How much to make a guitar?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Trentino

Re: How much to make a guitar?

Post by Trentino » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:29 pm

I don't know whether anybody can answer this but what difference is there , leaving aside the cosmetic, between a Stephen Eden Cadenza and a full blown Stephen Eden guitar in terms of tone, projection, playability etc. Are there any differences in the quality of woods used for example or on who in Stephen Eden's workshop does the setting up etc.
vigmostad wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:13 pm
I wish more makers offered a model like Stephen Eden´s Cadenza. It proves that it is possible to make a really good guitar at at modest price by sacrifising a bit of cosmetics.

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:59 pm

Trentino wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:29 pm
I don't know whether anybody can answer this but what difference is there , leaving aside the cosmetic, between a Stephen Eden Cadenza and a full blown Stephen Eden guitar in terms of tone, projection, playability etc. Are there any differences in the quality of woods used for example or on who in Stephen Eden's workshop does the setting up etc.
To answer your question about materials quality and setup - best to ask the man himself as he's a member on this forum: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=41684

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Trentino

Post by Trentino » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:37 pm

Will do . Didn't do so when I posted my enquiry because I was unsure of the protocol re private messages.
Thanks

Eduardo Bossa

Post by Eduardo Bossa » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:44 pm

Alan Carruth wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:21 pm
Some years ago a well-known maker took me aside at a show and chewed me out because my prices were too low. When I raised them I got a lot more sales. If the price is not high enough people think there's something wrong with the guitar.
I my own experience, Alan is spot on on this one. I was once (a long time ago) a classical guitar conservatory student, and I am very familiar with the struggle to find a proper sounding and playing concert classical guitar for a decent price, like most students and young professionals have to go through. Now that I'm on the luthier side of things, I designed a line of guitars to try and fulfill this market. My requirements were: not industrial made; sub $3,000 cost; play and sound on par with a concert level instrument; simple yet beautiful; had to include a hard case. It can be done - it is not easy, but it is definitely possible. So I went for it and came out with my Recital line of great sounding, excellent quality, and well thought out guitars for a very competitive price. But I was very surprised that guitarists always kept coming for my Concert high end model, which is much more expensive. And if you ask me, the Recital guitars are much better bang for your buck. Of course, you get luxury appointments with the higher end guitar, but the best tuning machines in the world won't make your guitar any better. Don't get me wrong: my Concert guitars are more refined and complex in sound, but my less expensive guitars are no less instruments by any means.
I couldn't understand it, but I am pretty sure it is what Alan is describing. I still make the Recital guitars, but most of the demand is for my more expensive guitars. Ironic, since again and again I keep hearing and reading these comments from guitarists that are looking for exactly this type of instrument.
www.eduardobossaguitarras.com

Return to “Public Space”