Cordoba Esteso - Cracked Fingerboard - Warranty

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Mike Atkinson

Cordoba Esteso - Cracked Fingerboard - Warranty

Post by Mike Atkinson » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:21 pm

I noticed a crack in the fingerboard of my Esteso last time I changed strings. The crack runs from the sound hole to the 11th fret; beneath the g and b strings. The crack goes all the way through the fingerboard, to the sound board at the sound hole. I could not determine if the split affected the soundboard of the guitar. It does not appear that any other wood on the instrument were affected, in any way.

Humidity got lower than I liked, even though the guitar was kept in a humidacase. I actually added a sponge to the case (in addition to the humidpad thingy). After this, humidity was able to be kept about 45%.

The instrument was returned to Cordoba's california facility, and I am working with their service department to resolve.

Here are my questions:

What are the various methods of repairing a fingerboard split of this nature?
What would be a reasonable cost for these procedures?
Beyond the fingerboard, what other parts of the guitar should I be concerned with because of this fingerboard split?
Does this split portend additional problems with the wood in the future?

So far, the dealer, and Cordoba have met all my expectations for service. Cordoba's warranty is 'repair or replace'. But I would prefer repair over replacement; if a repair doesn't lead me into more problems in the future. I think a replacement may be a hit-or-miss on sound and playability.
2018 Cordoba Esteso Cedar

Uriel Garcia

Re: Cordoba Esteso - Cracked Fingerboard - Warranty

Post by Uriel Garcia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:10 pm

Did you manage to take a picture of this crack? Was it a crack in the wood itself or on the finish? My fairly new guitar developed a 2-3 inch crack on the backside a few months back. The crack ended up on the EIRW non laminated due to the nature of the wood. The repair was done by removing some of the French polish finish, adding glue to the wood and pressing it down for a day or so. It was redone using the French polish process and it costs me $80.

My guitar is luthier made and was repaired by a well known local luthier and felt that the cost was appropriate for the fix. Hopefully Cordoba will hook you up with a free repair or very low fee for the repair.
2010 Kala KA-CGE Concert Uke'
2013 Robert England "Hauser Inspired" /Spruce Top
2014 Fender USA Nitro Strat
2016 Robert England "FE-17" /Spruce Top

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:26 am

I've attached a couple of images ... these don't show the full crack, but a good idea.

I don't believe there is any finish on the fingerboard. What I did not check, was whether the soundboard was affected or not.

It looks as if Cordoba's choice is to replace the instrument.

Once ... many years ago, I was having a gem stone set in a ring. When I went to pick it up, I noticed a chip in the stone, which was not their before they set it. My replacement stone was vastly superior to the original. I think the gemologist was embarrassed. I hope I am half as fortunate with the warranty instrument.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StevSmar

Post by StevSmar » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:27 am

Sorry to see the crack in the fingerboard of your guitar, that's quite bad.

In my opinion removing the fretboard and replacing would be quite involved, depending on the glue used. It may be better to accept a replacement?

If someone asked me to do it, I would likely grind down the existing fretboard until it could be removed without cracking the soundboard. And there's the risk of chipping the side of the neck.
Replacing the fretboard is pretty straight forward.
Refinishing the side of the fretboard and feathering it to the existing neck finish would be tough too.

I understand why you'd prefer a repair rather than a replacement, I would feel the same way.

I like the D'Addario Bluetooth humidity monitor, it send me alerts when the humidity in my case gets too low.
Regards,

Steven from Winnipeg

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:25 am

StevSmar wrote:S... removing the fretboard and replacing would be quite involved,
Yes, it is sound more and more complicated as I learn more about it. And without knowing what challenges may exist where I did not, or was not able to inspect more closely ....

Thanks for your comments.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:17 pm

Very sorry to hear that. I have one oud with a crack in the fingerboard. luckily it didn't progress. doesn't seem to impair sound or playbility. But it's much finer than the one on your pic. Hope you can work out warranty repair or replacement with them ...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:53 pm

Ebony can be prone to this kind of cracking in low humidity. Did the crack close up much after you rehumidified? It's hard to say whether it affected the soundboard or not from the pictures. It looks like not but can't say for sure. Typical repair would be to rehumidify and close up the crack, fill it with CA or Hide glue and Ebony dust and cleat the underside if there is concern about the soundboard. Done right, it can be fairly stable and fine if kept at a good humidity.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:45 pm

I am a Cordoba dealer, and I'm pretty sure you have no choice or say on the "Repair or Replace." Cordoba has sole discretion with respect to which option to exercise, and they will choose whichever is to their advantage.

