ibanez Howard Roberts archtop jazzguitar

Aucaman

Re: D'Addario Two-Way Humidification System question

Post by Aucaman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:23 pm

I would only worry if you were using a type of humidifier that requires that you fill it with water and then -when you insert it- the humidifier touches your guitar label inside. In the specific case of the D'Addario Two Way Humidification system, the stuff inside is sealed in a bag which is then placed inside the black pouch. You don't have to mess with water.
I would not worry about it.
All the best

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:41 pm

Aucaman wrote:I would only worry if you were using a type of humidifier that requires that you fill it with water and then -when you insert it- the humidifier touches your guitar label inside. In the specific case of the D'Addario Two Way Humidification system, the stuff inside is sealed in a bag which is then placed inside the black pouch. You don't have to mess with water.
I would not worry about it.
All the best
There is another system for the sound hole, where both packs go into a single bag that is hung from a plastic support that goes across the strings. It's easier to insert and I tried it for a while, but it turned out to be cumbersome in its own way and I went back to the older method. I use it in two very nice guitars and have had no ill effects. And you just get used to sliding them in between strings. The one change I make is to hang them so that the smooth sides (that is, the sides opposite the "pouch" where you put the packets) face inwards. That way, the edge of the pouch doesn't always catch on the strings when taking the bags out.
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:04 pm

Christopher Freitag wrote:The one change I make is to hang them so that the smooth sides (that is, the sides opposite the "pouch" where you put the packets) face inwards. That way, the edge of the pouch doesn't always catch on the strings when taking the bags out.
You can hang it either way. I always hang it with the smooth sides facing inwards and the pouches on the outside, for the very reason you give.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:36 pm

I've used this for years with no problems whatsoever.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

jayjayrose

Post by jayjayrose » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:53 pm

I have one of these and used it until the packets got hard. Then I switched to an Oasis/D'Addario guitar humidifier. I just do not see how the 2-way system could possibly work if your climate is hot and dry for months at a time (read: New England in winter) Ya gotta be adding water all the time. If I lived somewhere else, where the humidity fluctuated between rather dry and rather humid, it might have a chance, but not around here. Or am I missing something?
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:33 am

jayjayrose wrote:I have one of these and used it until the packets got hard. Then I switched to an Oasis/D'Addario guitar humidifier. I just do not see how the 2-way system could possibly work if your climate is hot and dry for months at a time (read: New England in winter) Ya gotta be adding water all the time. If I lived somewhere else, where the humidity fluctuated between rather dry and rather humid, it might have a chance, but not around here. Or am I missing something?
I'm in NY state. The packets do get hard after time. When they do, I seal them in jar with a couple of those Oasis humidifiers. In a day or two the packets are ready to use again. In both of my cases (a BAM and a Visesnut) the humidity stays right around 50%. I don't play the Vasquez Rubio often, but the humidity stays constant even if I don't open the case for 3 weeks.
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

Aucaman

Post by Aucaman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:56 am

What a great tip!
Thank you. I'll do exactly that.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:02 am

Aucaman wrote:What a great tip!
Thank you. I'll do exactly that.
If you use that or a similar method to re-hydrate the packs - make sure that the packs are not in contact with the water or wet surfaces. You want the packs to re-hydrate by absorbing the water vapour only.

I always take care in handling the packs as I feel that the "envelope" that contains the gel is the most vulnerable part of the system. I would always replace the packs after 6 months max because I think that repeated handling as you insert and remove the pouches from the guitar will probably gradually weaken the "envelope" of the pouches. Whether or not that is the case it is better to be safe than sorry IMO.

PS I would avoid the new D'Addario system like the plague. It is a single pouch which is suspended on a hard plastic holder that fits on the strings. My impression is that the system is designed to be leak proof (which is a good thing) but the suspension system is more suited to steel strung guitars - if used on a classical I would fear damage to the top.

All is not lost though because Boveda do saddle bag pouches which are designed for guitars and which are made of leak-proof material (though the tops of the pouches are open, of course).

Muggins Simoon

Post by Muggins Simoon » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:00 pm

When are they going back to the dual pouch system? Can't use the single bag/ stick system .
1995 Richard Schneider
1998 Christopher Dean
2000 Otto Vowinkel
2011 Mathieu Trepanier
1979 Dauphin 40

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:27 pm

Muggins Simoon wrote:When are they going back to the dual pouch system? Can't use the single bag/ stick system .
I use the Boveda Saddlebag Pouch for Guitars for my packs. It is very similar to the old Planetwaves saddlebag pouch but is made from leakproof material which is actually thinner than the old Planetwaves pouches. They are slightly wider, but as the material is thinner and very flexible that doesn't pose a problem.

jayjayrose

Post by jayjayrose » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:39 am

Christopher Freitag wrote:
jayjayrose wrote:I have one of these and used it until the packets got hard. Then I switched to an Oasis/D'Addario guitar humidifier. I just do not see how the 2-way system could possibly work if your climate is hot and dry for months at a time (read: New England in winter) Ya gotta be adding water all the time. If I lived somewhere else, where the humidity fluctuated between rather dry and rather humid, it might have a chance, but not around here. Or am I missing something?
I'm in NY state. The packets do get hard after time. When they do, I seal them in jar with a couple of those Oasis humidifiers. In a day or two the packets are ready to use again. In both of my cases (a BAM and a Visesnut) the humidity stays right around 50%. I don't play the Vasquez Rubio often, but the humidity stays constant even if I don't open the case for 3 weeks.
Great idea. I wondered if they were reusable. Now I know. Thanks!
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:03 pm

I've always found them cumbersome to insert and remove from the sound hole of a classical since they are more designed for steel string guitars which have larger sound holes. So I opt to keep them at the head stock. If your case has space by the heal of the neck, they can go there as well. I use my own home made sponge solution for the sound hole. When I play my guitar, I want the process of opening the case and removing the guitar to be quick, painless and smooth.

The main thing you need to worry about with these humidipaks is that they have liquid inside. Be extra careful when handling them to ensure you don't accidently puncture the packet as there have been numerous reports of them leaking inside the guitar and causing permanent damage (you can easily find these reviews online). Since they are cumbersome to insert and remove from the sound hole and there is that possible risk of puncturing the bag when doing this, I only use them at the head stock or at the heal of the neck.

As far as their reusability is concerned... I have a set of 3 packs that are almost a year old and they are still running strong. I have 6 packets in total that I basically cycle between so that they never run dry. While one set is being used, the other set is being recharged *See picture below*. I'm glad I only have one guitar now, so I only need 2 sets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

bjolester

Post by bjolester » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:54 pm

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience with the Planet Waves humidification system!
2016 Yamaha GC32C
1976 Ibanez Howard Roberts archtop jazzguitar

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Even though I re-hydrate my packs I put a date on them when I start to use them and I always throw them out after 6 months. Repeated handling will inevitably affect and probably weaken the outer skin of the packs and the very last thing I want is for them to leak in my guitars.

Return to “Public Space”