D'Addario Two-Way Humidification System question

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
bjolester

Re: D'Addario Two-Way Humidification System question

Post by bjolester » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:17 pm

souldier wrote:I've always found them cumbersome to insert and remove from the sound hole of a classical since they are more designed for steel string guitars which have larger sound holes. So I opt to keep them at the head stock. If your case has space by the heal of the neck, they can go there as well. I use my own home made sponge solution for the sound hole. When I play my guitar, I want the process of opening the case and removing the guitar to be quick, painless and smooth.

The main thing you need to worry about with these humidipaks is that they have liquid inside. Be extra careful when handling them to ensure you don't accidently puncture the packet as there have been numerous reports of them leaking inside the guitar and causing permanent damage (you can easily find these reviews online). Since they are cumbersome to insert and remove from the sound hole and there is that possible risk of puncturing the bag when doing this, I only use them at the head stock or at the heal of the neck.

As far as their reusability is concerned... I have a set of 3 packs that are almost a year old and they are still running strong. I have 6 packets in total that I basically cycle between so that they never run dry. While one set is being used, the other set is being recharged *See picture below*. I'm glad I only have one guitar now, so I only need 2 sets.
Although I only have used the Planet Waves system for maybe a week or so, I adhere to your views. In addition I feel bad when installing the Planet Waves pouche and observing how much friction there is between the pouch and the soundhole. It does not take too much reasoning to realise that this practise eventually will mark the edge of the soundhole and possibly also the edge of the fretboard, if playing the guitar every day. My guitar is not the most expensive in the world, but it is brand new and I treat it like a precious jewel :D Therefore it just does not feel right to force the pouch into the soundhole. It also messes up the tuning :(

I believe I also want place the Planes Waves pouches at the headstock and find another solution for the soundhole.

Could I ask what kind of device you have come up with for use in the soundhole?
2016 Yamaha GC32C
1976 Ibanez Howard Roberts archtop jazzguitar

jdart3000

Post by jdart3000 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:05 pm

Christopher Freitag wrote:
jayjayrose wrote:I have one of these and used it until the packets got hard. Then I switched to an Oasis/D'Addario guitar humidifier. I just do not see how the 2-way system could possibly work if your climate is hot and dry for months at a time (read: New England in winter) Ya gotta be adding water all the time. If I lived somewhere else, where the humidity fluctuated between rather dry and rather humid, it might have a chance, but not around here. Or am I missing something?
I'm in NY state. The packets do get hard after time. When they do, I seal them in jar with a couple of those Oasis humidifiers. In a day or two the packets are ready to use again. In both of my cases (a BAM and a Visesnut) the humidity stays right around 50%. I don't play the Vasquez Rubio often, but the humidity stays constant even if I don't open the case for 3 weeks.
I REALLY wanted this system to work. I liked the idea of it - a stable amount of humidity no matter what the season. But the humidity inside the case was always the same as the humidity outside the case. Also, the packets never became hard, even after several months of use. D'Addario offered some helpful tips and even sent me several sets of replacements packets. My only conclusion is that the system can only work if you are using a completely sealed case, like the BAM and Visesnut you mentioned. Using a standard hard case, the system just doesn't seem strong enough to keep up.

John
"Art is not something which you can take or leave. It is a necessity of human life" -- Oscar Wilde

2012 German Vazquez Rubio Estudio - Spruce
1979 Sakurai Kohno No. 10 - Cedar
2006 Alhambra 4P - Spruce

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:11 pm

My hygrometer rests in the gap in my case between the guitar's upper bout and the case. The humidipaks are in the sound hole. Another one is at the head, which is separated from the rest of the case. I wonder if the humidity in the sound hole--inside of the guitar--is greater than what's measured by my hygrometer, since, with the lid closed, the sound hole too is sealed off from the rest of the case. Right? (That's not a rhetorical question, I'm actually not sure.)
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:16 pm

Jeffrey, I once put a logging hygrometers in the body of the guitar and another by the heel. The one in the body did give a somewhat higher reading.

(There was one humidipak at the head and two suspended in the soundhole.)
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:26 pm

Thanks, John! this may be worth emailing D'addario about...in any case, your experiment is reassuring. I also don't have a completely sealed case. Nevertheless there is some variation between the humidity on the inside of my case and outside. Lately though, the inside measurements have been lower than what I'm used to--close to the outside measurement. But I'm still getting a ~45% reading.

edit: I just sent an email to D'addario.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:50 pm

D'addario's (Planet Wave's) answer to my question as to whether the humidity on the inside of the guitar is greater than what's measured by a hygrometer on the outside of the body, but inside the case, was: :"most likely, yes. the inside of the guitar is what's being targeted for the release of moisture."