There is nothing unethical or nefarious about this. It is standard procedure. They will first assess whether or not the guitar can be successfully and properly repaired. If they feel that 1) it cannot be, or 2) the cost would exceed the cost of providing a new guitar, then they will provide a new guitar. I don't believe that you can request one or the other.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:29 am

As I said, both the dealer and Cordoba have been great to work with as the the process continues.

I've been going a little stir-crazy without a classical for the past few weeks. So, I returned to the dealer and bought a C5 today, to tie me over until all is resolved. Now, a C5 is not in the Master series for Cordoba ... but it is a pretty nice guitar for the coin. And I can play my Sor studies again. :-)

scottszone

Post by scottszone » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:47 am

Could be a problem with the truss rod since the crack is right in the middle of the fingerboard.
2006 Manuel Contreras II C-5 Cedar/IRW
2016 Cordoba C7-CE Cedar/IRW
2006 Cordoba GK Studio Spruce/Cypress

Kspence

Post by Kspence » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:40 pm

How do you like the cordoba master series Esteso? I have a C10 Spruce, and a C7 Cedar and love them. I want to buy the Cordoba master series Torres one day down the road, I am a big fan of Cordoba. How did you go about getting your master series? When I get to the point of buying one I want to make sure I get one that hasn't been played by random people. I played a Cordoba Torres at the guitar center that they have in a glass case but it had scratch marks from someone playing it with a pick. If I was to get one I want it to be in pristine condition :)

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:46 pm

I adore my Esteso. I hope the warranty concern resolves as much as I appreciate my guitar.

I was fortunate enough to find a store with a variety of instruments for me to play. Each summer in Boston there is 'GuitarFest'. A nearby dealer participates in the dealer exhibit. So, they try hard to have a bunch of guitars for that show. The weekend after the show, I visited to the store and spent several hours playing several guitars. I was able to play a Torres, a Hauser, a Rodriguez, Esteso in Spruce and Esteso in Cedar, a couple of C12, and a used custom made instrument. Of the instruments I played, the Cedar Esteso spoke most clearly to me. It was so nice to have a variety of instruments to choose from.

I understand and appreciate your comments about the condition of the instrument. The first ding always hurts the most, but, at least if it is my own :-)

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:56 pm

michaeledward64 wrote: I was fortunate enough to find a store with a variety of instruments for me to play. Each summer in Boston there is 'GuitarFest'. A nearby dealer participates in the dealer exhibit. So, they try hard to have a bunch of guitars for that show. The weekend after the show, I visited to the store and spent several hours playing several guitars. I was able to play a Torres, a Hauser, a Rodriguez, Esteso in Spruce and Esteso in Cedar, a couple of C12, and a used custom made instrument. Of the instruments I played, the Cedar Esteso spoke most clearly to me. It was so nice to have a variety of instruments to choose from.
Was it Johnson String Instruments? If so, I'm pretty sure I played your Esteso this summer!
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:48 am

So, it is not quite New Guitar Day. That was actually a couple of days ago. After a long wait … Cordoba has provided the warranty replacement for my Esteso. The delay, according to those in the know, was related to CITES paperwork required from the exporter.

To my eye, this instrument is has exquisite materials and excellent craftsmanship.

The neck has broader feel than the C5 I've been playing as I wait. I think it is actually the neck profile that is different.

This guitar also seems brighter than I remember. I expect it is the strings. I use the Ramirez rather than the Savarez. I'll change the strings in another week or so.

The balance and sustain are just wonderful to my ear.

I hope that you never need to go through an event like this .... but, if you do, I hope you are as pleased with the outcome as I am.
20180713_203002.jpg
20180713_203026.jpg
20180713_203109.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:54 am

wow gorgeous back
Why is the bed never made?

Return to “Public Space”