Makes sense. "Most likely" isn't quite as definitive as I'd like.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:14 pm

Jeffrey, I think it is inevitable that there will be variations in RH within the case, the "leakier" the case the greater the variations will be. However, I don't think it is a cause for concern as long as the variations are within reasonable limits.

By the way, the sound hole is by no means sealed when the case is closed. There is sufficient space for the water vapour to diffuse throughout the case.

Aucaman

Post by Aucaman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:12 am

Just got the Two-Way Humidifiers from Boveda (the company that makes them for D'Addario).
They are way too big for my guitar. Is my Kenny Hill Performance too small?
Did I miss something?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:26 am

Aucaman wrote:Just got the Two-Way Humidifiers from Boveda (the company that makes them for D'Addario).
Did I miss something?
The Boveda saddlebag pouches are quite wide but once a pack is in each of the pouches you will find that some of the material can be folded over and the two ends of the saddlebag can be gently eased between the 2nd and 3rd strings and between the 4th and 5th strings. At least they can in two of my guitars.

The exception is when a guitar has a fretboard that extends beyond the rim of the soundhole, usually on the treble side only. In this case it is not possible to insert a pouch between the 2nd and 3rd strings without scrunching it up to an extent that risks weakening the outer envelope of the pack. So you are left with inserting one of the pouches between the 3rd and 4th strings instead.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:41 am

The Oasis/D'Addario humidifiers are much more sensible and functional, as well as a smaller drain on your finances.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Aucaman

Post by Aucaman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:54 am

OK. Thanks for the tip, JohnB.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:11 am

I have the old pouch system. Looks like the new pouches don't work as well. The old black pouches are easy enough to put in and take out. Smaller than the picture above, unless that's a small sound hole.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Aucaman

Post by Aucaman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:20 am

No. It's a perfectly normal size.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:20 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:I have the old pouch system. Looks like the new pouches don't work as well. The old black pouches are easy enough to put in and take out. Smaller than the picture above, unless that's a small sound hole.
Jeffrey,

The pouches in the photos are Boveda pouches, not the new D'Addario one (which is even bigger, but is designed to take 2 packs in the one pouch).

The Boveda saddlebag pouches are made from thin very flexible (leak proof) material - so the size of the pouch isn't a problem as it can be folded over. (It would be good, though, if the humidipaks packs themselves were made slightly narrower.)

souldier

Post by souldier » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:56 pm

Aucaman wrote:Just got the Two-Way Humidifiers from Boveda (the company that makes them for D'Addario).
Did I miss something?
Your KHill is not too small. Boveda and D'addario cater more to steel string guitars that have much larger sound holes. I really dislike how tedious and slow it is to insert/remove these pouches from a classical sound hole and I fear the risk of puncturing the humidipak and getting liquid spilled inside my guitar which has happened to several already according to the online reviews.

bjolester wrote:I believe I also want place the Planes Waves pouches at the headstock and find another solution for the soundhole.

Could I ask what kind of device you have come up with for use in the soundhole?
I made my own home made solution since I have found the options on the market have flaws or things I don't like about them. Parts include:

-3" x 4", 4 Mil (Pack of 100) Heavy Duty Plastic Reclosable Zipper Bags w/ White Block
-ALL in ONE 6pcs Nylon Mesh Drawstring Bag Pouches for Mini Stuff Cellphone Mp3 10x15cm (4x6 Inch)
-Thick dishwasher sponge cut to size
-Cardboard cut out to prevent the humidifier from falling into the guitar

I prefer this solution because it is virtually leak/idiot proof, isn't made of any hard plastics that will not damage the guitar, puts zero strain on the strings, inexpensive, fits perfectly in the sound hole, easy to tell if its dry, very effective and can easily be replaced. Coupled with some propylene glycol water solution, it can have the same effect as d'addario humidipaks by absorbing/releasing moisture as needed. Another nice feature is I can use another plastic bag with less holes to slow down the rate of moisture release as needed.

I've found that other products on the market don't meet all these check boxes so I made an easy DIY solution for myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Return to “Public Space”